Rain, Headlights, and OBLIVIOTS

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Here in Virginia it's the law to turn your headlights on when using your windshield wipers. Yet, as anecdotaly evidenced on my commute up I-95 and around the DC Beltway this morning in a moderate rain, there are always a handful of "OBLIVIOTS" (Idiots oblivious to common sense and the law) who don't seem to:
  • know the law exists (it's prominetly posted)
  • don't care
  • have no common sense
  • are just idiots
And, 99% of the time the OBLIVIOTS are driving a dark gray car that blends right into the asphalt and rain:eek:. Where do these people come from?????

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
California? It doesn't rain there much, these days, does it? Just another guess...I'm not referring to anyone in particular! :D

Garry & Bev

travel bug
That's why up here in Canada the headlights on vehicles automatically turn on and run all the time. Some people couldn't think for themselves and the big brother felt they needed to look after us. The rule has worked great. Except for those vehicles with those LED lights(?) they are so bright at night even on dim they blind you. Then we have another problem...

boatto5er

That's why up here in Canada the headlights on vehicles automatically turn on and run all the time. Some people couldn't think for themselves and the big brother felt they needed to look after us. The rule has worked great. Except for those vehicles with those LED lights(?) they are so bright at night even on dim they blind you. Then we have another problem...

Those are OK for the front. Unfortunately, they don't do anything for the rear of the vehicle. But, a lot of people think because they have daytime running lights they are OK. Doesn't help me see them from behind in a heavy rain and roadspray situation.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Gus, I agree with you 100%. Just because the DRL's are on, doesn't mean they can be seen from the rear. I guess some folks just don't get it. Same thing applies to those that don't turn on their headlights till just before it gets dark! Yeah, they still might be able to see but what about the poor soul that can't see them? I guess that's why it's called defensive driving. I find that riding a motorcycle for a lot of years has given me a good lesson in that.

lelandpa

And speaking of obliviots, I especially enjoy the ones that pull out in front of you while towing. These rigs can just stop on a dime!

Jimmyt5

I saw a cop running with no lights and it was raining. I called the station and was told since the rain is not hard the law is written that if you are on intermittent you don't need to do it....

boatto5er

I saw a cop running with no lights and it was raining. I called the station and was told since the rain is not hard the law is written that if you are on intermittent you don't need to do it....

Yep - unfortunately that's where the common sense part often is ignored...A couple of the OBLIVIOTS I saw this morning were law enforcement personnel (you can tell here because they are the only person in a mid to large sized sedan with an antenna driving in the HOV lanes). Evidently they've never seen how the car in front of them looks when throwing up a small rooster tail:eek:.

wdk450

California

California? It doesn't rain there much, these days, does it? Just another guess...I'm not referring to anyone in particular! :D

California passed the same law 2-3 years ago. I find it amusing to see the COPS driving there with windshield wipers on and no headlights on.

BTW, one California law that most out-of-staters don't know is it is illegal to drive with just your parking lights on - has been since I started driving in 1966.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
On our new 2010 Ford truck you can put the headlights in the auto position and forget about it. The auto postion the headlight come on automatically when the lighting get dim or when the windshield wipers are turned on. They go off when the lighting is bright enough (daytime) and when the wipers are turned off. Smart lights for dumb (or forgetful) people. "Ford has a better idea"

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Hey Gus, those folks migrated to the DC area from Millville, NJ with it's perfectly manicured streets with hanging plants on every corner.:D

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I got a train air horn for the ones that pull out in front of me. That wakes them up!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Yep - unfortunately that's where the common sense part often is ignored...A couple of the OBLIVIOTS I saw this morning were law enforcement personnel (you can tell here because they are the only person in a mid to large sized sedan with an antenna driving in the HOV lanes). Evidently they've never seen how the car in front of them looks when throwing up a small rooster tail:eek:.

Your mistake is assuming that common sense has anything to do with the government-local or otherwise.:rolleyes:

Rmcgrath53

When we travel ,we run into the most obliviots in Tenn. Sorry but it is my observation by experience. They dont know how to merge onto the freeway !!!They are obliviot to a large truck with a large camper in the right slow lane. I try and stay in the middle lane when travelling through Tenn.

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
OK HT, I read it. BTW, what did I ever do to you. Yes they do come from California. Problem is not enough have left here yet. My cars all have auto headlamps and come on in the rain. So that makes the tail lamps come on also. Deaf and Blind.....:confused: Bob