GVW vs. axels

D and J

My GVW states 14000 lbs but my axels say 6000 lbs each which equals only 12000 lbs.

Are these axels up to the 14000 lbs weight?

What is the actual carrying capacity of the frame?

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
D and J,

On a 5th Wheel trailer 15 to 20% of the trailer weight is on the Pin. The rest is on the axles, for example I have a Big Horn that I weighed, the total trailer weight was 14,000 lbs. 11,400 lbs was on the axles and the weight on the pin was 2,600 lbs.

"What is the actual carrying capacity of the frame?"

It would be best to contact Heartland or Lippert to answer what is the carry capacity of the frame.

D and J

We have a 3/4 ton .. 2500 GMC Durmax. I thought our max carrying cap. of truck was around 1600 lbs. Sounds like we would have to much weight in the bed of truck. We were considering air-bags but don't know if that would help with the weight carrying cap. of the truck.... any thoughts....

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
D & J, I don't think you will be able to add to what the sticker of your truck says. The air bags will help level your truck and trailer but you can't change what the manufacturer rates your truck at.

lwmcguir

We have a 3/4 ton .. 2500 GMC Durmax. I thought our max carrying cap. of truck was around 1600 lbs. Sounds like we would have to much weight in the bed of truck. We were considering air-bags but don't know if that would help with the weight carrying cap. of the truck.... any thoughts....
Check your sticker on the truck for the max weight. Run it across the scales. Subtract the loaded weight and you have what you can safely put on the trailer hitch and stay leagal. The air bags as the other post stated just help level the truck and provide a better ride if adjusted properly.