Disc Brakes

shaneandtammymoore

Shane & Tammy
Has anyone switched over to disc brakes. Silly question huh. I was looking at them on the mor/ryde website but didnt see any pricing. If you have them what did it cost and was it worth it.

Thanks

porthole

Retired
There is no pricing because there are too many variables.
Number of axles for starters.
Size of brakes, hub type, separate rotors or hub and rotor, pump size - etc.

And they are excellent. Really put mine to the test in 2 of our last 3 outings.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our disc brakes have saved us on more than one occasion. They are worth the money and if you want to know how much, call Mor-Ryde and as to speak to Gary Wheeler. He will give you a quote. They are not a cheap add on (upgrade) but how much is your safety worth?

cjbearden

Visitor
We changed to the M/R disc brakes in May 2009 and are so glad we did. Now we feel we have reliable braking power and are not concerned traveling mountainous regions. Prior to getting the Disc Brakes, DH kept saying he didn't feel any braking on the RV and there was no way he was traveling in the mountains. Now we go pretty much where we want to go. M/R folks are fantastic.

Tankie

I talked to a dealer in TN about having disc brakes installed, and their opinion was parts and service will be hard to find. Has anyone had an issue w/this or is he blowing smoke? Thanks

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Talked to a trailer place up here in Canada, cost would be about $3K with off the shelf parts. Electric hydralic pump brakes and everything. No problem. There should be no problem with "servicing" them

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I talked to a dealer in TN about having disc brakes installed, and their opinion was parts and service will be hard to find. Has anyone had an issue w/this or is he blowing smoke? Thanks

How can the parts and service be hard to find when Mor-Ryde uses standard GM parts which can be bought at any auto parts store. And if you can change the brake pads on your car you can on the RV. Sounds to me like the dealer was confused about this issue IMHO.

SilverRhino

I am interested in changing over our BC to disc brakes. One question I have ........ is there more than one brand?? ..... if so ...... is one brand better than the others??

Another question ...... can this mod be a DIY ???

Tankie

The disc brake system this place sells is made by kodiak, they are all elec. no hyd. the cost w/ install is around 3k rough est. has anyone heard of kodiak brand?

cjbearden

Visitor
Kodiak is the brand used by MorRyde and they are Excellent! Auto parts store for parts if needed like jmgratz said. Also, MaxBrake controller in our truck helps response to be quicker and releases quicker.

nifti

nifti

We're proud owners of an 08 3400RL, which we're into the 2nd year of using. This is the first time here for me, but have perused the site heaps of times. These disc brake setups that are talked about, being hydraulic, do they have a parking brake as part of the deal?

porthole

Retired
How can the parts and service be hard to find when Mor-Ryde uses standard GM parts which can be bought at any auto parts store. And if you can change the brake pads on your car you can on the RV. Sounds to me like the dealer was confused about this issue IMHO.

Only the pads used with the Kodiak setup are standard GM pads

I am interested in changing over our BC to disc brakes. One question I have ........ is there more than one brand?? ..... if so ...... is one brand better than the others??

Yes, there is more then 1 brand. Mor/Ryde uses either a Kodiak or Dexter kit. These are some of the differences.
Dexter:
· This kit uses Dexter specific parts (pads in particular)
· The rotors are separate from the hub (cheaper & easier to replace)
· The never lube hub is only available on the Dexter and uses special bearings and installation

Kodiak:
· Standard GM pads, don’t know about the 1 piece rotors & hubs
· Bearings & seals are standard over the counter parts

My preference was for the Kodiak partly because of the pads but mainly because of the bearings.

I’ll try here with some keyboard characters
· | = hub
· > = bearings
· -- = spindle

Dexter never lube -|><|-

Kodiak -|>----<|-

Make any sense? The Kodiak is a traditional bearing placement, e.g. the bearings are near the outer edges of the hub with the Never Lube the bearings are back to back and in the center of the hub. Physics would suggest that the load spread out across the hub would be better for the dynamics of heavy trailers, especially with the way these things torque up the wheels on tight turns.

To support this theory of mine, there apparently have been a few failures using the “back to back version”

Another question ...... can this mod be a DIY ???
Yes you can.

The disc brake system this place sells is made by Kodiak, they are all elec. no hyd. the cost w/ install is around 3k rough est. has anyone heard of Kodiak brand?

Mor/Ryde offers both Dexter & Kodiak, depends on what features you prefer. All of the Mor/Ryde suspension stuff is “ala carte”. All of the choices are based on your preferences, trailer dry and loaded weights etc.

They are NOT all electric. An electric over hydraulic pump is used (12 volt DC motor spinning a hydraulic pump supplying brake fluid to the brakes). This is also an “over the counter” pump, although most likely not at you local Pep Boys.

These disc brake setups that are talked about, being hydraulic, do they have a parking brake as part of the deal?

If they were air brakes they could be, but to answer your question, no, no parking brake available.
The system only applies the brakes when you step on the brakes, sending a varying voltage to the pump. Because of that Mor/Ryde recommends that when you will be stopped for an extended time, e.g. railroad crossings, passenger running into the store etc that you put the truck in park and take your foot off the brake.
If you foot is on the brake you are running the pump. Supposedly this can overheat the pump. No specific pump run time is given though.

SilverRhino

Thank you

Duane;

Thanks for the information ...... this will cut down on some search time. I'm planning on doing the mod myself ..... we'll see. DW does not understand having to spend money on a brand new trailer ..... I'm playing the "safety card" on this one ;)

I agree with you ..... the Kodiak system does appear to be the way to go.

Great drawings by the way!

Last edited: