3055RL and batteries...

airedale

has anyone changed to 2 6 volt batteries and if so, anything special have to be done such as a different batt box and a larger ventbox.....its a 2010 model and is having a 5500 genny installed in case that makes a difference.....any hints or ideas greatly welcome.....in advance, tnks.....

jimtoo

Hi airedale,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here, with all kinds of information and mods they have made.

I have moved your post to a better area for your question to be answered I think. Someone will jump in here and give you an answer soon.

Enjoy the forum and try to attend some of the rallies where you will meet other Heartland owners.

Jim M

5erWonk

I added 2 - 6 volt golf cart batteries in the front compartment. These are in addition to the 2 - 12 volt batteries I had originally.

I added no special venting since the front compartment is pretty open. I did add a shore switch so I can switch between banks of 2x12 and 2x6.

We can go four days dry camping without running out of power, however we conserve the electricity.

When the 12 volt batteries go I will replace with 2 - 6volt.

jackg

I have replaced the 12 v battery where the hydralic pump is with 2 6 volts....needed a little bit bigger base but they fit fine. I then put 4 more 6 volts in the front compartment in battery boxes and installed a pure sign wave inverter to power provide more power when unplugged. It all works just great!

airedale

batteries

thanks for the replies everyone.....will be picking the unit up in a couple of weeks so will probably wait to see how much room is left beside the genny......factory was nice enough to install a battery disconnect for me....had one in the cyclone and found it to be invaluable....think it may become std. equip. on the 2011's......cheers all.......pete

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Go to a good Marine (boat) store. This what I use.

Battery Boxes for Golf Cart, 4D and 8D Batteries

Mfr. Bonar Plastics

• Direct restraint system - The easiest installation of any battery box
  • Straight path for cable entry with no awkward bends
  • Boxes are provided with an electrolyte reservoir to contain and keep battery away from spilled electrolyte
  • When properly installed satisfies U.S. Coast Guard regulations and American Boat and Yacht Council Standards recommendations
  • Polyethylene
http://www.google.com/bookmarks/mar...4861:plastics:21335F:8, 1994:straps:21335F:2]

ChopperBill

We have 4 six volts in a heavy duty box that I bought from Lowes. Put in the vent and it has worked out great. Cost for the box was about $20 and it is built better that the two separate ones I replaced it with when we went with four batteries.
313359676.jpg