ElkRidge Towing Experience

VenningG

I just ordered a 2010 35DSRL. I've been towing a 29' TT (8000lm GVMR) with my 2008 F250 Club Cab SRW, 6.4L DSL. The specs for my truck indicate I'm well within range of the 35DSRL. For anyone else with experience pulling a 5'ver with a similar truck, will I be disappointed? Will I need to upgrade to a Dually?

Bogger

I am pulling the same unit with a 3/4 Crew Cab diesel and have had NO issues at all. The only thing I have over you is mine is a Chevy. :D

Honestly, it does seem to be a great match. I have Firestone airbags I added to level out and help stability. Power, braking, speed, stability, etc are really good. Made a 2500 mile trip to Glacier National park a few weeks ago and I have no complaints (other than almost losing the rear bumper on the ER- that's another story).

You will not be disappointed at all.

Paul_in_MN

I think the question you are dealing with is "will the Single Rear Wheel truck have suficient stability". I just pulled (for the 1st time) our new 2010 34RLSA with our SRW 2002 crew cab powerstroke on a 500 mile trip. The truck was rock solid on the road. The trailer weight and size is bigger than what I am accustomed to pulling, so I was having the same concerns as you have. There was absolutely no sway, but I had checked all tire pressures prior to departure to make sure they were full up. The 265 tires on the back of the truck and the 230 tires on the trailer were aired up to 80 psi.
I do not have air bags added, but might in the future. Your 08 truck has better suspension than mine, same rear axle and more Hp. You should be sitting "sweet".

Paul in MN

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
What happens if you have a blowout on the rear of the TV while towing with a SRW truck versus a DRW truck? A major consideration.

Cimriver

The possibility of having a blowout is hardly justification for buying DRW truck. I have been pulling a fifth wheel for the past 5 years with a SRW truck. Haven't had a blowout, but if one maintains ones tires correctly and replaces them when they a due. Pleanty of folks out there pulling fivers with SRW trucks.

caissiel

My F250 pulls our 3500RL flowlessly. Actually its much easier then the previous 33ft 11K unit we had before. The rear springs hold it good and the helpers are not even loaded.

I have been hjauling 5th wheels with SRW for the past 18 years. I experienced 2 flats and with no deficulty at all. The first one I tought I had a rear end problem, and it was after I got out and went to look that I noticed the Flat.
I am more concerned about a front end tire failure then the rear end. And with the SRW there is much better capacity tires on the front then DRW setup trucks.

The SRW are a must if you need to drive in the snow up here in the north.

I would not tow a 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton unless there was E class tires on the back or all 4 wheels. I have seen many box sides ruined when the rear tire blows on a 1/2 ton pulling a heavy trailer. And in addition seen some broken axles falling out of the rearends.

I do recommend a Floating axle on the rear of the 3/4 ton trucks, and I added a ply to protect the main ply that is prone to brake on these older F250.

I never used Air Bags on the rear of my 3/4 tons because I have seen it so often loaded to level the truck out and in that setting it will loosen the plies and cause the rear end to twist.