Satellite confusion!!!!

OhioJay

Were breaking in the new North Trail this weekend, and I'd love to have the TV hooked up so i can watch the Buckeyes play on Saturday.

The rig is a 2010 North Trail 32QBSS.

I have DirectTv service here at the house, and will be taking one of our home recievers with us. I have a slimline dish, complete with a tripod.

I tried to figure out how to connect the cables to the dish, and the blah blah to the blah and gave up. Stopped in our local satellite store, installation center and explained what we wanted to do. Esentially, without the technical mumbo-jumbo, the dish connects to the trailer. The reciever connects to the inside cable outlet. And the TV connects to the reciever. Makes sense to me! But the person I consulted said plugging the satellite directly into the outside cable outlet would fry the internal wiring of the RV. Could this really be? Should I have upgraded to some sort of satellite hookup on the rig? I'm confused. Even more so because after the guy told me that info, he DIDN'T try to sell me a $300.00 anti-fry doo-dad!! Has anyone plugged the satellite dish directly into the cable outlet? if so, any problems? I'd really like to see the Buckeyes run up the middle every play against Illinois!!! (and hopefully win by more than 5 points!!)

jnbhobe

I plug my dish right into the satellite connection in the UDC, the reciever into the wall jack and the TV into the reciever. Works fine for me,I have not hooked up surrond sound. JON :cool: :cool: :cool:

2010augusta

You CAN NOT use the cable system for Satellite wiring. The cable system has many splitters and also is tied into the antenna system with the booster. The satellite system will not work with splitters. I do know know if it will damage the trailer but it likely could because the receivers OUTPUT 13 and 18 volts depending on the channel. hope this clears things up a bit.

2010augusta

Does the North Trail come pre-wired with Satillite hook-ups in the UDC? I was taking it from your post that it does not. I know the Landmarks and Big Horns are pre-wired with satellite wiring.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Yes, do not plug the satellite cable in to the "cable" inlet. Get a 50' satellite compatable cable..run it through a window until can wire in a dedicated "satellite" cable. I am a bit surprised that there is not a seperate hook up for satellite in you coach.

You can use the cable plug in the udc but inside in the living room you have to pull your wall plate off and drill a new hole in it and put a double ended female conector in it. Then take the cable off the back of that plate that brings signal to your living room and conect it to the female conector and it will then work for satellite. The reason you have to do this is because the wires are fed into a power booster for the roof antenna. I have done this to my previous trailers and for my friends units. Very easy to do.

OhioJay

Thanks for the info. The satellite guy is just wiring up the dish, which I'll connect directly to the reciever.

DMAX154

I am trying to do the same thing and all of the above info has me even more confused. There are three wires comming off the Dish. One is a ground wire and the other two are like regular cable wires. Where do I hook these up to and why does my Sundance have a telephone type jack for the satellite hook up in the UDC? Can I buy some kind of adapator?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I am trying to do the same thing and all of the above info has me even more confused. There are three wires comming off the Dish. One is a ground wire and the other two are like regular cable wires. Where do I hook these up to and why does my Sundance have a telephone type jack for the satellite hook up in the UDC? Can I buy some kind of adapator?

That's very odd. My Sundance has a dedicated Satellite hookup in the UDC that is a normal Cable/Satellite type connector. There's also a separate Satellite connector on the box in the TV connection area inside the trailer. Sounds like your connectors are mis-labeled.

jbeletti

The ground wire on your dish can connect to an earth ground - not to the RV so you can put that aside for now. See your dish or receiver manual for more on grounding.

The telephone jack in your UDC is for telephone, not for satellite. That jack may share a wall plate with a satellite coax jack (F81) - not sure. So forget about the phone jack unless you are at a campground that has telephone service that you wish to subscribe to. Some do. There will be a phone jack somewhere in the RV then that connects to that outside phone jack. Probably by the desk or entertainment area.

So - you are ONLY trying to interface with coaxial TV style jacks (F81) in your UDC. If you know which one or two come from the roof, you will NOT need to connect to those unless your dish is on the roof.

Others can help you further from here.

Jim

2010augusta

If you look on the door of the UDC compartment you should have a large label showing the exact function of all the hook up in the UDC. the Satellite hook-ups are typically in the top of the back wall. The cable and phone hook-up are on the side of the UDC. The Phone jack is just a phone jack it is not part of the Sat hook ups. The Two wires coming from the dish are the 2 LBN feeds. you can hook them to 2 different single recivers or one dual tuner DVR, or if you use a "multi-switch" you can hook up a lot more.

DMAX154

Ok thanks I think I have it now. I went out and looked again and I was wrong it is a cable type hook up. Thanks for the info.