Pass Thru and Baggage Doors

Jellystone

I am a new Road Warrior 305 owner. I want to replace the standard factory pass thru and baggage door locking latches with another #ed key/latch set up. Does anyone know the size/measurement latch I need to be purchasing. Thanks for any help. (By the way, my family and I really love this unit--used it twice so far in the last 7 weeks and have had no problems at all----KNOCK ON WOOD) :)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I think there was an earlier thread on this topic. You might search for it, or just remove one of the standard locks from the door and take it to a locksmith. Some folks have switched over to the round key type lock, like on vending machines.

rick_debbie_gallant

Locks, who uses locks? All they do is slow a bad person down a little if he or she wants in. I have owned several boats over the past 20 some years and never locked any of them and never got broke into. Funny how the only boats that I ever saw got broke into were the ones that were locked. Soooooooo, I only worry about locking the main entrance door and dont even bother with the underbelly.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I realize locks are for honest people but why help the thief by leaving things unlocked. Given the choice between easy and hard the thief will take the easy and fast route everytime.

Jellystone

Locks, who uses locks? All they do is slow a bad person down a little if he or she wants in. I have owned several boats over the past 20 some years and never locked any of them and never got broke into. Funny how the only boats that I ever saw got broke into were the ones that were locked. Soooooooo, I only worry about locking the main entrance door and dont even bother with the underbelly.
Rick, I agree w/ your opinion on locks to a certain extent, but unfortunetly we live in a world with many types of theives. I am simply trying to make it more difficult for the average thief to get my stuff. You may not know this, but most trailers roll out of the factory w/the same key and lock setup as all others trailers have. i. e.--your factory key will fit in over half of the campers storage doors in your favorite campground. I've never had anything stolen out of any of my trailers but I also don't just "give it away" either w/unlocked doors.

jbeletti

Each makes his own choice and balances convenience and security.

In 5 years, my practice has been to keep all storage and entrance doors locked when the RV is in storage at our seasonal site.

And to leave all storage doors unlocked the entire length of a camping trip. Locking only the entrance door when we leave the campsite.

Here again, this is just what I do.

Jim

rick_debbie_gallant

Each makes his own choice and balances convenience and security.

In 5 years, my practice has been to keep all storage and entrance doors locked when the RV is in storage at our seasonal site.

And to leave all storage doors unlocked the entire length of a camping trip. Locking only the entrance door when we leave the campsite.

Here again, this is just what I do.

Jim

That is what we do also (just lock the entrance door) when using the rig. And because I store my rig next to my barn I still keep everything unlocked. (Can you tell I like to be contrary?):D

Rick

2010augusta

As far as locks and locking up the doors I will chime in with some personal experience:

I also own a "nice" Jeep wrangler that has a soft top or no top during the warmer months. I have several very strong steel lock boxes mounted in side and they stay locked, but the doors are ALWAYS unlocked. I mention this because my neighbor(also with a soft top Jeep) locks his doors. One morning I came out to find the on my jeep "blowing in the wind" and looked around inside and nothing was gone, but some things were rearranged in the door pockets. I looked over and the windows on my neighbors Jeep had been cut open and were also "blowing in the wind". I would rather let the crook in and see that there was nothing worth taking than have them cut up a $200 set of windows and then find nothing inside.

The only thing I have in the basement that has any real value (unless someone is trying to steal out of season clothing) is a 300-400 pound tool box.

Just remember the a lock is only as strong as the door it is mounted in. the new aluminum doors might be rather secure, but the old tin and Styrofoam doors are a joke, they will flex enough to bypass any lock.

If someone wants in, they WILL get in, the only thing you can control is how much damage they cause getting in.

Just my $.02