Canopy

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree, there isn't much we can do to keep it dry. As Derrick said, open it up to dry after rain to keep mildew and mold from forming.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
And if mildew does start forming, clean it off as soon as possible. Mildew "eats" the awning material:eek:.

thomasinnv

And if mildew does start forming, clean it off as soon as possible. Mildew "eats" the awning material:eek:.

i have tried several different kinds of cleaners/remedies/solutions, and the one that i like best is 'Mr.Clean magic erasers'. it's gentle on the fabric, but even the most stubborn set in mold just wipes right off and the fabric brightens right up.

CCRV

What is the best protective cover for winter protection - that should keep the Trailer and canopy dry and clean?

lhetsler

Awning

The mold grows on dirt so regular cleaning will cut down on mold. I wash mine and when needed I take a spray bottle with 1 part bleach to 8 parts water and spray the awning and roll it up and let it stand for about 15 to twenty minutes and it comes out white as can be on the bottom, I dont have a problem with mold on the top surface since it gets washed by the rain.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
What is the best protective cover for winter protection - that should keep the Trailer and canopy dry and clean?

Lots of pros and cons on covers (see a few below). I think most who advocate their use have the ADCO Tyvek cover designed to fit their particular trailer.

Pros: Keeps it clean, possibly dry (some say they get condensation), keeps dirt and leaves and small branches off the roof (if stored outside), minimizes black streaks.

Cons: May scratch the fiberglass, may create condensation (?), can be fun putting on and taking off by yourself.

Bob&Patty-DW

THE BOSS OF THE OUTFIT
My vote is for the "magic erasers" It will even clean the yellow of the door window trim. Roll it out and let it dry after a rain and driving in the rain. Patty alias Bob:D

colorocky

Keep water out of rolled awning

Lots of wind here in eastern CO, so I get rain/snow forced into rolled awning when stored for the season. Recent issue of a magazine suggested using lower portion of 2 litre soda bottle. Slit one side so bottle can be spread apart, and drill hole in bottom to fit over awning roller pin. Spread open bottle over end of awning and pin and allow to snack back to shape. The illustration showed a couple of slits partially down the bottle, perhaps for drainage so any water that blew in from open end wouldn't pool. I'm going to try it at both ends of awning.