My wife wants dimmers

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
My lovely bride likes to read before she goes to bed. I myself want to just sleep. She would like to have some kind of a dimmer on her light. I have looked for a 12 volt dimmer switch that maybe I could replace the switch already in the light but have not found one. Has anybody else looked into this? Are we the only ones that think these lights are too bright? The only issue that I would have with a dimmer is that the bulbs would "sing" on the lower settings just like the bulbs in a ceiling fan with a dimmer. So maybe the fact that I cannot find a 12 volt dimmer may be a blessing in diguise. What do you all think?

We also feel the same about the lights in the commode room. I have removed one of the bulbs and it helps a bit but would like it to be a little less bright.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I had the same issue with my wife, and I agree the std lights above the bed are too bright. I changed the lamps with LED lamps. Do a search on LED lights and you will find a number of replacement lamps. The great thing about this type of light is that they are very energy saving and are cool to the touch. I also replaced the bathroom lights with LED and makes a nice night light. One lamp is only about 5 dollars, lot less then a dimmer and rewiring costs.

BluegrassMan

Dimmers

Hi All:

Is it the lights "singing" or is it the fan motor humming when the voltage is reduced ? Just wondering, I've heard that it takes a different kind of dimmer to get the humming out. Don't know for sure.:cool: