Cleaning Black Tank

Dave

Traveling Two
I have an opportunity to temporarily store my 5er on a campground site for 17 days. I don't have a blank tank problem but I thought I would fill the blank tank up, leave it filled during my trip and soak out any lingering debris. Any thoughts or negative issues with this?
Also, I think the best way to clean a tank would be have lot's of bubbles just eating away at remaining stuff. Anyone drop a few Alka-Seltzer tablets or something similiar into their tanks? Just a thought while I sit in my Sundance during the rainy weather. Thanks for your thought...be safe!

Bobby A

I used to fill up the tank and put bleach in the tank, but I don't think leaving it for 17 days is good. Never heard of the alka seltzer thing, sounds interesting though. I think just to be on the safe side just fill the tank with fresh water and put normal toilet chemicals in it. I'm sure you will have many people chime in hear shortly . Interesting topic, I'll keep my eye on this thread to see what others do/think.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I can't imagine Alka Seltzer doing anything for the balck tank. I think you have a good idea but restrict your chemicals, if any, to those designed for breaking up the solids, lubricating the valve and cleaning the sensors. When we set up for a longer than usual stay and I have the time, I leave the flusher running for an hour or so. Water moving is the best thing. In my opinion.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I put some dawn in the tank and several gallons of water. I have used RidX (which is also used in septic tanks). RidX helps break up solids. The main thing is to not let is set there drying out.

Dave

Traveling Two
I can't imagine Alka Seltzer doing anything for the balck tank. I think you have a good idea but restrict your chemicals, if any, to those designed for breaking up the solids, lubricating the valve and cleaning the sensors. When we set up for a longer than usual stay and I have the time, I leave the flusher running for an hour or so. Water moving is the best thing. In my opinion.

Howdy Ray...just a thought about the Alka-Seltzer, it's been raining a whole lot here and it might be water logging my senses! Remember the Alka-Seltzer song, Plop-plop, fizz-fizz, O what a relief it is..I was just thinking the fizz-fizz might be a relief to my black tank..be safe!!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Howdy Ray...just a thought about the Alka-Seltzer, it's been raining a whole lot here and it might be water logging my senses! Remember the Alka-Seltzer song, Plop-plop, fizz-fizz, O what a relief it is..I was just thinking the fizz-fizz might be a relief to my black tank..be safe!!
I can see it all now:eek:. Black tank full, roof top vents with fizzing foam coming out.:D
I do remember the jingle. There's even a funny story about it from years ago but it's a very long and silly story from my "partying" years...:eek:

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Hmmm.....wonder if it would keep the black tank from burping when it gets full.:D Kenny

Good thread. I beetre get out there and put some water in ym black tank:eek: I left it empty after the last trip.....

So just checking here.,.,. Put in about 5 gallons of water along with the regular chemiclas and it all should be good to go? :D Thx

Rickhansen

I have been using "5-Star Happy Camper" (www.5starhappycamper.com) products for about a year, particularly in hot weather (most of the year in FL). I agree with others that using plenty of liquids, keeping the tank drained, and flushed is probably the best and preferred methods. I am in no way affiliated with the product manufacturer or distributors.

It seems to be more eco-friendly, as it is not caustic, dyed, or perfumed. It reminds me of the OXY-Clean products available today, but I'm not a chemist and don't particularly understand how it works nor care.

My experience is that it seems to work well and is economical. You might look into it for this application, but I think it would work for you.

Actually, this is an interesting idea because besides the bi-carbonate and asprin the third ingredient in Alka-Selzer is Citrix acid which is suppose to be a safe cleaner for most plastics. However, I was always told never to put anything in the tank besides the septic safe TP and an approved chemical. We had an issue with our 5th wheel and we went to the dealer and purchased a chemical called Tissue Digester. it worked great!. Otherwise, constant flushing with either a wand or built-in flusher should keep it working great!

rick_debbie_gallant

The BEST thing to do is "if it ain't digested (traveled through) by the human body first it don't go in the "black storage box"!!!!!!! In other words zero tolerance for tissue. Tissue has its own air tight storage container..... Double bagged.:eek:

larneal

Has anyone heard of this - periodicly adding Cal-Gon water softner to the black tank. It's supposed to coat the sides of the tank and keep the solids from sticking. Our camping group has been talking about trying it but haven't yet. Has anybody ever tryed this?

Larry Neal

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Larry, the use of Calgon is called the GEO method and we use it frequently. Every time we leave campground with our trailer we add a couple of gallons of water with some Calgon water softener and it seems to work well.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have done that also but I have not noticed any difference except a thinner wallet.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We have done that also but I have not noticed any difference except a thinner wallet.

I've been sort of alternating between the Calgon and Aqua-Chem, even though our rig has been stationary for the summer. Semi-scientific observation of the trout stream indicates that the Aqua-Chem does a better job of digesting the goods than plain Calgon, but the sensors still don't know their keisters from a hole in the ground. The Calgon, per the wife, seems to have a better smell inside the trailer than the chemical. I've only been adding a cup of the Calgon, not two, to the tank after mixing it with a couple gallons of water. So cost wise, it's a bit cheaper than chemicals.

Biggest problem with using the Calgon is finding it in the stores. WallyMart does not carry it, the local grocery store up here doesn't have it. I've only found it at Meijer's, the nearest to here is 30 miles away. So I either bring it from home or I'm S.o.L. when I run out. Aqua-Chem and/or other chemical treatments are available almost everywhere .

rick_debbie_gallant

I've been sort of alternating between the Calgon and Aqua-Chem, even though our rig has been stationary for the summer. Semi-scientific observation of the trout stream indicates that the Aqua-Chem does a better job of digesting the goods than plain Calgon, but the sensors still don't know their keisters from a hole in the ground. The Calgon, per the wife, seems to have a better smell inside the trailer than the chemical. I've only been adding a cup of the Calgon, not two, to the tank after mixing it with a couple gallons of water. So cost wise, it's a bit cheaper than chemicals.

Biggest problem with using the Calgon is finding it in the stores. WallyMart does not carry it, the local grocery store up here doesn't have it. I've only found it at Meijer's, the nearest to here is 30 miles away. So I either bring it from home or I'm S.o.L. when I run out. Aqua-Chem and/or other chemical treatments are available almost everywhere .

John, et all:

I am pretty sure I got my calgon at walmart. I will have to check the package for where I got it. Walmart is about the only place I go for shopping. although when I am in other stores I check to see if I can find it (calgon) there. By the way there are several wash detergents that are 75 to 85% sodium carbonate, which, I believe is what calgon is, only at around 100%. But then I could be wrong. Check it out in google or your favorite search engine.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John, et all:

I am pretty sure I got my calgon at walmart. I will have to check the package for where I got it. Walmart is about the only place I go for shopping. although when I am in other stores I check to see if I can find it (calgon) there. By the way there are several wash detergents that are 75 to 85% sodium carbonate, which, I believe is what calgon is, only at around 100%. But then I could be wrong. Check it out in google or your favorite search engine.

Well now partner, I tend not to shop at WallyMart unless I'm up here. Even then, I have to drive to Cheboygan. I've found at home, at least, that WallyWorld is not always the least expensive, nor the one with the most selections. Their produce section basically sucks. For most grocery shopping at home, I prefer Meijers. In Indian River, Ken's Market has almost everything we need, at reasonable prices. The main reason for going to Wally's is for non-edible stuff, like Diesel Kleen.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well I guess I have to be the odd man out.. I have read a lot of discussions on forums about how to take care of the black tank. I know and have discussed with a number of fulltime RVer's and from what they have noted using chemicals including the GEO system does very little to keep the tank clean. The main thing to do is use plenty of water, chemicals are usually not good for the septic systems of campgrounds, and chemicals only mask any odor. The natural chemical breakdown of solids will work.

I do not use any chemicals. I empty the black tank everytime I move or when it burps (about full or 3/4 full). If in real hot areas you might get some odor but I have not had that problem. I do get some odor if I do not empty the black tank when I move to a different campground.

If you are an Escapee you might view this thread.
Escapee Thread on Black Tank Maintenance .

A very reputable fulltimer by the name of Kirk has a web site that tells his experiences: Kirk Website on Waste Tank Maintenance . His website has a lot of other great information. Kirk's Website Check out the menus at the top of the site page.

The OP was asking what to do while storing his rig. If your going to store your trailer for 17days I would flush the tank out until the water is clear and then leave about 5 gallons in it to keep it from become dry.

Each person has there own way. Use what will work for you.

This is my way.
BC