Springs issue and tire wear

beardedone

Beardedone
I also have a 2009 and just went out and checked the driver's side of my Augusta. I don't see any bent hangers but the tires are wearing from contact with the shock absorber and the rear spring pack seems to have twisted a bit. None of the leaves appear broken. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the curb side, but I am going to check them in the morning. (It was getting dark) It looks like the shocks should be cut off the trailer as eventually because there is not enough room and the tires are going to blow! Not good engineering.:mad:

beardedone

Beardedone
I got home last night and today re-inspected the tires. The tires on the drivers side are worse now so something will have to be done. The trailer has only gone on two trips and not a really long ways at that. Photos are available. Considering the history of this occurrance I think this should be repaired by Lippert. Comments?

jbeletti

Gerry,

I suggest that you take photos, prepare them to be emailed, then call Lippert (number is on the portal - left side).

Jim

geeksrus

If you are still under the coach's warranty, I would call both Heartland & Lippert regarding the problem. HL will most likely bounce you to Lippert but at least you'll have a record that you took this step.
If out-of-warranty just call Lippert.

When I had a broken spring incident in June, Lippert replaced most of the hardware other then the shocks. Still waiting to receive the cheque for the compensation plan they agreed to (didn't provide for all my costs, but was as decent as I felt I could get). This was for the labour & replacement of 2 damaged tires.

Eh!

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
so, Jim do you know if HL or Lippert have addressed this in the 2011 Landmarks?
chainsaw

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Springs

I have posted a question about the modification or change in specification to the springs and running gear for 2011 to offset the problems incurred in the past. so far I have not received and answer. Is there a change? I would like to know before I purchase.
Chainsaw

jbeletti

Chainsaw,

The question you refer to was posted in the Landmark Frame forum. The factory monitors the Ask The Factory forum - where you have posted now. They here do not know about the question in the frame area.

Here is a link to that question.

I will answer this for the plant now, then move this post out of the ATF and over to Frame.

We are always looking at ways to improve our product and past repairs/warranty expense provides a great guide. This includes the area of running gear/suspension. Yes, we are looking hard at this area.

That said, I cannot say if there will or will not be changes for the next model year. Of the >30,000 RVs we have built, a small percentage have experienced these issues. To me, this would indicate a material defect or installation error rather than an engineering problem.

To further delve into this, I suggest you contact Heartland by phone at 574-262-5992. You may ask for our Engineering department.

Thanks.

Jim

Post being moved/merged with Frame thread.

Jim

K

Kevin_Finn

What type of issues are you refering to? We have made no changes that I know of.
Please be more specific and I will try to get an answer for you.

lwmcguir

I got home last night and today re-inspected the tires. The tires on the drivers side are worse now so something will have to be done. The trailer has only gone on two trips and not a really long ways at that. Photos are available. Considering the history of this occurrance I think this should be repaired by Lippert. Comments?
Curious as to what has happened with your tire wear issue on the Augusta?

beardedone

Beardedone
Sorry for the delay in posting but I was at the Alberta Chapter week-end rally. Great time! Anyway, As requested by Heartland officials I took more photos and measurements which I hope to submit tonight. Upon closer examination in better light my situation is similar to others. That relates to bent hangers and the running space between the tires and the running gear. One side is 1/2" closer and that causes rubbing of the tires against the shocks and hangers. If you don't see any wear on your tires you shouldn't have anything to worry about.