Need Help With Modification

cdnrver

I looking for some help from someone with a little electrical savy.

I would like to do a modification on my Sundance 2900mk.

On various occasions I seen RVs "parked" on resort sites with all their exterior lights on at night (all lit up just like when your driving down the road), especially when attending rallies etc - looks kinda cool.

I understand that you can jump the 2 connection slots (one on each side of the alignment bar on the electrical travel cord than plugs into your truck connection) to turn all the exterior light on.

This is what I would like to do:

I would like to install a light switch inside our unit - not sure where yet - maybe near the entry door step light switch near the floor by the fuse panel - so that at night I can open the door and switch the exterior lights on.

I could mount a electrical rv plug socket under my unit to plug the travel cord in - and then run wires to the switch and battery for the power. The only problem is my travel cord would be hanging out and plugged into the socket instead of rolled up and placed in the pin box. The hanging cord would also cause a tripping hazard each time I had to go around the rv to empty the tanks.

My question is:

Is there anyone who knows much about rv electrical systems in the forum who could figure out a way for me to tap into my Sundance's interior electrical system? The travel cord is connected somewhere in the unit - so that I could run a light switch to the internal wiring to turn the outside lights off and on when required (without making it unsafe while driving).

Is it possible to do this without compromising the exterior lighting while driving? For example; I wouldn't want to forget and leave the switch off only to find that my brakes likes are not working while driving.

I know what I'd like - I just don't have enough electrical knowledge to know if it's possible or not.

thanks

branson4020

Icantre Member
You could accomplish what you want with a 12V SPDT relay mounted near the electrical box under you trailer pin box - where your harness attaches. You'd need to run a couple of 14 ga wires back to wherever you wanted the switch mounted. Jumping the plug with a paper clip sounds a lot easier.

all i did on my sob was wire into the left front [driver side ]marker light with one hot wire from switch i installed then ran wire to the batt.

2010augusta

The easiest way to achieve what you are wanting would be to add a switch to the junction box on the pin box. It would not be inside, but would allow you to easily turn on the running lights.

All you need to do is add a switch between the 12volt line and the running lamps line in the "travel cord". If the switch is in the ON position the running lamps will be on all the time. If the switch is in the Off position the running lamps will be off unless turned on by the truck. You do not need to run any extra wires from the battery. you could extend these wire to the inside of the coach, and mount the switch where you want, but that will require a bit of fishing and wire locating .

Another way would be to tie the running lamps circuit in to the step light and use the step light switch. If your trailer is like ours, the mid-ship running light is very close to the door and the step light. it would just involve running two wires to jump the two circuits together, but the step light will then turn on with the running lamps as you drive.

The last way I will mention is there is a commercial product that is the jumper that plugs into the seven-pin connector that turns on the lights, but I cannot remember the name or source for it.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Like has been mentioned, the tricky part of what you are desiring - is getting wire to a switch inside your Sundance. Here are a couple of websites that explain wiring an emergency flasher to your cord in case of having to abandon your rig on the side of the road. You could flash your lights at a rally with one of these, or just jump it out and let them shine continuously. :)

Flasher 1 Flasher 2

cdnrver

Thanks everyone - I think I'll go with the next best thing - hard wiring a switch on the junction box at the pin box.

I appreciate everyone's input.

SmokeyBare

Make it simple... just use a U shaped jumper wire... plug one end of the jumper wire into the 12 Volt power terminal of the electrical 7 pin plug and plug the other end of the jumper wire into the running light terminal.

Link to the wire diagram of a 7 pin plug>> http://www.rverscorner.com/wiring/7pole.html

want a switch?? between build one into the jumper wire... no problems when you hook up the truck... you will need to remove the jumper wire to be able to plug the cord into the truck.

Want them to Flash... which might get you far more attention than you bargain for... to do this, use a turn signal flash switch... and plug it directly into the 7 pin plug... connecting to the same terminals as above. The running lights will now flash. Errr..... unless your flashing lights are keeping ME AWAKE... and I quietly unplug it... :)

Attachments

• 44310.jpg
    44310.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 17

sunflower

Sure the neighbors are going to be happy??I have been in a park where the manager came along and told them to tone it down,pretty bright.