Main breaker

mo11

Hello all,

Took the 28RLS TT out this weekend, was using the halftime oven while the AC was on and kept tripping the main breaker? We were hooked to 30 amp and also tried 50 amp, no difference in outcome? Now we have done this before at another campground with no problem. However this time we were using the electric water heater feature and a TV was on. Could these small things have made a difference? Seems the TT should be able to handle anything on board?

Thanks Mo

branson4020

Icantre Member
When you say "main breaker" are you talking about the breaker in the coach or the breaker at the shore power pedestal? Also, is your rig 30 or 50 A service?

branson4020

Icantre Member
In that case, everything seems normal. I would expect that using the halftime oven, electric hot water and AC all at once could easily draw more than 30 Amps, especially when the AC compressor cycles on.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I agree, it's the addition of the electric water heater. We use to have a 30AMP TT that had a toggle switch...you put it on elec. water heater OR microwave...you could not run both at the same time...:)

rick_h

Agrreed to previous posts on the circuit being overloaded. A 30 amp breaker will trip out if run over 80 percent for an extended time. the closer to 30 amps the faster the trip.

rncap

I agree with all of the above, however are you aware that a 50 amp service is only useful for a second AC unit all other uses are limited to the 30 amps coming into the unit AMc

mo11

Thanks for all the good and fast replies. Sounds like I need to use the gas water heater option next time. Rncap, yes I just thought I would try the 50 Amp connection just as an experiment, figured at that point what could it hurt.

Thanks again, Mo

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
The easiest way is the just switch off the electric water heater for a couple of minutes while you use the microwave/convection oven...the water will stay warm for quite awhile, and then just turn it back on when you're done...:)