Sheared landing gear pins

sidney dreyfus

I brought our BigHorn in for servicing last week. I coudn't believe while in the shop both landing gear pins sheared off. Luckily the pins were in the first hole so our BH only fell about an inch with no apparant damage and the worker servicing our camper was not hurt. How often should these pins on the landing gear be replaced?

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
If you are talking about the pull pins that attach the outer leg to the dolly pad leg, I doubt that they just sheared off while the tech was working on the unit. Sounds more like they dropped it with the legs off the ground.
Did you happen to see if they have a hydraulic 5th wheel on the truck they use to move the trailers?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Larry. A couple of years ago I pulled a bonehead move and bent my pins to the point that they were totally ruined, but no sign of any wear or impending breaks. So Sidney I agree with you "I couldn't believe while in the shop both landing gear pins sheared off".

Peace
Dave

dreamer

I agree with the above posts,but another possiblity could be that the pins were only inserted halfway through . If that was the case there would be twice the normal shear load on the pins and hence the failure.

sidney dreyfus

I can understand everyone's skepticism. It was very hard for me to believe that they both gave way. However I spoke with the technician and he said the pins were all the way in. It was standing in the servicing area. They were in the process of putting supporting jacks in place. It just fell. It was off the truck and standing on it's own.

Bob&Patty-DW

THE BOSS OF THE OUTFIT
No, but fixed alot of them with that same syndrome. Its called "stupid" owners. I did own a few go like heck 18' ski boats though, except I never scattered the engines. Always kept the jet pump or prop in the water. Bob:D

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When you can, take a real close look at the inside tube holes. See if they look damaged or slightly elongated. That might indicate an impact load that sheared the pins. Impact load like it got dropped.

Bob&Patty-DW

THE BOSS OF THE OUTFIT
Did you happen to look inside your Horn and see if the closet pole is still on the walls? 1 of them to break...maybe..........both at the same time..FAT CHANCE. I for one would like to see the pins. My money is on "dropped hard" in the 2nd at Belmont. Bob:D

branson4020

Icantre Member
You been lied to.

I brought our BigHorn in for servicing last week. I coudn't believe while in the shop both landing gear pins sheared off. Luckily the pins were in the first hole so our BH only fell about an inch with no apparant damage and the worker servicing our camper was not hurt. How often should these pins on the landing gear be replaced?

Now, why would the pin be in the first hole? Because they hadn't extended the legs yet. It dropped a heck of a lot further than an inch.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
And take a look at the retainer pins for the feet on the struts. Look for damage to them, as well.

sidney dreyfus

sheared pins

After listening to all you people I have to go back to my original feeling that they didn't handle our BH properly. Hopefully the BH took care of itself and didn't sustain any more damage than a few foot pad spring loaded pins. I asked the service center that dropped our camper to document the accident and give me a letter acknowleding what happened along with a copy of their work order detailing what they did to fix it. I also have arranged for a visual inspection at another service center after I pick up our BH. Heartland customer service has also documented the incident and are willing to do whatever they can if further problems arise. In looking back what more could we have done? They are a certified center with Heartland and I wasn't going to stay in the camper while they serviced it. I guess it could happen to any of us at any time.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Accidents happen. The fault is in the lie. If I were in your position, I wouldn't ever do business with these guys again.