PDA

View Full Version : What is the Trail air Level Up Hydraulic Leveling System with Remote?

orkirk
09-11-2009, 10:53 PM
What is the Trail air Level Up Hydraulic Leveling System with Remote?

We are going to order a 3600 RE for full timing and looking for all the help we can get. Is this a option ? I don't remember seeing that on the list. If you could give me some info and prices on this Leveling system I would really appreciate it. Thanks for your time. orkirk

Ray LeTourneau
09-11-2009, 11:04 PM
It is a hydraulic leveling system available from Lippert/Trail Air. Weather or not it can be had as an option through Heartland, I don't know. I know at the rally they were offering them to rally goers for around $2400 installed. Heartland should respond by Monday.

jbeletti
09-11-2009, 11:09 PM
orkirk,

At this time, Heartland is not offering this system as an option. It's a nice system however and as a full timer, it's a great addition to your house.

For Level-Up Information/quotes:
Kara Hunt
karahunt@trailair.com
800-998-4238

Jim

orkirk
09-12-2009, 12:04 AM
Thanks for all the good info. I will check the website out. orkirk

kakampers
09-12-2009, 07:36 AM
It is a hydraulic leveling system available from Lippert/Trail Air. Weather or not it can be had as an option through Heartland, I don't know. I know at the rally they were offering them to rally goers for around $2400 installed. Heartland should respond by Monday.

Ray is correct, however, the price that was quoted at the rally was ONLY for the 4 jacks around the tires. With a Bighorn, which comes with electric front landing gear, you need to have them upgraded to hydraulics for the entire system to work. This involves an additional cost...check with Trailair for a quote for your specific rig.

I will say though, that being fulltime, this is one expense I'm REALLY glad we did...worth every penny!!!:D

Ray LeTourneau
09-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Ray is correct, however, the price that was quoted at the rally was ONLY for the 4 jacks around the tires. With a Bighorn, which comes with electric front landing gear, you need to have them upgraded to hydraulics for the entire system to work. This involves an additional cost...check with Trailair for a quote for your specific rig.

I will say though, that being fulltime, this is one expense I'm REALLY glad we did...worth every penny!!!:D
Ken & Kathy, Do you know how much weight the Level Up added to your rig? This might be a nice Tax Return purchase. Of course I still want to consider disc brakes. I suppose Safety First...

porthole
09-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Ken & Kathy, Do you know how much weight the Level Up added to your rig? This might be a nice Tax Return purchase. Of course I still want to consider disc brakes. I suppose Safety First...

Disc brakes - without a doubt

Delaine and Lindy
09-12-2009, 02:08 PM
I have Disk Brakes and the Level-up system, I have had Disk Brakes on several 5th wheels and this is my second Level-up system. Disk Brakes should be a standard option on all 5th wheel, just for the saftey of all. The Level up system is just awesome, I personally want have a 5th wheel without a Level Up system. It is much more than a time saver. I now have very little movement in my 5th wheel, and I don't use any other support except the 6 hydraulic jack. I think if you ever see how this system works you will buy the Level up system. No we aren't full timing but I still believe you should have the Level Up system, it will save you many hours, which can be used in enjoying this wonderful life we are living. And don't forget you only live one time, and you don't know when that last day will come. Good Luck with your choice. GBY.....

orkirk
09-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Disc brakes - without a doubt

Can you order disc brakes on the BH? I didn't see that option. That would be a plus.

kakampers
09-12-2009, 02:44 PM

Hey Ray...I think the total weight for all 4 additional legs only added about 80 lbs. The hydraulic front landing gear did add maybe 10-15 lbs total. The entire change was probably just under 100 lbs. Well worth it for what they can accomplish. Each leg can lift 7,000lbs...which means all six can handle over 40,000lbs...don't think we can overload that...:rolleyes:

kakampers
09-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Can you order disc brakes on the BH? I didn't see that option. That would be a plus.

To my knowledge, no. However, they are several aftermarket disc brake systems that can be added later.

dieselengineer
09-12-2009, 03:22 PM
You should have both, and it would be nice if they were factory options from Heartland. I have completed the change over to disk brakes and the install is not that hard as long as you have all the parts and tools to complete the change. I walk by the old drums sitting in the garage and think how enjoyable towing is now.

truknutt
09-12-2009, 06:38 PM
You should have both, and it would be nice if they were factory options from Heartland. I have completed the change over to disk brakes and the install is not that hard as long as you have all the parts and tools to complete the change. I walk by the old drums sitting in the garage and think how enjoyable towing is now.

Ooo, ooo, Will you convert the 6 on the Cyclone, too? ;) Correctly though?!!

dieselengineer
09-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Dave
It is not that hard, running the brake line and making all the flare connections is the hardest part. Two extra wheels would not be that much more work.

porthole
09-12-2009, 09:19 PM

NO, but you can pick up the trailer in Elkhart and then head over to Mor/Ryde and have it done in a day, 2 days if you add the independent suspension.

Each leg can lift 7,000lbs...which means all six can handle over 40,000lbs...don't think we can overload that...

Can you jack the tires off the ground?

Dave
It is not that hard, running the brake line and making all the flare connections is the hardest part. Two extra wheels would not be that much more work.

6 wheels would probably really benefit from the 1/4" lines too.

trvlrerik
09-12-2009, 09:29 PM
This may be a stupid question, but where is the master cylinder? does it use the trucks' master or is it a remote electric controlled master cylinder?

jmgratz
09-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Mor-Ryde will put the master cylinder wherever you want. They put ours in the front basement right below the hydraulic fluid container. BTW the Mor-Ryde disc brakes use standard GM rotors, calipers and pads in their system so if you need to replace them you can get the parts at any auto parts stores. Simple

porthole
09-12-2009, 09:52 PM
This may be a stupid question, but where is the master cylinder? does it use the trucks' master or is it a remote electric controlled master cylinder?

Electric over hydraulic pump. Think mine is 1800 psi.
Mine is mounted between the generator and battery (see the red tag)

kakampers
09-13-2009, 06:44 AM
Porthole...Yes, this system will lift all four wheels off the ground. Ken just recently used that feature to adjust all the brakes...took less than ten minutes. The old way, one wheel at a time, would have taken at least an hour or more....he's in love...LOL:D

Kevin_Finn
09-13-2009, 10:28 AM
We currently do not offer the leveling system as an option.
You may contact Lippert and they may have it available as an after market option.

Thank you for your business!!

orkirk
09-15-2009, 08:27 PM

Did Heartland or Trailair upgrade your front jacks? I talked to Trailair today and they said to make sure Heartland upgraded the front Jacks with the round and pinless Jacks,not the orignal square jacks W/pins. We are going up to Heartland Factory Mon. 09-21 for a personal tour. After we get through the tour we will try to go to Trailair and talk to them. Maybe I can get things sorted out on this Level Up system.

Thanks for your help! orkirk

jbeletti
09-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Heartland does not offer round pinless front jacks. Trailair/Lippert uses these when they retrofit a Heartland RV that has electric front jacks, with hydraulic front jacks in combination with the hydraulic leveling system. You may want to call Kara at Trailair again and ask her to clarify her statement.

Jim

kakampers
09-16-2009, 06:34 AM
Did Heartland or Trailair upgrade your front jacks? I talked to Trailair today and they said to make sure Heartland upgraded the front Jacks with the round and pinless Jacks,not the orignal square jacks W/pins. We are going up to Heartland Factory Mon. 09-21 for a personal tour. After we get through the tour we will try to go to Trailair and talk to them. Maybe I can get things sorted out on this Level Up system.

Thanks for your help! orkirk

I have no idea why Trailair would say such a thing??? They replaced my landing gear with the "round, pinless" type at their location, at an additional cost of around $800...did you talk with Kara??

Heartland would not have access to those legs. These are the legs supplied to Mobile Suites, I think directly from Lippert, but not positive.

Tom of Ypsi
09-16-2009, 08:42 AM
We have the level-up system and we have the hydraulic front jacks on our Landmark so there was no need for the round pinless jacks. I suppose I could have spent another $800 for the pinless jacks.

Delaine and Lindy
09-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Ken your just a wealth of information, and is correct if I didn't know better I would think your a rep for Lippert. But your correct about the Level up system by Lippert. Back in 2006 I went to White Flint MI to have the Big Foot automatic Level up system installed. And at the time I had Hydraulic Jacks on the front of out 5er but wanted to change to the Big Foot system, but due to space in the front of the 5er I decided not to make the change. While I was there the Shop manager ask why I wanted to change the front Hydraulic jacks which were installed when the 5th wheel was built, his coment was Lippert makes a great Hydraulic system and that was in 2006. So Lippert has been installing Hydraulic Jack for sometime. And the system works, and I highly recoment the Lippert Level up system. Ok Lippert send Ken and me our checks:D. GBY.....

orkirk
09-16-2009, 09:32 PM
I have no idea why Trailair would say such a thing??? They replaced my landing gear with the "round, pinless" type at their location, at an additional cost of around $800...did you talk with Kara??

Heartland would not have access to those legs. These are the legs supplied to Mobile Suites, I think directly from Lippert, but not positive.

I did talk with Kara ,but I'm going to call her again since you all have given me all this good info. I was thinking I could get Heartland to install the Landmark Hydraulic landing gear at the time they were building the 5/w. Then after I talked to Trailair I didn't think they could combine the Level up system with the Heartland Hydraulic Landing Gear. Now after reading a couple of posts on this forum ,sounds like it might work.
I've given myself plenty of time to work out the details on this subject. So with the help of the good people on this forum I'll get it done.
I want to thank everyone, that responded to my post, for all your help on this subject. You still can't beat experience as the best teacher.

Safe Travels, orkirk

kakampers
09-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Trust me...if you can get it, go with the round, pinless legs instead of the Landmark legs. Not having to deal with the drop-feet is one of the best parts of this system...

orkirk
09-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Trust me...if you can get it, go with the round, pinless legs instead of the Landmark legs. Not having to deal with the drop-feet is one of the best parts of this system...

Sounds good to me! By the way,what do you do with the rear heartland jacks? I was going to order electric until I found out about this Level up system. Now I may be able to save that cost. Kara told me they charge $2250 for the basic level up system. Then if you added the $800 for the front landing gear,it would put the system costing $3000 or so. That would be well worth it to me. Sounds like you really like it.
Again, thanks for all your help!

Safe Travels, orkirk

Tom of Ypsi
09-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Get the electric rear stabilizer jacks, without them there is a little bounce in the rear end, just a little but there non the less. At first we did not put our back jacks down then one day some one visiting, Kathy Adams (Kakampers) I believe, noticed the rear blinds moving ever so slightly. After putting down the rear jacks no movement.

orkirk
09-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Get the electric rear stabilizer jacks, without them there is a little bounce in the rear end, just a little but there non the less. At first we did not put our back jacks down then one day some one visiting, Kathy Adams (Kakampers) I believe, noticed the rear blinds moving ever so slightly. After putting down the rear jacks no movement.

Thanks,I need all the help I can get. I've got lots of notes written down from all you good people. I'll get this all sorted out yet.:)
Safe Travels,
orkirk

kakampers
09-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Yeah Tom...that was me! I'm real glad I didn't remove my electric jacks..takes out that last little bit of movement due to the long tailend on these things.

Orkirk...glad you got the info straight with Kara...that sounds more like it!