Yellowstone Campgrounds

Has anyone been able to stay in either Madison or Fishing Bridge CG inside Yellowstone National Park with their BigHorn? We are planning a trip to Yellowstone for the summer of 2010 and had wanted to stay in one of Yellowstone's CG's. It appears that there is a maximum 50’ limit of your tow vehicle and RV for Madison but not for Fishing Bridge. We had wanted to dry camp Madison with our daughters’ and their family who will be renting a 30’ Class C to stay in, but guess we will be doing Fishing Bridge instead.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We took a trip to Yellowstone this past May camping in Cody and went looking at Fishing Bridge CG thinking about maybe moving on into the park to camp but decided not to after seeing 6-8 foot deep snow in the CG. The CG was open and they let us drive thru the parts that were open (not all of the CG loops were open) and there was 1 Big Horn camping there. The sites are short and he looked real tight but he was definitely in. We decided just to stay in Cody and drive back and forth into YNP and Grand Teton. Grand Teton only had one CG opened in the whole park for camping which was in (I think) Signal Mountain resort but you definitely could not get our BC in - more for popups and tent camping.

Sundance_kid

Check RV parks in the town of West Yellowstone and visit the park from there, park entrance is at the edge of town.

SmokeyBare

We rented a Motor home RV when we did Yellowstone with our daughters first week of June 1996. We camped in Fishing Bridge on that trip in a Motor Home with no slide rooms and I felt it was quite a tight fit back then. I'm sure it will be fine even with slide rooms. We were sort of new to camping with a larger RV then...

Since then we've stayed in West Yellowstone... a far closer place to camp outside the park than Cody. There were several parks in the West Yellowstone area... If you find the time, visit the state park in a town called Thermopolis WY. Neat place to visit... but be warned of the scent of the Mineral Hot springs.

Have a good trip !!

Two Hands

We stayed at Fishing Bridge with a 25 foot travel trailer and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We saw many sites that would have easily accommodated the Big Horn 3055RL that we now have. We liked the RV park because it was centrally located and within easy walking distance of many services. We also saw coyotes, buffalo and snowshoe rabbits in the campground. One day we made the circle route looking for wildlife and only managed to see bears from a great distance. As we were returning to Fishing Bridge there was a big grizzley bear cub just a quarter of a mile from our camp site. That was cool!

Cyncwby

We stayed at Fishing Bridge a couple of years ago, very nice place and close to Yellowstone Lake. Its a beautiful place, I'm sure you'll love it. One day I was parked about 3/4 mile down the road watching some elk when A BIG Griz jumped them, quite a site but he missed. Make reservations well in advance.......enjoy.

buckeyebob

we stayed at grizzly rv park in west yellowstone montana.its an hour from central yellowstone (madison).park was beautiful and cost 42 a nite ,the same as cody koa which was a dump compared to grizzly!!!!west yellow stone was really friendly ,good restraunts etc.but we didnt like the long drive to the park each day,but from cody it would be 2 hours or so.by the time i got our traveling companions up at the crack of 8 and they had breakfast,put on her face etc and we drove to the park all the critters were bedded down for the noon heat and we saw NO BEARS !!!!!!!!i get up at 530 every day so maybe its me?stay at the park cg and enjoy!!!!buckeyebob

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
stop by

I live near Yellowstone and have ample room to set a 5er if you are out this direction. I live on the South Fork of the Snake river and am an avid fly fisherman (float it a lot.) Want to go down the South Fork let us know. Yellowstone is an awesome place and I still find new things and I go through it all the time and have for years.

Russ

charliehorse

Several years ago i parked a 31' S.O.B. in Bay Bridge, in 2008 a 29' Sundance double slide with F-250 in Canyon Village and Mammoth, and in 2009 same Sundance in Soda Butte just east of Cooke City. No problems - go slow & have some one spot you as you back in . no problem with tree limbs . Aslo had the Sundance in Colter Bay in Teton N.P. In both Teton and Yellowstone - the campground gate will check your length and assign you a suitable spot. Not to worry ..enjoy !

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
We camped at fishing bridge CG in our 33' sundance would not do it again, very tight scratched our new truck on evergreen tree branches backing in slides were up against neighbors slide planned a 1 week stay in fishing bridge CG, only stayed in that CG 2 days and moved TRAVELER07

Clark

Stayed at the Lionshead back in 2007 during our trip to Yellowstone. It was a bit out of town, but didn't think it was too far. Nice CG and definitely big rig friendly.
Clark

palebluedot

We stayed at a private campground this past spring at Gardiner at the north entrance in our bighorn 3610RE. If you like scenic drives, don't miss the Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge, MT and the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway. Two of the best roads on our 12 state trip.

TNT

We stayed at Fishing Bridge in 06 with a 24' travel trailer, was a bit tight so when we went back in 08 we stayed at Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone. I think West Yellowstone is closter to Madison than Fishing Bridge. It only took us 20-25 minutes to be at the Madison junction. We are thinking of going back in 2010 as well and due to size and how nice Grizzly RV park was we will definitely go back!

Jewels55

When we look for RV parks we go to this web site: http://www.rvparkreviews.com/
It's always served us well!

I will say though... we stayed at Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone and could practically hear our neighbors sneeze because the RV sights were so close. We then drove to the east side of Yellowstone and stayed outside of Cody at Yellowstone Valley Inn and RV Park. The RV sights were okay, but the food at the restaurant was the best we ate our whole 4,000 mile vacation!

RVCamper

This summer we camped at Bay Bridge and Madision with a F350 and a 31QBS which is about 33-6" long. If you plan ahead and get one of the very few large sites, as we did. It was great.