Where do I buy crimp rings and crimper?

SPY9

Factory:

Where can I get the crimp rings and crimper tool for the fresh water tubing for my 2009 Bighorn? I want to do some modifications and repairs. It is my understanding that there are many brands of crimper tools amd crimp rings. Also it is my understanding that they both need to be the same brand. Thank you for your help in this matter.

rick_debbie_gallant

If it is for pex tubing I know I have seen them at Menards, and Lowe's or Home Depot. There are also some quick connectors that you can buy that do not require any tools. One is called "sharkstooth" and another is "watts". They are similar and can be taken off and reused. Nice thing is you can connect them to copper, pvc, pex, etc..... you can also get the tubing there for your mods in different colors, and different diameters, and lengths.

Niles

I got ours at Lowe's. I think you can find them at any of the big three, Lowe's Menards or Home Depot.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Factory:

Where can I get the crimp rings and crimper tool for the fresh water tubing for my 2009 Bighorn? I want to do some modifications and repairs. It is my understanding that there are many brands of crimper tools amd crimp rings. Also it is my understanding that they both need to be the same brand. Thank you for your help in this matter.

You can start here, or do a search for "Pex tools.
"http://www.pexsupply.com/PEX-Tools-26000

I've attached an installation guide for using Pex that I found some time ago while researching a repair job for my nephew. Didn't do it, though.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Lowes carries the crimper and rings and most of the fittings for Zurn Pex.

Good luck,
Mark

Mark is right was at Lowes the other day and they had them at our local store. One word of caution beware of sticker shock when you see the prices.:D....Kenny

Dave

Traveling Two
Crimp Rings

I also wanted to install a water cut off valve next to the toilet, my plan is to cut the plastic pipe including crimp ring and replace it with a valve and hose clamp. There is the same water pressure at the cold water faucet as the toilet so why would they use a crimp ring? Be safe!!

porthole

Retired
Crimp rings properly installed are better then hos clamps. They don't cut into the hose and they don't loosen with time.

Fuel injection systems on cars and bikes use crimps.

ricatic

Ok, this is an area where I may be able to help. My company works in the fast food maintenance and building industry. We do a lot of water and drink service equipment repairs and installs for some of the largest and most recognizable chains. We use all of the above mentioned devices. The most popular attaching method is the Oetiker crimp ring. It is the clamp of choice for both Coke and Pepsi installers. It goes anywhere you need to clamp plastic tubing, be it Pex or braided/unbraided vinyl. It is stone reliable and works better than spiral hose clamps. We do not purchase the expensive factory crimp tools. We get excellent results using end cutting nipper pliers. Everybody makes these cutters and all the big boxes sell them. We purchase a lot of the Pex, Watts and Sharkbite fittings at Home Depot , Lowes and Menards. The Sharkbites have not been available at Lowes yet. The Oetiker stuff is also at the big boxes and is reasonable. We buy there because we travel a lot and it is easier to get a list and go shopping than to try to haul it all on an airplane. The Watts selections at all the big boxes are extensive. We rarely have a situation where they do not have something we can use to complete the job. One fitting not mentioned above is the " John-Guest" fitting. These are the Watts referred to above. They are like a quick disconnect air line. We only use these with the hard plastic or vinyl lines. They do the job when needed. A few words about the Sharkbite products. This is the greatest plumbing product since the demise of the outhouse. It will adapt just about anything to anything. It will go from hard or soft copper to hard plastic, cpvc or male/female iron pipe. No soldering or gluing needed and if they seat correctly when you put them together they do not leak. We use them on water supplys that run at 80 psi. I recommend purchasing the disconnect tool for all the sizes you use as they are cheap and you can reuse the fitting. This is helpful when a novice is trying to fit stuff together. The bad news is the Sharkbite stuff is expensive. A 1/2 inch elbow is around five bucks at Home Depot. I try to stock these fittings. Even though they cost more, we use them quite often in retrofits. I hope this was helpful and the posting not too long

Ricatic

porthole

Retired
I got a pair of Oetiker crimpers (end and side crimp) on eBay for 18 buck delivered.
I need the side version to change the fuel filter on my bike.

chasdvorak

I'm having some problems with a leaky by-pass valve behing the UDC. Will any of the crimpers work with the Oeitiker stainless steel crimps? I've seen a variety of crimpers on ebay, but most of them talk about the black copper crimps, bot the stainless steel ones that are used on my BH 3580.

wyleyrabbit

The crimp tool I purchased at Home Depot (in Canada) is made by Waterline, and is called the Surlok PinchClamp starter set. Hopefully that link works. The crimp rings are reasonably cheap, and this seems to do the job. Obviously a guy can spend hundreds of dollars on tools, but for occasional use, this one should be okay.

ricatic

I have had some PM's regarding the type of tool we use for crimping the stainless rings. I have attached a link to the Channel Lock tool like we use. We use these for more than just crimping so they serve more purpose than a specific crimp tool. They work as well as the specific tool as long as you can access the crimp ring when in place. As mentioned above, there is always the possibility that you would need the side crimps but we have not run into that in our applications. I hope this helps.

http://www.channellock.com/acb/stor...128C9.cfmhttp://www.channellock.com/acb/store

Ricatic

chasdvorak

I found this video on youtube. It shows the various fasteners that can be used on pex. My BH uses the stainless steel clamp rings as shown in the first example. I found what looks like the same tool on ebay for $38 with shipping and 30 1/2" crimps included. Once I saw the video, I borrowed a nipper end pliers and tried a new ring on one of the fittings I removed. I had a tight fit, but it did not look like the crimps done at the factory, so I thought I'd give the one on the video a try. I'm hoping it is as as easy for me as it was on the video.

Pex Clamp/Crimp Video Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwvAzcJpM0k&feature=related