Up on the Rooffffffff

Bobby A

Was cleaning the roof today and was wondering what is that stuf that comes out of the A/C unit that sticks to the rubber roof and won't come off. I have had two other 5th wheels and they didnt seem to have as much of that stuf forming on the roof. Is this normal ?? Its the Dometic 15K A/C unit. Just wondering if everyone has this greenish like crud that bonds itself into the white rubber roof. Thanks

imchud

Wow..... Sorry dude:eek:, I was just up on my roof this weekend to give it a good washdown, it was very dirty but no green goo...

Tommy

Bob&Patty-DW

THE BOSS OF THE OUTFIT
Bobby, I dont know if dometic uses a green dye in there freon...............but if they do, maybe that is what you are seeing. Might have a slight leak. Just a guess. Bob:confused:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I noticed a run-off stain on my roof that came from the A/C. And we've run ours maybe two or three days all summer. Has more of a yellowish cast to it. Could be rust, can't tell where it came from under the unit.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
When my Dometic A/C failed this spring, there was a "green" goo around the unit where the compressor had leaked out all of the fluid.

At least that is what Dave, the service tech at Chesapeake RV Solutions told me. I never actually saw the stuff cuz I don't care what Heartland claims, I ain't gettin this fat body up on the roof. I'd be afraid of falling through or causing leaks even with all of Heartland's claims to the contrary. :D I'm just not willing to take that chance.

Anyway, JonDar, if that green stuff is the same as mine, Dometic had to replace the whole a/c unit.

Keith

shaneandtammymoore

Shane & Tammy
I have the green tinted runoff on my roof. I wouldnt call my goo though. It has just stained the roof a little. Mine is a 2006 model and I have never noticed any problems to come from it. Just my 2 cents.

timdebs

Pictures of green stuff on roof

Is this what you are seeing on your roof? I just picked my Pinehurst up from service tech yesterday for another problem with a/c (the compressor was cycling on and off making a loud hummmm with the a/c turned off). He had to replace the control board in a/c. I asked him about the green stuff on the roof and he said it was from the a/c bottom tray, where water sits and then drains off. He assured me my a/c and compressor were fine. I did take pictures (just in case).

Attachments

• roof3.jpg
    roof3.jpg
    459.6 KB · Views: 122
  • roof4.jpg
    roof4.jpg
    554.5 KB · Views: 101
  • roof5.jpg
    roof5.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 91
  • roof6.jpg
    roof6.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 85
  • roof7.jpg
    roof7.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 83

JohnDar

Tim, yep, that's what mine looks like, just not quite as pronounced. It's a stain, not a goo or oily. The tech I had on the roof resealing the seams wasn't concerned about it.

timdebs

I hope Keith sees the pictures since his a/c had to be replaced, just to see if that is how his roof looked. My a/c is running fine now, but... still do not like the stain, and find it hard to believe that Dometic can not make, paint or what ever a tray that will not do that knowing water is going to get in there.

jpjulian

Just slightly off-topic, but how clean is clean enough before the rubber roof treatment is applied? We cleaned ours off last weekend but ran out of cleaner with a few feet not cleaned very well.

Joe

JohnDar

Just slightly off-topic, but how clean is clean enough before the rubber roof treatment is applied? We cleaned ours off last weekend but ran out of cleaner with a few feet not cleaned very well.

Joe

Don't know about the rubber roof treatment, but before I had the seams resealed with Dicor Sealant a couple of weeks ago, I got up there with a hose, soft car wash brush, and a bucket with some plain Dawn dishwashing liquid & water. Roof was pretty nasty from being under trees all summer, but it came clean with little effort. You probably don't need to get a special cleaner to finish the job.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I use dawn as well and does a good job. I really dont think that the roof will ever come white-white clean after a few years of weather. Bob:D

Bobby A

Is this what you are seeing on your roof? I just picked my Pinehurst up from service tech yesterday for another problem with a/c (the compressor was cycling on and off making a loud hummmm with the a/c turned off). He had to replace the control board in a/c. I asked him about the green stuff on the roof and he said it was from the a/c bottom tray, where water sits and then drains off. He assured me my a/c and compressor were fine. I did take pictures (just in case).

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this topic, and thanks for the pics timdebs, yes, that is exactly what mine looks like. I guess I miss spoke in my 1st post, its not a goo, but kinda looks like sometype of oil ?? Not sure, My unit is a 2010 has has been used alot since May. It seems to be performing adequatly after doing the Tim K mod. Just wondering if it is something I should be conserned about. I welcome more input, thanks again everyone. Bobby A

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I hope Keith sees the pictures since his a/c had to be replaced, just to see if that is how his roof looked. My a/c is running fine now, but... still do not like the stain, and find it hard to believe that Dometic can not make, paint or what ever a tray that will not do that knowing water is going to get in there.

Thanks timdebs. Not sure what mine looked like, cuz I never got up there to look. I just repeated what the service rep told me. Guess from the other posts, it's not something to be overly concerned about....but that stain sure is ugly!!!!!!!:eek:

timdebs

Yep, I have not tried cleaning yet, maybe we can have a contest at the rally next weekend to see who can get clean it best. Could make it like Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn having fun white washing the fence.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Yep, I have not tried cleaning yet, maybe we can have a contest at the rally next weekend to see who can get clean it best. Could make it like Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn having fun white washing the fence.

Count me out! I only climb up there when it is absolutely necessary:eek:. (Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our has looked that way from day 1. I think the problem must be water sits in the tray and slims up before it drains off. It is impossible to remove without sandblasting which I would not do. I did get our roof "treated" which made it look like new white and clean. No some of the 'treatment' is peeling. I am to a point where I will not waste my money treating it again and just keep it washed and clean. The he.. with the stains.

timdebs

I am glad you told me that, you just saved me a lot of work and sweat (not to mention $) for nothing. Out of sight, out of mind. What stain?