Extended Warranty Cost

Looking for information on reasonable prices for extended warranties (i.e., we have been offered 7 year warranty on Big Horn 3600 RL for $2300).

Charles None

sgtbigb

Warranty

Shop the internet, sometimes you can find the same offer with the same insurance company for 1/2 price:confused:

sidney dreyfus

extended warranty

Squaredancers,
We bought the Choice plan from our dealer at the same time we picked up our 3670RL for around $1,500. Granted this was 2 years ago and prices may have gone up.

geeksrus

Looking for information on reasonable prices for extended warranties (i.e., we have been offered 7 year warranty on Big Horn 3600 RL for $2300).

Charles None

In the 2 years that we've had our unit, we're very close to being out of pocket for repairs/replacement $$$$ as you mentioned.

Not sure that all of these costs would be covered by that type of service program but it might be worthwhile based on our history.

Eh!

grizzlygiant

Dealers often have BIG markups on extended warranty insurance. $1500 is closer to the prevailing price for a GOOD policy. All policies are NOT equal by a long shot.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Policies sold by the same insurer may have different levels of coverage. Unless you buy the "best" one, you may be left hanging on some components, if they go belly up. Read them carefully and don't just grab the cheapest one.

Good Sam

Had you looked at Good Sam? Seem more reasonable then the others. My issue why purchase in the first year of warranty with factory coverage. Waiting to end of factory warranty my be prudent.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I do not have Good Sam Extended Warranty Coverage. I got screwed along with many others by purchasing an extended warranty when we bought our RV. Makes me mad to talk about it.

sunflower

We are new owners of a 30RLSS and did not do the extended service contract, because non of them offer any structural component. Been over this many times in the past and we always do the appliance extended contracts instead.

Hart

We are new owners of a 30RLSS and did not do the extended service contract, because non of them offer any structural component. Been over this many times in the past and we always do the appliance extended contracts instead.

We have done this also. Just reviewed the Good Sam Continued Service Program which looks pretty reasonable. Can even be transferred to another RV if sold within 3 yr. coverage timetable.

lwmcguir

Same here, I wanted coverage to cover real problems, not the little things that were already covered or I could stand to pay for.

Aluminum frame and steel chasis coverage would be what I would like to see. The up front cost of the insurance is all you are going to recover any way.

SMDAT

We found that our dealer was open to negotiating the extended warranty cost during the purchase phase of our 5vr. We got 7 year full coverage for $1,400 on a 2010 Elkridge. The Dealer was asking $2100, but after shopping around went back to them and offered the $1400 (what we found to be an average cost). They agreed without hesitation. ;)

Jim & Harriet

decisions

Hard to know what to do.
Just now trying to decide if we want to purchase a policy on our one year old Sundance. We could put aside the $$$ we would spend on the premiums and collect a little bit of interest and have it in the bank if we need it for repairs.

Not even sure what is the most likely thing to break down / stop working? The appliances are covered for a longer period than the "one year" Heartland policy. So far we have had good luck with our 300sk, hope it continues.

When did we all stop believing that things were "built to last?" I don't remember years ago that there was such a thing as an "extended" warranty.
Of course a stone wheel did not have many breakable parts ...:angel:

Looking at the fine print I have been unable to find a warranty that is worth buying. None of them seem to cover the stuff that you actually have issues with. If you know of one that does let me know

jbeletti

Maybe someone here that is really looking at these warranties can put together a spreadsheet of warranty brands with inclusions, exclusions and costs to post back here for others to consider - if they are in the market as well.

As I was reading the Extended Warranty that came with my Sundance, I noticed the list of things that would cause it to be invalid.
First: living in the RV full time
Second: using a hitch adapter
Always check that out.

lwmcguir

Re: Good Sam

With an extended warranty that don't really cover major issues you are just paying in advance for repairs. There is nothing wrong with that if that is what fits your situation. Some folks finance the extended warranty as well and pay finance cost on top of the warranty cost. That is really the goal of most of them which makes the Good Sam look better quickly. However take a look at what is really covered. Almost all of them cover basic repairs. If anyone has one that covers the high end cost on a coach such as the frame or fiberglass without serious restrictions then I would like to see the fine print.

Again there is nothing wrong with prepaying repairs, it is just how you want to control your money.

funntheson

Our finance guy said he was offering us the warranty at $50 over cost, but he sure seemed disappointed when we said no.