Main slide problem on a Sundance

Dogs-Life

Hi,

We just purchased a new Sundance trailer from Larry's RV in Jackson, MI and my son is getting the fun of doing the initial break-in cruise. He, his wife and 3 year old are on the way to California. They just called from Colorado and are having a problem with the main slide. The motor runs, but does not move the slide. The hand crank brought the slide back in and they are on the road again, heading toward Grand Junction CO. Before we purchased the trailer it had the same problem and the dealer said that they had to tighten the bolts around the electric slide motor.

Since it is a Sunday, it is impossible to contact a local dealer. My son plans to stop for the night near Grand Junction and to see if he can fix the problem (we are hoping it is just a loose bolt again), and if not to contact a local rv dealer to help.

I tried to locate a dealer using the Heartland dealer locator, but it just says that an incorrect zip code is entered and does not allow for any zip code entry. Also, I do not know the local zip codes for CO.

Can anyone help me with determining the problem (we are hoping for just a loose bolt), giving advice on how best to fix it (apparently just tightening it isn't a good fix), and help us determine how to find Heartland dealers as we travel? I would like to have a list of dealers available on the web site that can be downloaded.

Bye the way, we like the trailer and are extremely happy with our dealer here in Michigan. We are new to fifth wheels and electric slides, but I'm sure we'll learn more over the years.

Thanks,

dogs-life

Last edited:

jbeletti

dogs-life,

Doing a Google search, looks like Valley Camper in Longmont, CO north of Denver/Boulder carries the Bighorn line. I'll bet they could help you. Most any RV dealer can probably work it out for you too. They just need to contact the factory for authorization before doing anything on it.

Valley Camper
3690 Stagecoach Dr., Longmont, CO
303-772-2010

Good luck.

Jim

Dogs-Life

Main Slide

Thanks,

I believe that they are beyond the Boulder/Denver area now, so they will probably try the local RV dealers around Grand Junction. It's been a while since I was in Colorado, so I may have my directions backward, but my son was questioning Grand Junction or Las Vegas as the other alternative. Sounds like a local RV dealer may be the best choice.

salmon919

Dogs-life, we had the same problem on our old 5th wheel. There is a nut on the end of the screw drive that takes the slide in and out. Sometimes the nut works its self loose and therefore the slide will not go in and out. Have your son look at that nut. It is located on the outside under the slide. It looks tight and acts tight but it is not and will allow the screw drive to move and nothing will happen. Just a thought.

Dogs-Life

Main slide

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been away from the computer for a while, but finally got back and saw your reply. As it runs out, the gears that the electric motor drives were broken. The full story is very interesting and demonstrates how well things can come together when you purchase a rig from a good dealer and buy the unit from a good manufacturer.

After my son found that the gears were ruined, we called our local dealer in Michigan; he called the Heartland Company and located a Heartland dealer in California, near my son's campground. Working together, Heartland agreed to over-night the part, our local dealer in Michigan, agreed to pay for the shipment and the California dealer agreed to service the unit the next day. There were some slight wrinkles (the part arrived a day late), but my son is continuing his vacation with a slide that works and the California service department went the extra distance of finding the cause for the break and fixing that also.

I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law in that things will fail, but it sure helps when you have a good support organization to get you back on the road. If anyone is looking for a good dealer or a supportive manufacturer, I highly recommend:

Larry's RV in Jackson, MI - without them organizing the entire effort and pushing to get results, the repair would not have happened. I'm glad I brought the unit from them.

RichardsonRV in Sun City, California - I have never met these people, but judging from my son's comments and my experience, I would highly recommend them.

Heartland Corporation - Our dealer described them as a good company to deal with and I will agree.

Thanks to all.

Dogs-life

jbeletti

Dog's-Life,

Thanks for getting back with the forum on the outcome of your trailer's issue. That the system worked as it should is a great thing. Sounds like your son is really giving your trailer a great shake-down for you.

Jim

Dogs-Life

My son called last night and the shake-down trip is going great. He said the only problem now is that his wife loves the Sundance and doesn't want to go back to the pop-up. :)

My three year old grandson says he loves my trailer. Can't wait until I get a chance to drive it!!! We only had the truck and trailer for a couple of weeks before they took off. Just time enough to get a few miles on the truck before it went into "tow mode".

You can get the zip codes for Colorado by searching for what else? "Colorado Zip Codes on the net"
Hi,

We just purchased a new Sundance trailer from Larry's RV in Jackson, MI and my son is getting the fun of doing the initial break-in cruise. He, his wife and 3 year old are on the way to California. They just called from Colorado and are having a problem with the main slide. The motor runs, but does not move the slide. The hand crank brought the slide back in and they are on the road again, heading toward Grand Junction CO. Before we purchased the trailer it had the same problem and the dealer said that they had to tighten the bolts around the electric slide motor.

Since it is a Sunday, it is impossible to contact a local dealer. My son plans to stop for the night near Grand Junction and to see if he can fix the problem (we are hoping it is just a loose bolt again), and if not to contact a local rv dealer to help.

I tried to locate a dealer using the Heartland dealer locator, but it just says that an incorrect zip code is entered and does not allow for any zip code entry. Also, I do not know the local zip codes for CO.

Can anyone help me with determining the problem (we are hoping for just a loose bolt), giving advice on how best to fix it (apparently just tightening it isn't a good fix), and help us determine how to find Heartland dealers as we travel? I would like to have a list of dealers available on the web site that can be downloaded.

Bye the way, we like the trailer and are extremely happy with our dealer here in Michigan. We are new to fifth wheels and electric slides, but I'm sure we'll learn more over the years.

Thanks,

dogs-life