Portable Generator

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Well I finally bit the bullet and bought one. Being a frugal individual (read cheapskate) I opted for a Boliy Pro3600SI. It's supposedly the newest version available. I just happened to be filling an LP tank and I was browsing the store and came across the display. I was pretty impressed with the power to weight ratio. This thing only weighs 68# I researched them for a little while last night and saw a couple negative reviews from a couple years ago. Right out of the box, it was smooth, quiet and I was pleased at that. I removed a couple side panels and all of the problems I had read about seem to have been addressed. Price $1099 at a local RV dealer. www.boliypower.com I guess we'll have to wait & see how it works in the real situations. Maybe I'll get to test it this weekend at Campfest:D.

Tom of Ypsi

Ray,

If you run the genny this weekend come back on and tell us the pro's on cons of this particular one. I am either looking for a genny or putting solar on the coach. Want to do some boondocking, especially in Alaska next year, and cannot make up my mind on which way to go.

Paul_in_MN

This is the same question I was working on 2 weeks ago. I considered the Boliy, but the dealer had no stock, but it could be ordered and bought sight unseen. The weight, 68#, is a real plus, but the dealer catalog had very little supporting data. My highest goal was to get a quiet machine, and the Honda EU3000i comes in at 58 dB (full load, I think). It is the quietest of the Honda series, notably quieter than the EU2000. And a bigger gas tank to give at least a full night of run time, should that be necessary. The dealer thought the Boliy was respectably quiet, but not as quiet as the Honda.

Then the question of dealer support for possible repair or parts....dealer said that Boliy is building a service network (read..."it ain't there yet"). I bought the Honda machine, and paid more $$ than the Boliy, but figured that I am going to use it now and want support now if needed. In the back of the Trailer Life mag are ads for the Honda line with free shipping, no sales tax, and the same 3 year warantee that all dealers will honor. As I was in a hurry to hit the road, I paid a bit more than the ads offered, plus $117 in sales tax, but bought some piece of mind for that trip.

Not that my answer to the problem of "genny" is the right answer for all, but there was a lot of thinking that went into my decision. Best of luck with your decision and new generator, and I'll look forward to your future reports on how it is working for you.

Paul_in_MN

:)

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Well I finally bit the bullet and bought one. Being a frugal individual (read cheapskate) I opted for a Boliy Pro3600SI. It's supposedly the newest version available. I just happened to be filling an LP tank and I was browsing the store and came across the display. I was pretty impressed with the power to weight ratio. This thing only weighs 68# I researched them for a little while last night and saw a couple negative reviews from a couple years ago. Right out of the box, it was smooth, quiet and I was pleased at that. I removed a couple side panels and all of the problems I had read about seem to have been addressed. Price $1099 at a local RV dealer. www.boliypower.com I guess we'll have to wait & see how it works in the real situations. Maybe I'll get to test it this weekend at Campfest:D.

I just bought a Boliy last week... they can be bought on Ebay for $850 oops. I got the extra 2 jets for high alt's, one for 5000' , 7500'. Mine runs a tad rich at 3650'ele. It even runs the HalfTime oven which is like 25 amps. Dosnt hold much oil though. I called China and the Boliy repair center is http://www.xtremegadget.com/info.html I have worked with them and all is ok so far (helps to speak Chinese).

mike3fan

Hey Ray, any update on the Boliy? Would you recommend this genny?

Ray LeTourneau

I ran it for a short test hooked up to the Bighorn with the 30/50 adapter. At first it wouldn't start. That's when I remembered the vent on the fuel cap.:eek:
It handled the main a/c without issue. Once the a/c was up and running I tried the microwave and it pulled pretty hard but worked. I think if I were to try to start the a/c with the microwave running, it wouldn't handle it. I didn't try. It seems to work well and it's very quiet. Another positive point is the weight. Only about 65# and pretty easy to move around. I want to fine a cable lock with an audible alarm just in case. Overall for me, two thumbs up.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Mine seems to be working ok now, took a long time to get the air out of the fuel system. I ran the HalfTime oven and the AC (13.5btu's) at the same time which was unreal. I bought mine through Ebay for $850 but the seller gave me grief x 2.

Uncle Rog

Ray, westxsr, keep us up to date on those boliy's, for the $ and the weight consideration they seem like the hot ticket

wdk450

Something I read about

I think it was on this forum that people were reporting that unleaded gas with ethanol added (which is at a lot of pumps) has been putting gremlins into people's small engines (read generators). People were using additives to neutralize the ethanol in these motors, or having to rework the carbs when they got fouled up.

lwmcguir

Has anyone had any experience with this generator? Like to go with a Diesel to get longer run time and should have a lot less issues with the fuel. I have been there, done that, as far as the Carbs go, especially with Tecumseh Engines.

RV QD 3200

Uncle Rog

OK guys, my season is just starting what is the verdict?
I like economical and light, not cheap................
Over..............

lwmcguir

Does anyone have a Diesel Inverter Generator mounted in the Gen Compartment? Curious as to any vibration issues.

PSF513

My daughter purchased a Boliy for her 5th wheel and used it this weekend in our rain event. It never missed a beat and powered everything beautifully.

The only caution I would add to the above notes about generators is to be sure you use one that generates very clean power so you do not damage circuit boards and the like. I have an 8 KW gen set at home but would not consider using on my BC.

Ray LeTourneau

OK guys, my season is just starting what is the verdict?
I like economical and light, not cheap................
Over..............
I'm like UncleRog, I like economical too. It really comes down to how much you want to spend, how often a genny will be needed and where you are willing to carry it. For me the Boliy is perfect. Cheap, lightweight, enough clean power and it seems to be dependable so far. Just my honest opinion.;)

Uncle Rog

Thanks Ray, that is what I have been waiting for. My Yamaha is a great piece of equipment it just weighs 150#'s. We are getting ready to head out for a two week outing with zero hook ups. I will look into the Boliy when we get back. I already have three units so I might just sell one first............

Northern Virginia
My daughter purchased a Boliy for her 5th wheel and used it this weekend in our rain event. It never missed a beat and powered everything beautifully.

The only caution I would add to the above notes about generators is to be sure you use one that generates very clean power so you do not damage circuit boards and the like. I have an 8 KW gen set at home but would not consider using on my BC.

Can someone explain how inverter generators are better than regular gensets in regard to power quality?

I thought inverter generators we primarily for small generators that had a harder time keeping frequency to 60 Hz (due to the inherent difficulty of a small engine maintaining engine speed with a variable load). The inverter process allow the generator to run at low speed under light load thus conserving fuel and noise. Power quality remains the same.

Any gasoline generator will produce a "pure sine wave". The problem with small generators is frequency or hertz. Most of today's electronics are much more forgiving to variable frequency and are designed to operate at a range of hertz between 50-60 Hz. My laptop, for example, requires power from 100-240 volts at 50-60 Hz.

I am inclined to think the inverter fascination is more of a marketing gimmick for small generator manufacturers.

My 6500 watt Onan (non inverter) came out of a satellite truck filled with sophisticated electronics. I haven't figured out why people think they are getting superior electricity from these inverter type generators. You are getting a genset that will conserve fuel and run quieter under light load but am unaware that they somehow provide "cleaner" power.

BTW, your local utility supplies non-inverter power. Unless you are NASA, IBM or Microsoft, it seems like regular generator power is more than adequate for consumer electronics. The only benefit I was aware of are fuel savings and minimized noise on a lightly loaded small generator.

Is there more?

jbeletti

newbie,

It's all about the AC power waveform - be it a pure sine wave (sinusoidal) or a modified (square-ish) sine wave and what gear can work well with each.

Here's a link to an FAQ that better explains when PSW over MSW is best.

Jim