Custom Battery Box

Edmonton

I actually had this project completed just prior to the Labor Day weekend but didn't get around to taking any pictures. Did the final cleanup for the season and winterizing today and thought I better get some pictures before I head to the storage tomorrow.

We are typically dry camping most of the time. When I changed over to the 6 volt batteries I was not impressed with the selection of boxes that were available. Also, as my grand plan for the solar includes an inverter and 4 batteries to make it work properly, I needed to come up with a solution that could house all 4. I did look at buying a box that was pre-built but I felt they were too pricey and they would have to be modified somehow to fit nicely on the trailer and/or be vented so they could safely hold batteries.

I built this out of 16 gauge metal and welded the box together in my shop (well, my welder did anyway). The lid is also 16 gauge and I had it cut and bent so that all we had to do was weld the corners. I bought 2 RV vents that are for venting battery boxes and installed those, one on either side. For now, as there are only 2 batteries, I put 2 spacer pieces in the middle to create a box for 2 batteries so they don't slide on me. The box width is just wide enough for 4 batteries across. In the remaining angled spaces on the sides I ran my cables through strain relief connectors up into the box. I did remove the angle iron that was creating the channel the old battery boxes sat in. This box is bolted to the framing that supports the spare tire.

I am very happy with the way it turned out. It is totally custom and it doesn't look out of place on the trailer (well, in my opinion anyway). I still need to find some edging material to put on the lid edge and the box top to finish it off and so it isn't sharp. It cost me about $140.00 for parts, of which I spent $80.00 having the lid cut and bent. Once I get my extra batteries it is just a matter of dropping them in.

David

irvin56

nice Job

I looks great, like it was made for any trailer.
Will be easy to access also.

best one I've seen, of all home made setups out in the CG"S. Lots are made from wood.

SilverRhino

Very nice job ....... looks better and will definitely last longer than any you would have purchased.

Travel Safe!

Edmonton

Yeah I have seen the wooden ones as well and really I could have done the same thing but the metal actually weighs a lot less for the strength. This box is very light compared to making it from plywood with a frame underneath.

Thanks to all for the kind words.

David