Mobile Internet using AirCard and Mobile Router

jbeletti

Bill,

JCD... on this forum just got his Datastorm installed in VA a week or 2 back. He loves it. Give him a shout.

Tomorrow, my gear comes in to make my truck a rolling HotSpot. With work, the forum, email etc, I decided it was time to get an AirCard. But I wanted to take it a step further so I bought a Mobile Router. 99% of the time, the Sprint (Sierra Wireless 580 EV-DO) AirCard will stay in the router in the truck and probably on. When we travel by air, we'll pull the AirCard out and take it for use in one of our laptops. The router is actually pretty easy to unplug and take with as well (110VAC and 12 VDC powerable).

Of course, unlike Satellite Internet, I am reliant on a cellular signal to connect where as you just need exposure to the southern sky pretty much anywhere in the CONUS. Pros and Cons to all methods.

Best of luck to you.

Jim

NOTE: This thread was moved from Bighorn forum for DataStorm Satellite Internet discussion

Last edited:

nhunter

Jim, I have the same setup with the exception of the router (I have the Kyocera KR1). Works excellent. I know some guys also use a wireliess digital booster that boosts everything in your truck for about $400cdn if you are in alot of fringe areas, but I don't have many dead spots.

jbeletti

nhunter,

That's neat to hear that I am not a lone ranger out there doing this. I looked at the Kyocera KR1 as well. Great price.

I friend of mine uses the Wilson direct-connect cellular amplifier and loves it. That's a $265 US expense that I will put off until I determine that I need/want it. My truck is getting pretty full of gear. Finding it hard to find a spot for everything now :)

Jim

nhunter

The laptop I have has the slot for the air card but the wifes has an "express card" slot. So apparently there is no adapter from aircard to express card and that is what newer computers are switching to.

jbeletti

nhunter,

I am now feeling your pain! Just opened up these 2 Dell laptops (one for wife, other for sister-in-law) - yup - Express Card Slot!

I'll be home in 30 minutes and sitting at the door will be a new Sprint (Sierra Wireless 580) AirCard that will not fit in these new laptops.

Good news for me that when my wide is away from home with her personal laptop (rarely), we will be together and I will carry the mobile router that will have the AirCard in it. And the AirCard will work in my Sony VAIO laptop.

Doubt w'll see any Express to PCMCIA adapters but looks like we will see some USB to PCMCIA adapters that may take the AirCards.

Jim

nhunter

Wife and I both have Dell laptops same model six months apart and same thing- one express, one aircard, but like like you if she is away from home she will be with me.

jgilbert

Jim,

I am extremely interested in your setup. How does the Aircard/router know when to connect? Does it stay connected 24/7?

Joe

nhunter

I don't know about the router Jim got, but the Kyocera KR1 automaticly connects when the card is inserted and stays connected until it is removed or shut off.

jbeletti

Hi Joe,

I just got back home tonight from 10 days on the road. My "replacement" Sierra Wireless 580 AirCard from Sprint is now here and I just got done activating it.

Tomorrow, I will insert it into the Junxion Mobile Router. Just as nhunter's Kyocera router does, so "should" the Junxion router keep the Internet connection active (WAN Keep Alive feature).

Once I have the card working in the router, I will tweak out the dynamic DNS service so that the mobile router and devices hanging off of it (PCs, IP cameras etc.) are accessible via the Internet.

Once I can access the router from the Internet, I will make my camera feed available and I will begin to place more detailed information on my personal web site (CarPC). Hopefully from there, you'll find all that you need. If not, you may email me with questions.

Do work with nhunter as well to gather as much information on mobile computing and mobile Internet before you make your own investment.

Thanks,

Jim

jgilbert

Okay Jim,

I have studied your CarPC page and it is full of good information. I still have a question or two......... Is the router connected to your CarPC ? or is it a "stand a lone" project that connects to internet through Sprint and you access it's signal wirelessly through your PC or your laptop? Inother words, do you even need a car PC to make the router and card work?

Joe

jbeletti

Hi Joe,

The CarPC is connected to the router via Ethernet cable but only so the CarPC can connect to the Internet and to the camera for local viewing/focusing/recording.

The Sprint Air Card is in the Junxion Box Mobile Router. The Air Card enables Internet access for the Router. The Junxion Box Router I have has a Wireless Access Point (WAP) in it. They also make one that does not.

The WAP allows me to connect PCs with WiFi capability to the Router and then to the Internet. As I type this, I am sitting in a warm trailer with an AC that is trying its best to cool the trailer down. I am typing on a laptop that is connected to the Router via WiFi and then the Router to the Internet via the AirCard.

The CarPC and LCD screen are both shut down to minimize current draw in the truck. For now, I am keeping the Router and Network Camera powered on 24/7 and I am keeping close track of battery voltage. I am drawing about 10 watts at 12 VDC max on the 2 batteries in the truck. If they can take it, I'll leave it all powered as-is. If over time, I find I am dipping too far into the truck batteries, if I can find room, I will put a yellow-top Optima deep-cycle battery in, just for the goodies. I'll wire in a battery isolator so it gets a charge from the alternator but will not discharge the truck batts.

Jim

nhunter

Jim, as for the batteries dying i had my sattelite radio, 400watt inverter, and 3watt cellphone on for about 5 days before my truck wouldn't start.

jbeletti

nhunter - good to know, thanks.

As I was backing out of my CG today after cleaning the trailer, I saw that I had a great view of the trailer from the dash cam so I snapped this image...

trailer_07-15-06.jpg

jgilbert

mHunter and Jim,

I must say I am most impressed with both of your setups and your knowledge. I am extremely excited about being able to do the internet in a rolling truck. I am not quite ready to do it yet, but it seems definitely dooable.

I hope you both will allow me to come back again and again with my questions as I pursue my own rolling internet hotspot.

Thanks again,

Joe:)

jbeletti

I'd be happy to continue to work with you Joe as you work through your requirements. On this forum in this thread or via email (jim @ beletti . com).

Couple of quick things to consider prior to jumping in with both feet is the capital investment and the onging operating costs.

Capital Costs: ~$240 - $850
- Router: ~$240 - $600 (depending on brand, model and features)
- AirCard: ~$0 - $200 (depending on contract)
- Optional: External antennas for Router (WiFi) and Cellular (AirCard): ~$100
- Potential: ~$25 - $50 DC wiring, switching etc. in truck unless 12 volt outlets/plugs are used

Operating Costs:
- Data Contract: ~$20 - $80 monthly (depending on contract/data usage)

While some wireless carriers allow you to buy varying levels of data usage monthly, I suggest that if you truly do plan to use the AirCard, that an unlimited plan be strongly considered. Most unlimited plans are between $60 & $80 monthly. I got mine for $60 as Sprint is one of the many corporations that offers other corporations discounts to their employees.

Best of luck!

Jim

ct0218

I have an aircard thru Verizon, unlimited usage, $60/month. Also, an external antenna w/3 watt amp that ran around $400 from Smoothtalker. I needed the amp and antenna because of the limited cell coverage in the mountains. Jim, I like your router setup, never thought of that. I use WiFi at homeand like it. Do you find that when you are in your truck you lock on to WiFi networks that you don't want. I have had that problem in towns and cities, but the only option I'm given is to give it a name (home, office, away), it will not let me just X it out. I have started turning off my WiFi antenna on the Toshiba laptop to eliminate that problem.

jbeletti

Clark,

At this time, I don't have a WiFi adapter connected to the CarPC. But I know what you're saying with the laptop.

With mind though, I've found that my laptop only auto-connects to to WiFi networks that are named the same as others I have connected to in the past.

Jim

ct0218

I'm really not into the technical end of computers. There may be a solution to my problem, I'll check with my son since he that is his profession. I just know my computer recognizes everything out there. There may be a security problem on my end because of this too.

jgilbert

Jim,

Thanks for those cost estimates. They are right in line with what I expected.
This is definitely doable.

Joe

jgilbert

MHunter and Jim,

Where it the placement of the mobile router in your vehicle? on the dash? in the glove box? elsewhere?

Joe