RV Insurance

alicia

Hey there Heartland Owners - we have been compairing insurance rates and have found lower cost insurance for our 2009 Bighorn 5th Wheel. We have been with State Farm for 35 years and are happy with their service. However they seem to be quite high on the coverage of our 5th wheel that sits in secure storage for 48 weeks a year. We have checked rates and have found that Hartford (AARP) is somewhat cheaper, Progressive is about the same as State Farm and GMAC is about a third the cost of State Farm. Does anyone have any experience with GMAC, either pro or con regarding claims, coverages etc. Thanks for your help, Alicia

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hey there Heartland Owners - we have been compairing insurance rates and have found lower cost insurance for our 2009 Bighorn 5th Wheel. We have been with State Farm for 35 years and are happy with their service. However they seem to be quite high on the coverage of our 5th wheel that sits in secure storage for 48 weeks a year. We have checked rates and have found that Hartford (AARP) is somewhat cheaper, Progressive is about the same as State Farm and GMAC is about a third the cost of State Farm. Does anyone have any experience with GMAC, either pro or con regarding claims, coverages etc. Thanks for your help, Alicia

Unless they offer the option of starting/stopping road hazard and collision coverage when you want because your rig is parked long term or in storage, look for another insurer. We have Foremost Insurance on ours, no problem getting a claim paid for even when I didn't notify them until after I had the repairs done. I like State Farm and have been with them since 1966, but their RV coverage is like a car policy...full time.

Northern Virginia
I have my truck and camper insured with State Farm. I told my agent I wanted to make sure my 5th wheel policy covered the camper while in storage or sitting in my driveway; so if a tree fell on it, there was a fire or vandals, etc., I would have full coverage up to replacement value of the unit. For me , full time coverage is important.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Alicia, As full timers we have insurance with Progressive. It's insured very similar to a house with the addition of full replacement coverage for the first 5 yrs and full payment refund for the next 5. And disappearing deductibles Cost per year is $560.

jpmorgan37

We've been with GMAC for six years now and are very happy with them. We left State Farm because of major rate differences. We have car, truck and RV insured with them, including fulltimer coverage. I've had several claims with them and they were handled quickly and to my satisfaction. I periodically check rates with other companies and have yet to find equal coverage at a better rate. That's just my experience.

John

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Glad we had this little discussion. I almost forgot to reinstate my road hazard/collision coverage before hauling our 3670 back home next week. Only takes a fax to do it.