Aiming Antenna

hddcyclone

This is my first post, first question, first Cyclone, and first RV for that matter... I'm in North Dakota on the job right now and trying to find some stations with my antenna, i'll find 5 or 6 clear ones, but then the next day they are all gone. Does anyone have any tricks on where to aim the antenna to pickup the best coverage?

Rigmover06

Antennae

I found fighting with the OTA signals a nightmare at best. For my .02 worth a Sat dish works way better and less hassle in the long run.

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
First Congratulations on the new Cyclone and welcome to the forum. Only 1 thing come to mind make sure your power is on to the antenna . A button need to be push in which a light will come on when it's on.

tmcran

Amen on the power antenna. I have run the search feature and sometimes it get all the stations back on.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Congrats on the Cyclone! I've heard about those things...:D :D

I'm up in NE Nebraska right now. I use my SAT dish mostly, but when I want to watch local TV through the antenna, I've noticed the channels definitely work better at night! I only get limited reception in the mornings and most of the daytime, but come night fall... Maybe that's how things work when in the middle of nowhere! Actually, I was surprised I had any reception at all - considering the location I am!

hddcyclone

Thanks for the input, I'll try to aim the antenna per that websites suggestions. If not, the VGA cable from the computer works pretty well to watch shows online.

jimtoo

If you want my opinion, and even if you don't, I am going to type it out. I think this over the air HD TV is for the birds. We live about 90 miles from San Antonio, about 60 miles from Corpus Christi, Tx (65-70 to tv towers), and can get almost nothing over the air any more. It is not often we want to watch over the air channels as we have Direct TV and San Antonio locals, but would like to watch Corpus Christi news and weather reports (hurricanes and storms). But, no, we cannot get them. Bought one of the fancy multi bow tie HD antennas and it is not as good as the old antenna, a 20 year old radio shack long distance. Now if they would come in and make the stations install repeaters every 40 miles out it might help, since they cut their range in half or less. From what I read HD has range of only 70 miles max with line of sight. Needless to say I am unhappy with HD TV. :( I don't see that much difference anyway.:(

My nickel's worth.:D

Jim M

porthole

Retired
At least with analog you could spin the antenna until you found the strongest signal, then let the TV do a search. Not having analog anymore makes it very difficult to find that "first channel"

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I hate it when you finally get a channel tuned in and then it cuts in and out while you are watching a show. I personally think somebody paid off the FCC.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I am going to jump on this band wagon. I too have been frustrated with the poor quality if Digital Television. I have also spent the time to fine tune the antenna only to have the signal lost half way through a good show. I have also experienced having channels available at night then in the morning they are gone. More frustration and more bad words. I was just happy as could be with analog and wish they's never changed. Starting to make me think that the big cable guy and the big satellite guy did pay off the government to make the digital switch. People can say all they want about the quality of digital but if you can't get a reliable signal were's the quality in that?

Done venting and thank you for listening,
Mark

davelinde

Starting to make me think that the big cable guy and the big satellite guy did pay off the government to make the digital switch. People can say all they want about the quality of digital but if you can't get a reliable signal were's the quality in that?

Done venting and thank you for listening,

No speculation is required. The wireless service providers paid the FCC as matter of public record. The frequencies in use for analog TV were sold at an auction.

btw - even being close to major metro areas (I've used OTA-DTV in NYC and Orlando markets) I agree it is far too unreliable to be considered a success. For sure cable and satellite providers benefit. Then again, it was the poor quality of OTA-analog that made the cable market viable to start and the embedded coax plant is now offering very good Internet access to consumers (motivating the telcos to do the same)... so maybe it's not all bad in the scheme of things?

SmokeyBare

Anyone remember using a Rotor to turn and adjust the Antenna on your "Sticks&Bricks" ?? I sure do... attempting to fine tune the signal to reduce the snow and fading signal.

Well thanks to who ever invented the remote... Bless him/her... and thanks to the oh so sensitive digital signals...

Winegard has come out with a perfect addition to our RV Lifestyle... IN Fact Ladies !! A perfect idea for your Loving Husband on Christmas... << Sly Grin >> With a little careful installation that troubling over the Air Digital Signal can be "Fine Tuned" with the touch of a few buttons...

http://winegard.com/mobile/ma1000w.php

Might be a just reward for the DH... who worked so hard finding that darn Melon Baller... :D

Marv

Winegard has come out with a perfect addition to our RV Lifestyle... IN Fact Ladies !! A perfect idea for your Loving Husband on Christmas... << Sly Grin >> With a little careful installation that troubling over the Air Digital Signal can be "Fine Tuned" with the touch of a few buttons...

Winegard has just made it much less work to not find any channels.

jbeletti

I have one of them Marv. They are great. Nancy can now raise/lower the over-the-air antenna at the push of a button. And rotate it the same way - by push button.

SmokeyBare

Good report Jim,

Maybe it will become an option for some of Heartland's RV's. It may be a little costly... but to be able to fine tune the Antenna by moving it back and forth while switching stations has to be a real help. It would be far more problem running the wires after the coach are built.

Marv

jbeletti

...Maybe it will become an option for some of Heartland's RV's. It may be a little costly...

I wish Marv but I don't think we use Winegard antennas anymore. Antennatek now I believe. Now, if someone was ordering a unit, they "may" be able to specify this antenna and pay the significant difference. It's worth asking the dealer when ordering, if one really wants it.

Jim

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I have one of them Marv. They are great. Nancy can now raise/lower the over-the-air antenna at the push of a button. And rotate it the same way - by push button.

Marv, It appears Jim, the great hubby, got this for his DW, Nancy. What a considerate fellow, scoring points that way! :D Good job, Jim!

SmokeyBare

Your Right HT !!!

He's spot on taking care of Nancy... makes me ponder if I should be getting Karen a short stool to stand on to reach the Antenna Handle... Yep.. Christmas is just around the corner ! :D