hotwater

rdavidson

I have a 2009 31QBS, My hotwater heater does not cycle on and off during usage. It works when you first turn it on. It heats the water then shuts down as advertised, but when you use hot water and it refills it won't turn it's self back on. You have to turn it off then back on and then it will work, until then next it is supposed to reheat the water.
It is kind of a pain trying to preplan hot water usage 20 minutes ahead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

jimtoo

Hi rdavidson,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here, with lots of information.

I did move your thread and question to the maintenance area, instead of the HOOT section. I think you will get more answers to your question here.

Enjoy the forum.
Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have a 2009 31QBS, My hotwater heater does not cycle on and off during usage. It works when you first turn it on. It heats the water then shuts down as advertised, but when you use hot water and it refills it won't turn it's self back on. You have to turn it off then back on and then it will work, until then next it is supposed to reheat the water.
It is kind of a pain trying to preplan hot water usage 20 minutes ahead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Are you running it on electric or propane (or both)? Try switching heat sources and see if the problem persists. Most likely it's the controller circuit board that is taped to the back of the water heater. Our experience with a previous TT was the adhesive holding the board to the back of the WH losing it and the connector coming loose. I had to retape the controller on our 3670 before I got it out on the road because the adhesive strip fell off. There really isn't much technology to these water heaters besides that board.

rdavidson

It's not a dual heater it is only propane. I will look at at that. I tried asking a local deal's Tech. His answer was bring it in I can fix it. I am a aircraft mechanic for 26 years. I just need a starting point.
Thanks for the suggestion!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It's not a dual heater it is only propane. I will look at at that. I tried asking a local deal's Tech. His answer was bring it in I can fix it. I am a aircraft mechanic for 26 years. I just need a starting point.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Shows how little I know. I thought all of the HL water heaters were dual source. Even our previous SOB TT was dual source.

SWEET74

Oh wait, I am one.

Let me know the following:
DC voltage (actual voltage, it is never 12.0)
Gas pressure at W/H valve (measured with Manometer)
The first thing I would do is a complete service, compressed air works best. Clean the tube, igniter probe, and burner ***'y. Next check the condition of the wiring at the gas valve, being exposed to the elements they are subject to corrosion. Take the black (upper) cover off of the ECO / TSTAT and check those wires. On the back of the water heater check the connections at the circuit board. Check the igniter wire where it passes through the housing of the W/H.
If the water heater is not lighting, it is probably one of the issues above. If it is not trying to light it is a TSTAT issue.
Are you sure it is not also 110V also? If the model number ends in "E" it is. Gas only Suburban water heaters are rare.