Extra shelf in kitchen for bread and buns

2010augusta

I (being 6'4") used to toss the bread and buns on top of the kitchen cabinets, so it would not get smashed, but my wife could not reach them most of the time and we forgot about couple buns for about 6 weeks, so they turned very green and fuzzy. I decided it was time to add a better space for the bread and buns. We realized that there was about 7' of space above the appliances on the "bar", so off the Home Depot for a "prefinished" cherry storage shelf and a few L brackets, and now we have a nice cubby for soft bakery and anything else we don't want in the main food cabinet.

Attachments

• DSCN8345.JPG
    DSCN8345.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 415
  • DSCN8346.JPG
    DSCN8346.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 360

2010augusta

Alan.. What happened to your Refer?? Looks like it was hit by the magnet blaster..

We have collected magnet from all the parks and museums we have gone to in the last year and a half, So we now have over 200 magnets on the refer. here is a better picture from a couple months ago, we have been to about 15 more parks since then.

Attachments

• DSCN4415 (Large).JPG
    DSCN4415 (Large).JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 206

jimtoo

You guys must be iron deficient in your blood stream or else YOU would be stuck to the refrigerator with all those magnets. :D

Another thing,,, if you removed all the weight of the magnets... you might get better fuel mileage by not having to tow so much...:D

Have a good winter in the North land.

Jim M

kkamshop

Alan, we have the board and everything to do the same shelf - I just wish Heartland had hung those cabinets 6 inches lower as I am in the vertically challenged catagory.

We are going to put ours in a couple of inches lower than yours and I was thinking of using it the same way, buns, chips, paper plates...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hey, wait just a minute here. I always thought stainless steel wasn't magnetic.:eek: NICE WORK ALAN!!:D

Not so. 400 series with a high chromium content can have magnetic properties. 300 series, with less chromium do not. 400 series stainless is used a lot for decorative trim, etc., because of it's color. 300 series tends to have a yellowish cast and is used more for industrial purposes. Been a long while, but once upon a time, I dabbled in metallurgy.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Alan, DW likes the shelf, I guess I have another project. I only see 3 "L" brackets, is there a 4th on the left side I can't see, or is there another type of brace used on that end?

2010augusta

Alan, DW likes the shelf, I guess I have another project. I only see 3 "L" brackets, is there a 4th on the left side I can't see, or is there another type of brace used on that end?

No brace on the left end because it is about an inch short and no stud there. the other three brackets are mounted into the studs, so I figure that 3 bracket are enough to hold a shelf and some bread.

As a side note the wall studs are only 1" wide and they are on 16" centers.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Thanks Alan, I now have a project to add to the list.... lets see it's number ........ that she wants done, but I have a couple I want to do also.

rick_debbie_gallant

No brace on the left end because it is about an inch short and no stud there. the other three brackets are mounted into the studs, so I figure that 3 bracket are enough to hold a shelf and some bread.

As a side note the wall studs are only 1" wide and they are on 16" centers.

for balance sake put in a fake one.

just screw it to the shelf.:D