Future Upgrade

SilverRhino

As my wife gets closer to retirement we are starting to plan for a lot more time being spent in our BC. We are not really interested in joining the ranks of the "Full Timers", just a lot of long trips to the places we want to see.

With this in mine, by the time that comes to happen, I will probably be looking for a new TV. I am just starting to do my research on MDT and HDT tow vehicles. I am leaning toward the HDT, singled up, custom bed with sleeper modified to be more like a rear seat. As questions come to mind....I am trying to cover the issues and keep a record in a journal I have started.

Sorry about being so wordy; questions for those towing with a MDT or HDT tow rig are:

1) Have you ever been turned away from a RV park because of your TV??
2) How frequent is it that your rig won't fit safely in RV park??
3) How much does your TV deter you from or effect your sight seeing??

Any assistance will be appreciated as I start my research on a major long term project.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Had a buddy who had SOB 5ers and his TV was an F650 Supercruzer. It was a beautiful truck but every time he took the truck somewhere and had to pay to park they charged him for two parking places. In my mind a better option would be a Ford (I am partial to them) F550 or F450. Bear in mind many insurance companies consider MDT commercial vehicles. An F450 (the new ones) have a 28000 pound tow rating and are no bigger than a regular pickup. Best of both worlds in my mind.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Ok don't mean to be stupid but what does MDT and HDT mean?
Ideas:
MDT- Medtronic, Master in Dental Therapy, Mountain Daylight Time, Montana Department of Transportation, My Drunk Texts, Miami Dade Time, Money Distance Time, Marine Diesel Traders, Medical Design Technology.

HDT: High Dose Therapy, Heat Deflection Temperature, High Density Tape, Hardware Detection Tool, Heavy Duty Truck, is that it?, or Hot dogger tours?

Sorry guys, just guessing away. Love to know what those terms mean.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Here's a MDT (Medium Duty Truck)...an HDT (Heavy Duty Truck) is basically a converted Semi....

Attachments

• 100_1181.jpg
    100_1181.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 28

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Thanks guys for the explanation. If I ever upgrade, you guys will be the first ones I go to for advice. Thought I would throw a little levity into the fray. Still upset my old man never taught me or wanted me to understand this technical, mechanical, or electrical educational stuff. It's more fun than I anticipated just a little slow on the uptake. All I ever heard was go to college, pay folks to make repairs. Better late than never.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Here's a MDT (Medium Duty Truck)...an HDT (Heavy Duty Truck) is basically a converted Semi....

Just couldn't pass up the chance to show that truck off, could ya guys?;) jk. lol Great truck. Have seen it up close and love the Monroe conversion. Looks like the Kodiak/Top Kick is what I will be going with. Wanted an International RXT, but they quit making them about a year ago. Maybe I can find a good used one. I heard that International bought the GM MDT division, maybe GM will come out with an MDT based on the Silverado/Sierra frame like Ford did with the F-Series. Would love to have a Sierra 4500.
Fred

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Thanks Guys...we kinda like the "Beast"...

Mark...ever since Dale Fenton cut the Timbrens in half and got them off the frame rails, and removed the 1 1/2" sway bar, she rides really good. Don't even mind driving it without the 5er now!

Fred...if you go with the Kodiak w/Monroe upfit. Check the suspension carefully. Monroe neglected to remedy the situation mentioned above, and the Link Airbag system was pretty much non-functional. After the above was done...NOW we have air bags. The truck was actually beating the daylights out of the 5er!!! Otherwise, LOVE this truck!!!:D