Winterizing tips?

Larry77

I think we are done camping this year. I've never owned a trailer before, so I'm looking for tips to winterize.

I plan on parking my M-18 in a carport all winter but I'm not sure if I should "blow-out" all the fluids or use antifreeze. I was also planning on getting a moisture reducer of some sort. My father-in-law says he keeps his heater on low all winter--sounds strange to me.

I live in the northwest and we have a fairly mild winter but we do get some snow/ice at times.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Done Camping:eek:!!?? That's terrible news. We're lucky further south. We'll go into November at least.

I blow out and pump antifreeze. Some will say that is overkill, but I'd rather overkill than underkill. For antifreeze, I put the winterization hose into the antifreeze bottle, turn on the pump, then open each faucet in turn until pink stuff comes out. Don't forget to pour a little anti-freeze down each drain. And don't forget to suck some anti-freeze through the toilet lines by flushing a couple times. Double check - kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower, ouside shower. Drain fresh water tank and HWH tank. Check anode on HWH. Go ahead and buy new one if needed so you don't forget next spring.

I also put a couple of the moisture absorbers in the trailer and replace them halfway through the winter. I leave the refrigerator doors open also. Helps prevent that musty smell (IMHO).

laffman

Unfortunately, we're done this weekend also. My campground where I have my seasonal closes 9/30, so I'm winterizing this weekend. Where did the summer go?

As mentioned, blowout and antifreeze is the best protection. I've done just the blowout before without any problems. I now just let the lines drain out the low-point valves then pump antifreeze in. Don't forget to set your HWH bypass before putting the antifreeze in. Pull the anode rod out of the HWH and leave it out for the winter.

Spray graphite into your door locks to lubricate them. I've had to replace a lock before in the spring because this wasn't done before winter.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I sure feel sorry for all of you folks who can't/don't use your RVs year round. Too bad you cannot move somewhere that you can.

laffman

I sure feel sorry for all of you folks who can't/don't use your RVs year round. Too bad you cannot move somewhere that you can.

Don't rub it in. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do on weekends for the next 6 months.:(

annirroc

Don't forget to set your HWH bypass before putting the antifreeze in. Pull the anode rod out of the HWH and leave it out for the winter.

Looks like we got through our first winterization project okay -- but -- we could absolutely not figure out how to bypass the hot water heater, which meant that the first bottle of antifreeze went in that direction and we consequently needed to do a lot of draining and flushing this spring.

Any idea how to bypass the HWH? Checked the manual cover to cover but it wasn't much help.

Thanks for the tip about the anode rod -- will do for next time. Except -- what in the world is the anode rod and where is it?

Bighurt

Talk about reviving an old thread!

There should be a panel on the unit interior that provides access to the rear of the heater. This is typical installation. Not having your particular unit I'm guessing.

The anode is a big threaded rod per say that is in the water heater itself. To access this you have to do it from the outside. Remove the panel and you will see it near the bottom, looks like a big bolt 1"+ and brass, the anode is attached to it.

Good luck

annirroc

Thanks for the tip -- will do more exploring and try again this winter (which comes way too early in Alberta!). Time to enjoy the summer. :cool:

rick_h

Thanks for the tip -- will do more exploring and try again this winter (which comes way too early in Alberta!). Time to enjoy the summer. :cool:

We have the M18 as well. You can find the bypass Valves in the front storage area there is a panel that covers the back of the water heater with 4 screws. You have to turn 3 valve to winterize. 1 that enters the HW tank. 1 that leaves the HW tank and one in the middle between them.

Wharton

In our previous trailers we have always blown out the lines with a compressor and then poured antifreeze into all the drains. We feel pumping anitfreeze through the system is a faster and better way to go as antifreeze will get into the pump which has always worried us.

How many gallons of antifreeze do we need to pump it throughout the system? We have a BH3670.

lwmcguir

Our Landmark takes two gallons and I usually add another 1/2 gallon to error on the side of safety. Three gallons should do it easily.