RFID tracking, GPS, ETC?

OhioJay

My family includes our black Labrador retriever, Hector. I wonder what is the best way to ensure that should he become lost or stolen we can find him and get him back? Anyone "chip" their dog or cat? Any other recommendations to help locate them 100 miles from home? All we have now is his collar with a name tag. Thanks.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have our phone number on Suzi's tag. We are always with her when she's off leash and when we are in a campground, unless we know it's OK, she's always ON a leash. We never leave her unattended unless she's in the trailer. Never tied up alone outside. If a dog were to be stolen I would say the only way to insure it's return would be a chip of some sort.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Trevor, our new 3yr old Yorkie has been chipped twice..... both times by the puppy mill. The Chip is by Avid PetTrac. It is placed beneath the skin on the back between the shoulders. I the animal is picked up by the animal control, most can scan for the chip and then can contact you. I think all vets have a scanner also. Avid gives you a tag to go onto a collar or harness. We also have a tag we got from PetSmart that has his name and our phone number.

However as Ray said, keep them close and never alone. However not all of our fur kids like to hang around and can jump out or get away. If I were you I would keep a collar on your Lab with numbers and name and go to the vet and have him chipped.
FWIW
BC

CrazyScotsman

We have both out Yorkies chipped, plus name tags with our phone number.
Only problem nowadays with the chip is, there is so many different chip manufacturers and if the place that scans the dog doesn't have a scanner that is universal, it may not be able to get the info. This is what our vet told us. He couldn't scan our dogs as his was not universal.

pbascom

Both of our dogs are chipped with AVID - although I didn't know that a shelter needs a universal reader. But I keep them close to us all the time - and since they're older now they're less likely to wander off.

2010augusta

Another quick note for pet recovery away from home, is to make sure the phone number on the pet tags and chip info are your cell phones. It does no good to have animal control or a good citizen calling your house if your not there.

OhioJay

The collars a nice idea for a hunter. But for every day use, it doesn't seem practical. The collar is sort of bulky, and has that big antenae on it. And, the unit has a range of just 7 miles. A dog could cover seven miles in under an hour if it wanted to.