3rd AC Unit

Racerguy

Ok, I live out west and the summers are HOT:mad: . I was wondering if a third AC unit could be added in a Monticello. There is a ceiling fan in the den, which I would take out. Is there wiring close by which I could use and do you feel there is sufficient AMPS available to run 3 units if the new unit draws 10 to 13 amps.

Cooper

You would have to put in a complete new circuit and A/C mounting supports. It might be helpful to put in double pain windows and window awnings.

Scott

Hot

Double pane windows are a must where you live. Hopefully you have them already. On a Landmark, you should already have the slide out awnings - but the addition of window awnings would definitely help if you are sitting out in the middle of the sun - with no shade trees around.

As for the third A/C - he is right you would need some extra support in the roof to add a large one.

I think you should have your vents and air flow double checked to make sure they are working at full capacity.

ST

BigBlue

BigBlue
Another thing to consider is current draw. Campgrounds are usually set up for 30 amp draw on one leg of the 50 amp service and 20 amp on the other. You would run into problems running three ACs even with 50 amp service.

Racerguy

Scott:
I do not have double pane windows. I bought the unit in Las Vegas from Johnnie Walker RV last July. Can I bring it back to the Factory and pay for replacement? I really like the unit but if we continue to stay in the desert climate, got to do something. The units are doing a good job of keeping up. Yesterday the temp was 109 and inside it was 83.
Thanks for the support

Scott

Dual Panes

I've got to tell you, the energy efficiency of dual pane windows in a fifth wheel is UNQUESTIONABLY the number one thing that people tend to overlook. It's funny to me how people can spend so much time arguing R-values of their walls when the fact is, in these bigger fifth wheels, there is so much square footage of GLASS in their units (i.e. the rear bay area, the windows in the slide-out, etc.).
All kinds of heat is coming through that glass - in fact, the glass amplifies the heat (like in a greenhouse). The dual pane windows are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more energy efficient.

That will help you a lot in the AZ/CA/NV area.

ST

Trap

Scott you couldn't have said it better. They do as much in hot weather as they do in cold. It's probably the best money value add on you can do to your 5'er. Way less heat loss and condensation in cold weather and stays way cooler in hot.

Trap

K

Ken Washington

Here is another way to look at this! Most of us bought our unit off the lot and did not special order. More in the future will make the same mistake some of us have made. If it is such a big deal to have dual pane windows and I beleave that it is, why does Heartland not put then on as standard windows. In most cases, it is needed and everyone will have less problems heating and cooling their fifth wheel. Raise the cost? You bet it will but I for one would have paid it up front knowing what I know now.
Ken

Racerguy

I was thinking the same thing. I will even go to the expense of replacing the existing windows with dual pane. Now I just have to find the windows, and HOPE that they get installed without any leaks.
I am currently using the 5th wheel to start up various contracts across the US. I like the unit.

Tom of Ypsi

Wish I had the dual pane wwindows. I ordered my Landmark without dual panes because I was told that they are not needed in a Landmark, it would just be an added expense and weight. Where would one go to get dual panes now and does anyone have any idea how much would the cost now?

Racerguy

Tom, I am researching the replacement and install now. I asked the question if I could take it back to the factory, but Scott did not answer that question. Must not have that ability or may not want to start. I will post what I find. The cost is of a concern for me too.

Scott

Dual Panes as Option

Dual Panes are not inexpensive. And the fact that a lot of people use their coaches only in the Midwest and not in the extremely hot Southern states, is why they are not standard. As manufacturers, we have to offer a lot of options to accomodate a lot of tastes and needs. When you factor in the rest of the country, dual panes are a "nice to have" - not a "need to have".

ST

Scott

Regarding having your windows replaced by "taking it back to the factory.." - we work with a service center (LSI) that is located less than a mile from the factory and they could schedule you in to have the windows replaced if you choose to do so. The cost is more than the option sheet would show - becasue the option price takes into account the difference between the two windows when being built - not the cost of the dual panes alone, which is what you would be looking at. You would also have a second set of windows which you may be able to salvage some where for money.
Note: the follow price is an ESTIMATE based on talking with LSI.
The costs are going to be approx. $1,800 for the windows and $900 for the labor (@$75/hour). Obvoiusly, that's a considerably amount of money.

Tom of Ypsi

For $2,700 I could put a partial down payment and trade in on a new Heartland product. Think I will just keep what I have for now unless the factory comes up with a cannot refuse deal on a new Landmark:D

Scott

I can't cut you a deal, but in today's economy, I know a lot of dealers who would love to get the expensive coaches off of their interest programs... Really, now is a great time to shop because a lot of the dealers are really motivated to sell their high-end coaches.

ST

Racerguy

Yea well I bought my unit on a GOOD deal from the Las Vegas dealer in JULY.. Oh by the way I should have know as it was 110 and all the units were locked up. So was it shipped from the factory to dealers throughout the US no mater what the config? To say " And the fact that a lot of people use their coaches only in the Midwest and not in the extremely hot Southern states" is a bunch of crap.. Why do you advertise nationally then? People who purchase your product are relying on the dealer network which you establish and you are the ones which have to stand behind your product and what it does or does not do...