More on Front Jacks

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I heard a clicking noise:confused: when raising my landing gear a few minutes ago. Took a look and the nut had come off the screw that holds the shaft that turns the gears that raise the front jacks (whew, thats a mouthfull:rolleyes:). The screw had backed out about half way and was hitting the motor case. I got the trailer hooked to the truck and took the tension off the front jacks and was able to get the screw out of the hole. It wasn't damaged (thank goodness). Found the nut in the bottom of the front compartment and reassembled everything. Worked like a champ. Morale = check these things often!

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Gus
This issue is very common. Use two nuts (thin nuts) and a lot of locktite (Dave please no comments). This is the best solution I have found. It is a little nutty.

geeksrus

I heard a clicking noise:confused: when raising my landing gear a few minutes ago. Took a look and the nut had come off the screw that holds the shaft that turns the gears that raise the front jacks (whew, thats a mouthfull:rolleyes:). The screw had backed out about half way and was hitting the motor case. I got the trailer hooked to the truck and took the tension off the front jacks and was able to get the screw out of the hole. It wasn't damaged (thank goodness). Found the nut in the bottom of the front compartment and reassembled everything. Worked like a champ. Morale = check these things often!

I believe that this is a well-known problem... we first heard of it on our BigHorn in December 2007... funny that it hasn't correct on newer units.

I suggest that you use 'Lock Nut' or a similar product to secure the nut better & periodically check that the nut remains attached.

Eh!

porthole

Retired
If you are using a "ny-lock" nut don't use a driver to run them on, unless you do it at the slowest speed.

fhollan

Same Thing Here!

Earlier this afternoon we arrived at the KOA in Bluffton, IN ready to unhook. I noticed that the left landing gear came down, but the right one did not. Found the same thing, that the nut had come off the screw that holds the shaft. Found both of them, lined both landing gear up, and got it going again. It seems that the screws could be a little longer. So check them out from time to time. Another lesson learned!

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
So your traded in your BH on a Sundance? So your nylon aircraft nut came loose and the bolt fell out rendering one leg useless?

markandrenita

This just happened to me and the front legs don't work. I have a generator prep and so my question is are the nuts located above the generator prep on the front left(door side) or do I access them by taking off the bottom cover of the fifth wheel?