On-board air compressors

beardedone

Beardedone
I have a 08 3500 DRW with air bags that I use to tow my Landmark. At the present time I am using a cheap 12 volt compressor to inflate my air bags. I keep it under the back seat until I need it. I am starting to think about an on-board system that can be controlled from the cab that allows me to inflate and adjust air pressure while on the go. Has anyone got advice on this, what is the cost and your recommendations. Thanks in advance.

ChopperBill

I have the on board compressor on my Cheby. Mounted to the frame just a couple of feet ahead of the rear axle. Its been on there for 4-5 years and has worked flawlessly. No leaks ever. (knocking on wood) Dont remember what I paid for it but it has been worth every penny. Got the most use when I had the truck camper but it still comes in handy with the BH.

porthole

Retired
I am using this kit

http://www.amazon.com/72000-Wireless-Air-Leveling-Compressor/dp/B001OMVCN2

Got it from http://www.kennedydiesel.com/

Works great. Two memory set points. I use 5 psi for unloaded and 75 psi for when the 5th wheel is hooked up.

Pressure is maintained at your set pressure, bags heat up - pressure bleeds off. Bags cool down - pump kicks in.

Very happy with mine and it is great for on the fly adjustments.

You can set 4 zones, 2 rear - 2 front. I originally was going to use a Trail-air pin box and was going to plumb the "front zone" to the pin box for on the road adjustments.

Sparkie

I have the Firestone Dual Air Command II with the auxiliary air tank and hose. You can pump up each air bag seperately although I travel with both set the same at 50 psi usuallly. It is nice to be able to change the air pressure on the fly if the road condition dictates it. I have a steep driveway and I let the air out coming and going so I don't drag the rear of the trailer and then pump the air bags up to travel. I can't imagine not having onboard controls. I wouldn't recommend the auxiliay tank - Iv'e never used mine in 3 years.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I've got the Viair compressor and 2 lb. tank that is mounted in my V-Box tool box on the back of my truck bed. I bought a train air horn from Air Horns of Texas and this powers the horn as well as supplying air to my air bags and with a hose, add air to mytires as needed.

The air horn is necessary for "attitude adjustment" for those knuckleheads that pull out in front of me. Its a great way to wake them up.

porthole

Retired
When you do the bags you will want to keep left and right separate.

Keeps the "waterfall effect" in check (around turns bags connected will tend try to equalize compounding a shift in the truck