Converting Duramax 2500HD to a Dually

JWG

Has anyone converted a 2500HD, CC, 4x4, short bed into a dually? I would like the increased pin weight and stability without having to buy a new truck... Is this possible at a "reasonable" cost?

jimtoo

I know you can buy offset rims, fender flares, air bags, heavier springs, but that does not increase your legal weight rating. You bought a 2500HD, CC, 4x4, not a 3500 series.

2010augusta

The conversion is really easy!

Step 1: Drive truck to nearest dealer (preferably Ford, but GM or Dodge will do in a pinch)
Step 2: Hand in the keys and the kids college fund and most of the IRA.
Step 3: Drive home in new Dually
Step 4: Drive self to hospital after wife finds out what you did.

Hope this helps you through the conversion process;)

FLOYD PHILBROOK

Nevada Chapter Leader
converting 2500

I did the conversion on a 2003 2500 hd. I got all my parts in a kit from dynamicdually.com. It cost around $2500 fror the kit. It included fenders,4 alcoa wheels,2 steel wheel,front and rear spacers, lug nuts and all bolt needed, it looked factory when done and painted. It does not raise your gvw, but gives you more stability. Floyd philbrook

Sundance_kid

I'd look at air bags or Timbrens, they will stabilize also for under $500.... JMHO You can put extra tires under your truck, but just takes away from the amount of weight you can carry.

JWG

Thanks everyone for the responses...

Still LOL Alan... That is exactly what I was trying to avoid... You must know my wife...

I already have the airbags, and they work very well at leveling the load... However, I have read in some posts that the difference between the 2500 and the 3500 is one additional leaf spring (adds about 1000 pounds to the GVW), and the added pin weight you can carry... Everything else is basically the same between the two trucks... Am i right about this?

I'm OK with the overall weights right now, but I was hoping to gain the additional pin weight and stability the DRW provides... Mostly the stability and peace of mind...

todalake

My truck came with 245 tires and BIL had 265 tires on his 3500. I think the 265 has about 400# higher capacity.

smedley

converting to a dually

Hi Go on line to Rickson wheels & look at 19.5" steel wheels with a G or H rating. Read there information & testimonials. Very interesting.

JWG

Thanks smedley, I would never have thought of commercial grade wheels and tires as a solution to my stability concerns... I'm re-thinking everything now...