Wondering how to fix the bottom of the slideouts

bighorn3370

I have a 2008 BH 3370. The bottom of the slideouts are showing plywood. I have found on the floor of the sofa slide inside of the trailer black flakes that now after the fact I believe come from the slide. I have some pictures attached. The first three are the bed slide, the next two are the dinette/entertainment slide, and the last three are the sofa slide. Please advise as what to use to reseal the bottom of these and how to keep it from happening again. Thank you!

-Ernie

Attachments

• BedSlide.jpg
    BedSlide.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 336
  • BedSlide2.jpg
    BedSlide2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 349
  • BedSlide3.jpg
    BedSlide3.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 334
  • EntertainmentSlide.jpg
    EntertainmentSlide.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 350
  • EntertainmentSlide2.jpg
    EntertainmentSlide2.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 328
  • SofaSlide.jpg
    SofaSlide.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 323
  • SofaSlide2.jpg
    SofaSlide2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 337
  • SofaSlideHorizontal.jpg
    SofaSlideHorizontal.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 310

Rickhansen

Hi Ernie,
I would share your concerns. You certainly need to fix the root problem and then repair the laminate.

The first question I would ask is, what the heck happened? You didn't mention that. This certainly not normal wear.

It appears that it's possibly a slide alignment issue, or possibly an issue with the interior edge strips/screws, etc. I am puzzled because some of the scratches are not straight, but curved.

Perhaps you could apply Formica laminate to the bottom of the slides?

With an '08, I'd potentially be looking to a dealer for (warranty?) repair.

jimtoo

Hi bighorn3370,

I would suggest you check with your dealer concerning repairs. There is a kit out to install on the bottom of the slides. The damage is usually made by broken rollers or screws on the slide. Check with your dealer and if no luck there, call the factory.

Jim M

bighorn3370

I took my pictures to the dealer, where they asked me then to bring it in so they could look at the slideouts. I took it there on Saturday. They are going to send the pictures to Heartland for review. The tech at the dealer said this is "excessive wear". I hope Heartland comes though.

tmcran

Jim is correct. HL does have a fix for this and it has worked well for me. Mine was under warranty and the dealer got the kit form HL and repaired. No more flakes.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
While at the Goshen Rally Heartland came out to my trailer and many others and put a kit on the bottom of all my slides except the bedroom slide. Each kit contains two long wide strips that are glued to the bottom edges of the slide. So far this has worked well for me.

I would contact heartland and have them send you a kit for each slide. You can place the strips on yourself by reading the instructions. The kit includes everything you need to make the installation except the calk gun which you can acquire at a hardware store or WalMart.

If you need pictures please let me know and I will post some...

BC

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
While at the Goshen Rally Heartland came out to my trailer and many others and put a kit on the bottom of all my slides except the bedroom slide. Each kit contains two long wide strips that are glued to the bottom edges of the slide. So far this has worked well for me.

I would contact heartland and have them send you a kit for each slide. You can place the strips on yourself by reading the instructions. The kit includes everything you need to make the installation except the calk gun which you can acquire at a hardware store or WalMart.

If you need pictures please let me know and I will post some...

BC
Please post pictures.

jbeletti

Parkland Plastics supplies the slide room floors. They have the repair kits. That said, the slide is either dragging or there is debris in the track causing the scrapes. This needs to be fully addressed before using the repair kit. I don't know what the kit costs.

Jim

Parkland Plastics, Inc.
work 574-825-4336
fax 574-825-4438
www.parklandplastics.com
Parkland Plastics, Inc.
104 Yoder Drive
Middlebury IN 46540

geeksrus

Parkland Plastics supplies the slide room floors. They have the repair kits. That said, the slide is either dragging or there is debris in the track causing the scrapes. This needs to be fully addressed before using the repair kit. I don't know what the kit costs.

Jim

Parkland Plastics, Inc.
work 574-825-4336
fax 574-825-4438
www.parklandplastics.com
Parkland Plastics, Inc.
104 Yoder Drive
Middlebury IN 46540

I have a similar problem with the black material chipped off on one side of our main slide. Also just recently, this slide will not close without some manual effort to raise & push one corner. A RV service company will be here today to look at this.

Jim: I'm out of warranty... should I be contacting Heartland or Parkland??? Any idea what the kit cost?

Thanks Eh!

MD Buck

I have same problem with my 09 3670. Took it back to dealer and they said was normal for this to happen. Now I am wondering. Can I get the kit and install it myself since dealer seems to be no help with the issue?

rick_debbie_gallant

Jim

Jim:

Is there a design flaw in the slides?:eek: I am one who believes that an ounce (dollar) of prevention is worth a pound (hundreds of dollars) of cure. Does Heartland buy into this idea? If so how and where do I get the "kit" and get it put on before things go bad on my 3670?:confused:

jbeletti

Jim:

Is there a design flaw in the slides?:eek: I am one who believes that an ounce (dollar) of prevention is worth a pound (hundreds of dollars) of cure. Does Heartland buy into this idea? If so how and where do I get the "kit" and get it put on before things go bad on my 3670?:confused:

Rick,

From use and road bounce - it is not unusual for slides to require periodic adjustment. I have mine adjusted once or twice a year if it appears that they are dragging on the floor.

Also - if anything (a screw, a corn cob holder :) etc) gets into the transition under the carpet flap, this can cause a tear on the bottom of the slide out when it is brought in.

I would not characterize any of this as a design flaw. Flush floor slide rooms are very nice and a touch complex. At the first sign of dragging (on the floor) or not sealing fully upon closure, have it checked out.

Jim

jbeletti

...Jim: I'm out of warranty... should I be contacting Heartland or Parkland??? Any idea what the kit cost?

Thanks Eh!

Graham,

I'd say contact Parkland directly. I do not know the cost. That said, I have yet to get any feedback from anyone who has contacted Parkland on this (will they sell to retail, what is the cost etc.). So I am curious to hear after someone makes the call.

Good luck today on your service call.

Jim

jbeletti

I have same problem with my 09 3670. Took it back to dealer and they said was normal for this to happen. Now I am wondering. Can I get the kit and install it myself since dealer seems to be no help with the issue?

Make the call today to Parkland. Let us all know how it went.

Jim

rick_debbie_gallant

Rick,

From use and road bounce - it is not unusual for slides to require periodic adjustment. I have mine adjusted once or twice a year if it appears that they are dragging on the floor.

Also - if anything (a screw, a corn cob holder :) etc) gets into the transition under the carpet flap, this can cause a tear on the bottom of the slide out when it is brought in.

I would not characterize any of this as a design flaw. Flush floor slide rooms are very nice and a touch complex. At the first sign of dragging (on the floor) or not sealing fully upon closure, have it checked out.

Jim

Jim:

I will be sure to keep an "eye" (potato) on the bottom of the slide as well as keep an "ear" (corn) peeled (shucked) for any strange sounds when either moving the slides in or out. If I detect any I will be on it. I don't use cob holders so we can rule that one out.:D

bighorn3370

I'm handy, so I'm sure that I could put the kit on myself, but on my old s.o.b. I never had to have them periodically adjusted. I'm not saying it doesn't need it though. Also, after the kit is installed, I think you would need to adjust them for the extra material. I have only pulled my BH in the rain two times and never had a leak, and it has never leaked while in use or stogage. I would recommend that everyone check this out because a little spent on the kit could save a ton later on repairs.

aatauses

hi,
Hey TxBobcat---I would really appreciate your pictures of the installation. I had an issue on the 3670 and called HL and they sent me the kit, but with no instructions on installation. Does the strip actually go in under the roll or just up to it? Also if you have actual instrructions can you email them to me? atauses@aol.com
Thanks
aatauses