Low Point Drains

bwalser

My question for the factory:

I have a 2009 Bighorn 3670RL and cannot locate the low point drains in the plumbing system. I have been told that the low point drains were discontinued on this model. Is that true; and if so, how do I drain the system?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I also have a 2009 BH3670RL. The low point drains are the two tubes sticking out of the underbelly in front of the tires on the door side. Should be a sticker on the wall saying so. The drain for the fresh water tank is similar, and located on the other side of the trailer, just behind the sewer connection. With no low point drains, you will not be able to get the lines clear to winterize. If the tubes are not visible, it is possible that they are stuffed under the belly skin and the holes were not cut to pull them out. Manufacturing goof, if that's the case.

jbeletti

bwalser,

With no low drain points, we suggest the following to remove the water from the lines:

1. Disconnect water from the RV and turn water heater off (AC power and Propane power switches)
  2. Relieve hot water pressure by either opening up a hot water tap or the pressure relief valve on the water heater
  3. Remove the anode rod to drain the water heater
  4. Turn the water heater bypass valve from the Normal position to the Bypass position
  5. Run the water pump and open one water tap at a time, hot and cold to pump the system dry, then turn the pump off
  6. Open the fresh water tank drain valve (protruding below the underbelly) to drain any remaining tank water the pump could not pump out
The above procedure is not a full winterization. Rather, it's a quick and effective method for removing the water from your lines as you requested.

Below is an excerpt from the FAQ on the factory website on winterization. It's a bit more comprehensive and when you are ready to do a full winterization, this may help you out.

That said, everyone has a slightly different twist or process.

Water Lines – To prepare for winter storage, do I need to winterize them and if so, how should I do it?

If you are planning to “store” your RV where the RV will be exposed to temperatures of 32 degrees or lower for a period greater than a few hours, you will need to winterize your RV.

While the PEX water lines used in most modern RVs can withstand freezing temperatures with water in them, the connectors, faucets, showers, pumps, solenoids and other items connected to the water system will generally not tolerate freezing with water in them.

Methods: Three methods are generally used to winterize an RV’s water system.

1. Compressed Air:
Using a blow-out adapter plug at your city water connection on the RV, connecting compressed air at low pressure (15-20 PSI), then opening each water faucet one at a time and allowing all the water to be blown out – is one method. There are many more steps to this method.

2. RV Antifreeze:
Using your RV’s water-pump to suck RV Antifreeze and into your water system, then opening each water faucet one at a time allowing the water to be pushed out until antifreeze comes out – is another method. There are many more steps to this method.

3. Hybrid – Compressed Air / RV Antifreeze
A hybridized method using a combination of the Compressed Air process and the RV Antifreeze process is the ultimate method.

In climates where winter is mild with only a couple freeze events per season, the Compressed Air method is often used. In climates where winter is any harsher, the RV Antifreeze method is vital. To be doubly sure – the hybrid method may be used.

Jarhead

USMC Phantom Phixer
Jim,
I went to the FAQ's page (water lines.....) on the company website and clicked on the 3 types of Detailed Processes at the right bottom of the blue section and there are no links to these detailed winterizing processes.

jimtoo

Hi Jarhead,

Hopefully they will get them added soon to the company site. But you can do a search and get all kinds of information about the process from other Heartland family members.

Jim M