2008 Cyclone 4012 Wheel/Tire upgrade

We want to upgrade our 15 inch wheels/tires to 16 inch wheels/tires. The 15 inch Load Range "D" Goodyear Marathons are not holding up for us. As a result, we would like to upgrade the wheels and tires to a 16 inch set with a higher load range.

What are the specifications regarding wheel/tire sizes that we will need for this upgrade?

Thank you,

alkyspeed

Tire swap

Here's how I fixed the problem ---- 2nd picture shows the difference between the 15' and 16' tire setup. Installed LT235/85/16 load range E. About 1 1/2 in. spacing between tires. Clearance on top is OK with Cyclone 3795 model. Two short trips since Labor Day weekend and all seems OK so far.

Well -- I went and bought Sendel 16" 80# wheels and Firestone Transforce HT 16" tires for the Cyclone. Sent the Chinese junk down the road to support landscape equipment and lawnmowers, not people. Hopefully no more weird tire explosions.

It is obvious how much heavier duty they are than ST tires. The sidewalls are nearly twice as thick and they weigh almost twice as much. VERY heavy duty. On my pull last week, they seem much more solid and stable than the Chinese junk.
I just wanted to throw this out there to those looking for another alternative in the ST junk tire debacle, Mission or not.
I know there are some on this forum who do not recommend using LT tires on trailers. I do respect their opinions, and I have read some literature that frequently accompanies their posts. However, for me, the proof is in the actual tire. When I can physically look at a tire that has a commercial rating and a sidewall that is heavy, and then pick up my old ST tire that is flimsy junk, I will go with the heavier tire, regardless of the manufacturer telling me the ST tires have stronger sidewalls. It simply does not add up. So, bottom line - this was my decision. I will try to post positives and negatives as this all shakes out, but my first impression is that it was a good move. Trailer feels great going down the road. For anyone else considering the move, I would recommend doing your own homework to make sure you are making an informed decision.
Attached Thumbnails //heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4825&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1250459356 //heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4826&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1250459356

alkyspeed,

Thank you very much for the info and pictures. I feel more comfortable now that I've seen them mounted. The comparison pictures really give a good perspective.

alkyspeed

574.97 delivered for wheels . 843.00 for tires mounted, balanced with metal valve stems.
1417.97 total for real good peace of mind. :)

alanpaulk

16" wheels & Tires

I also had major troubles with the marathon tires. 1 blowout and the other 5 seperated at the same time. I decided to swap out the 5200lb axles for 7000lb axles. also changed over to goodyear g614rst tires. had to change rims also but not that expensive. the 614 tire is all steel and has a rating of 3750lbs for a total upgraded gvw of 21,000 on the axles and 22,500 on the tires. it was well worth it for the piece of mind. it was also a direct swapout with no mods needed. all cyclones should be set up this way at the factory I think.

crazybanshee

White we upgraded to 16" tires and wheels. The largest tire that would fit is a LT245/75/16. May have to go to your dealer and try out the sizes.
Doug

Re: Tire swap

Hey Jim...I know this is an old post but I was wondering how the new tires and wheels have worked out. Also did it make the trailer sit a little highter? In addition to increased load capability I am looking to get the rig up a little higher so as not to scrape.
Thanks, Brent

alkyspeed

Hey Jim...I know this is an old post but I was wondering how the new tires and wheels have worked out. Also did it make the trailer sit a little highter? In addition to increased load capability I am looking to get the rig up a little higher so as not to scrape.
Thanks, Brent

The tire setup has been great. I have only been able to take some short trips but No trouble whatsoever. That tire size raised the trailer about 1 1/2" to 2". Certainly one of the better moves I have made to take some of the drama and tire explosion fears away.

Dennist

atving and camping...

Since your in Indiana where did you get them? We are in the Fort and I need to do the same. The comparison shot tells it all with the 16 vs 15.... wow.

alkyspeed

I bought the Sendel wheels from GearWorks in Maple Park, IL www.gearworksmfg.com -- The tires were purchased through TireRack in South Bend, IN.
So far the setup is great, not problems whatsoever.

Since your in Indiana where did you get them? We are in the Fort and I need to do the same. The comparison shot tells it all with the 16 vs 15.... wow.