09 Fall Rally Agenda & Notices

Hudson

In this thread I will make announcements of special importance to people attending the rally at Camp Hatteras. First off, I'll soon post the agenda as it stands now. I'll also post information such as lists of things you might want to bring, information about who need to bring what to the two special dinners, etc.

I ask your indulgence that you only post in this thread information that other attendees need to see or know. That will keep the SNR high. Other posts should go in the main thread for this rally [here].

There will be contests and stuff you probably want to know about before driving in (so you'll know what to pack).

Two of the pot luck dinners will be much less "luck" than usual -- we (mostly my wife Tracy that is) will coordinate with each and every attendee to make sure the right stuff is brought for the right dinners, etc. Watch this space carefully, please!

I'll also try to email everyone but my email list of attendees might not be up-to-date. If you don't get emails from me about this stuff, then send me a private message with your email address and I'll add you to the email list.

Hudson

Main Agenda

A PDF of the agenda is attached and is much prettier. Please try to use the PDF instead of this text glob I'm dropping below...:)

“East Coast Luau”

Sponsored by Chesapeake RV Solutions

Rally Events Agenda

Friday, September 25, 2009

2:00 Arrival and Check-in. Get situated in your site and setup camp.

6:00 “Aloha” Welcome Dinner.
Wear a Hawaiian shirt or muumuu. Pick up your welcome package. Enjoy a Hawaiian style dinner. Tracy will be coordinating with every camper for what to bring for dinner.

8:00 “Aloha” Welcome Party. After dinner we will have a trivia contest and a Hawaiian outfit contest (shirts, hats, muumuus, grass skirts, shell/coconut/flower bras, whatever). There will be a group photo of everyone in their Hawaiian outfits. Next we’ll have hula dancing, hula hoops, and a limbo contest! After that we’ll spend the rest of the night singing karaoke.

Saturday, September 26, 2009

8:00 Pot Luck Breakfast. Bring a breakfast dish to share. Bring your own beverage.

9:30 Group Photo. Wear your rally t-shirt if you got one.

10:00 HOC Chapter Meeting led by Virginia Chapter Leader, Gus Funderburg.

11:00 Informal Yard Sale. If you want to sell or buy something from another camper, this is a good time for that.

Lunch will be on your own today.

1:00 Special Heartland Factory Guest Ron Dickeson Ron is the Eastern Regional Sales Rep for Landmark and Big Horn.
1:00 Presentation by Ron Dickeson. Ron will tell us about what the factory has done with their latest units and he might hand out some cool stuff to lucky listeners.
1:30 Q & A session with Ron. Talk to Ron about changes you’d like to see. Rave about what you like most. The factory listens to Ron and they want to hear more about what they are doing well and what people would like for them to do differently.
2:00 2010 Rig Tour. Between what Chesapeake RV Solutions is bringing and some of our attendees’ rigs, we’ve got five different 2010 models, including Landmark, Big Horn, Big Country, Sundance, and maybe a new Road Warrior toy hauler.
3:00 Modified rigs tour. Anyone who wants to show off modifications to their rig or tow vehicle can put their rig on this tour.

6:00 “East Coast Luau” Did you bring more than one Hawaiian outfit? Wear the other one tonight (or wear the same one from last night – we won’t tell anyone – or wear your rally t-shirt). Enjoy a completely different Hawaiian style dinner tonight. Tracy will be coordinating this dinner also.
Special Guest Speaker Tim Loen, Chesapeake RV Solutions. Tim and his wife Jacqueline own Chesapeake RV Solutions. Tim will speak to us about purchasing and maintaining RVs. Afterward Tim will answer any questions you may have about RV maintenance.
Prizes, prizes, prizes. We’ll be giving out prizes for the rig decorating contest, plus door prizes, and some prizes for other things as well. You must be present to win!
9:00 Beach Bonfire. Yes, all you campfire lovers, we can have a bonfire on the ocean beach. Bring your chairs, towels, and marshmallows.

Sunday, September, 27, 2009

7:00 Sunrise Devotional Service. Led by Paul Nelson. This will be held outside if skies and temps permit. Otherwise it will be held in the conference center.

8:00 BYO Breakfast. Bring food for your family to eat.

11:00 Check out. We’ll see you again in the Spring!

All events are held in the Conference Center unless otherwise indicated

Agendas for kids and for events outside the main rally (Friday-Sunday) will be posted separately.

Attachments

• Main Agenda.pdf
    37.7 KB · Views: 20

Hudson

Dinners

There will be two completely different Hawaiian/Polynesian themed pot-luck dinners, one Friday and one Saturday. We are going to do this differently than most pot lucks. Most importantly, you will only be asked to cook for one of those two dinners but you'll cook an extra large portion to make up for it. That's the big reason why it will be two different dinners -- two different sets of cooks! Anyone who wants to cook for both will certainly be welcome to!

Tracy will coordinate who is bringing what (entree, side dish, dessert) and on what night to make sure there is enough food for everyone each night. To make this happen, Tracy needs an answer from every camper to the following questions. Everyone should also get this message in email -- if you don't then let me know. Send your answers as a reply to the email you got. If you didn't get email, send me a private message on this web site (so this thread doesn't get flooded).

If you aren't the one who cooks, then please give this to the person in your family who cooks right now and please make sure their reply gets back to me. Thank you.

#1 Do you want to cook a Hawaiian/Polynesian dish for both nights (even though you don't have to)?

#2 Do you prefer to cook Friday night or Saturday night? (ignore if you want to cook both nights).

#3 Which of these Hawaiian/Polynesian dish types can you bring? Entree / Side Dish / Dessert? Do you have a preference?

#4 If you don't know any Hawaiian/Polynesian recipes but you like to cook, can Tracy just give you a dish/recipe or two to try and you can handle it from there?

#5 If you do not or cannot cook or you absolutely do not want to cook Hawaiian/Polynesian for some reason, please answer this email anyway telling us that. Tracy will think of something you can buy to bring.

BTW, since you are only cooking for one night (unless you want to cook for both), on the other night (the night you don't cook) you will be asked to bring soda/waters/tea/ice/forks, etc. Unless you have a strong preference as to what you have to bring on the "other" night, Tracy will just pick something for each of you and let you know what it is.

After Tracy gets all your answers, she will send you back an individual email (and maybe a combined posting) letting you know what you're on the hook for!

This will be tremendous fun for all.

BTW, since Tracy has to tabulate everyone's answers, balance or rebalance the cooking, and get back to everyone before we leave for the rally, we need your answers ASAP. In return we will let you know your actual cooking task no later than this weekend. So please don't tarry ... the questions are easy ... it's only the cooking that's hard ;)

Hudson

Food update

Thank you to everyone who has responded about food so far. About half of you have gotten me a reply of some kind. Tonight I will send an email to everyone I've heard from to let you know I got your message.

BTW, nobody has volunteered to bring/do/make any seafood dishes. I assume it's because you don't want your rig to smell like fish. Outer Banks is famous for fresh fish and Hawaiian/Polynesian food is frequently seafood. We can handle the seafood dishes by cooking them at the campground's kitchen using locally purchased fresh fish.

If you want to help with seafood dishes (buying fish and/or cooking) let me know. If you love seafood dishes, let me know. If you hate seafood, let me know. That way I'll know how much effort to put into the seafood part of the luau.

BTW, I don't like fish so don't ask me what kind of fish they have in OBX. I have learned that Luau fish is usually Ahi (tuna), Mahi-Mahi, and Salmon. I don't know how those fish relate to the OBX fish though.

Hudson

Contests/Things to Bring

[This is from Tracy, I just typed it in for her]

Here's a list of our planned activities that may require you to pack some extra or different things for this rally. You don't have to participate in any of the extra activities or contests, but it's always fun!

• Campsite Decorating Contest

1. Classiest
  2. Kitschiest
  3. Funniest
  4. Best Use of Pink Flamingos
Bring out the pineapples, coconuts, tikis, surfboards, and palm trees! Make your campsite look like the islands. Sign up at the Friday welcome party. Judging will happen right after the "modified rigs tours" on Saturday afternoon.
  • Tropical Outfit Contest
Wear your coolest or loudest shirt, sarong, or muumuu -- extra points for accessories like beachcomber hats, shades, flip-flops, etc. Do you dare wear a coconut or flower bra, grass skirt, or Carmen Miranda hat?
  • Limbo Contest -- will you need to bring backache pills?

• Hula Contest or "Lessons" -- same question
If you already have a grass skirt, bring it along!
  • Hula Hoop Contest
We may leave this to the kids! Oh, who am I kidding?
We'll also have raffles and door prizes [ed: until we run out of prizes], a trivia contest, and karaoke! (Hey, does anyone have Hawaiian or tropical karaoke CDs?)

Remember, the theme is East Coast Luau, so think about anything tropical [ed: Pacific vice (not) Caribbean/Atlantic] -- palm trees, shells, sand, hammocks, coconuts, pineapple, parrots, dolphins, tiki gods (and tiki bars!), tropical drinks, grass skirts, amazing flowers, and volcanoes! Don't forget to carry the theme into serving bowls, dishes, daytime (non-contest) clothing! If you have any cool items you'd like to see used to help decorate the conference center, please let me know!

Looking forward to a great time!

Hudson

Food, final

Okay, except for the Burnhams (special case) I have sent everyone on my mailing list an email about the food specific to them. If you don't have an email from me, let me know somehow. The emails were sent out mostly last night and some this morning.

lew2885

Re: yardsale--I can't remember where I'm supposed to list what I'm bringing, but I have a Belkin wireless unit that I don't need anymore--excellent condition--and some handpainted glassware (wine goblets, cake dome) that the ladies might like, and some crocheted necklaces that I make. We're excited about this, our first ever rally. Rita Lewis

Hudson

Arriving and checking in

Several people have asked this already so I've decided to post this here so all can see and know:

When you get to Rodanthe, turn west into the sound side of Camp Hatteras and go directly to your assigned camp site. After you've parked your rig, walk across to the ocean side to the office to check in and take care of any balance you owe.

There is no need to drive your rig into the ocean side.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
"There is no need to drive your rig into the ocean... "

Whew...Thank goodness. I've never checked to see how well it floats:eek::rolleyes:. SORRY - just couldn't resist:D.

pbascom

we're late to the party - just made our reservation today. sent you an email earlier today Hudson, about what we need to contribute in the food department. We're willing and eager to do whatever needs doing. thanks and see you soon. Peg

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Fuel

If you are coming into Camp Hatteras from the north and need to fuel, do so in Nags Head before that 20 mile trip to Rodanthe. Diesel is .20 cents a gallon cheaper up there. But don't go to Hess, tight parking lot to get out of.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
There is no need to drive your rig into the ocean... "

Whew...Thank goodness. I've never checked to see how well it floats:eek::rolleyes:. SORRY - just couldn't resist:D

fea_29_water_rick_1_04-29-2006_N97D.jpg

It won't!:mad:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If you are coming into Camp Hatteras from the north and need to fuel, do so in Nags Head before that 20 mile trip to Rodanthe. Diesel is .20 cents a gallon cheaper up there. But don't go to Hess, tight parking lot to get out of.

Thanks Deb!

Jim & Harriet

diesel stops

anyone have info about good (with room to maneuver) diesel stops on 460 around petersburg or suffolk? we have not travel this way in a long time and any suggestions are much appreciated.
thanks for your help.:)