entry door window trim

cdnrver

In preparation for our trip to Texas this winter, I went yesterday to put some items in our unit which is currently in storage.

As I approached our unit I noticed that the trim around the entry door window in our 2009 Sundance 2900mk has turned an ugly yellow. Everything else looks as good as new (we only used it once on a trial run for 5 days last year).

Is there somewhere that I can order a new trim part (since our unit is now out of warranty) that is better than this one and will not yellow in the future?

And, is it possible to replace the trim on my own?

Thanks

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
If you order a new one will it will do the same , same thing with your stove vent. If you take the time to spray paint them with Krylon Fusion Paint for plastic , you won't have to worry about the suns UV discoloring them......Kenny

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We also painted ours a few weeks ago. What a difference it made in the appearance of the trailer. Naturally, I couldn't stop there and sprayed that yellowing vent over the stove too. Lookin' good!

cdnrver

thanks for the help but I could use a bit more info.

can I paint the trim while on the door (after taping it off) or do I take the trim off the door to paint it (if that's possible)

does it come in a spray can and do have to sand the plastic trim first? does it need some kind of primer?

I'll have to try and see if it's sold in canada somewhere.

thanks again

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
No you dont have to remove the trim. Krylon can be purchased at Lowes and Home depot. Comes in a rattle can, just make sure that you get the "fusion" for plastic. Bob:D

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We also painted ours a few weeks ago. What a difference it made in the appearance of the trailer. Naturally, I couldn't stop there and sprayed that yellowing vent over the stove too. Lookin' good!
That's the one (stove vent) I need to get after! I really haven't noticed the door trim but then again, our door is open a lot.:D

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
There are also 2 things that will take most of it off. Carb&choke cleaner and a rag or Mr clean erasers. Works great on the yellow side moldings my TV too.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
You can also replace it with a black window trim. I saw one of these at Holman RV in Cincinnatti Ohio so I suspect they can be purchased anywhere so long as you get the proper size. I wish Heartland would just have them put on in black from the start. It would match the rest od the windows then.

Purple Power from Auto Zone works great and it is only about $6.00 a gallon. Make sure you hose the area with water first then spray on the cleaner, scrub with a brush if needed, most likely you won’t need it, then rinse it off immediately. Be careful not to leave it on the decals.
Jack

TXBobcat

Fulltime
My door window trim was also turning yellow. As suggested above I went and purchased a can of Krylon fusion paint and painted the trim. I used the blue painters tape which came off easily and did not leave any residue. I need to do a little bit of clean up around the edges of the window but it looks pretty good.

I will do the other parts as they get yellow.

BC

Attachments

• DSC_1526M.jpg
    DSC_1526M.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0692M.jpg
    IMG_0692M.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 27