Install Hitch on 28BH 5er to Pull extra trailer or boat

rshogg

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that can tell me about their experiences installing a hitch on the rear of their Heartland ultra-lightweight (I have the NorthTrail) in order to pull a boat/extra trailer. I'm trying to determine what class of hitch and what level of expertise I should be looking for in a welder to do the job. I was told at the dealership that I can install the hitch, just need to know if anyone has the specifics on exactly what sort of set-up would work best on my rig.

Here's my rig:

2009 28BH HL Northtrail Fifth Wheel
2006 GMC Sierra Duramax

I don't have the trailer yet, but I'd like to be able to pull a trailer with a couple cords of wood or a boat/atv. Thanks for helping! :D

Ryan H.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I don't know that I would recommend this for an Ultra-lite trailer like you are decribing. Personally I feel that tripple towing is a somewhat dangerous arrangement. But anyway, I can tell you that my step-brother has done this with his normal style older travel trailer SOB. He has also had to do extensive rebuilding of the frame which costs him almost what his trailer is worth.

When you do find someone install a hitch for you make sure they reinforce the frame enough to deal with the type of load you are considering towing.

Good luck,
Mark

Cyncwby

rshogg, before you do anything you should call Heartland or Lippert to find out if this modification will void your warranty (Lippert will say "YES").....read my response to "warranty or not". Just some info I collected for everyone's benefit.

Before u tow triple ck state laws especially out west must have elect or hyd brakes on all three units no surge allowed on triple tow and Florida on its a no no on any triple tow. good luck

AL KADEY

ALLEYKAT&MOMMAKAT
Check with dot re towing combination with 2 trailer hitches. Many jurisdictions state " the 1st trailer must be attached to the tow unit by means of a fifth wheel hitch, and the second thailer hitch must be welded to the trailer frame". Also overall length must be concidered, and the rated towing capacity of the tow vehicle for overall weight will have to be checked.

Baldetti

My dealer installed a hitch receiver on the back of my Sundance 3300RLB to hold a cargo platform like is often on the back of an SUV. Supposedly it the receiver was made for my trailer. Anyway, less than 3 months later, with only a little over a hundred pounds it broke and was dragging behind me down I95! We think it happened because even with a small amount of weight, the distance between the welded points (nearly 8' wide frames on a fiver) was too much. The steel just broke. I'd be very cautious about pulling a trailer.

rshogg

thanks for all of the help! I know that in Colorado your entire rig can't be longer than 70'. I guess I'll check with Heartland to see if this does in fact void a warranty. Thanks again!

Ryan H.;)

Eagle

Interesting reading. I am currently looking at the Landmark Grand Canyon or the BC 2450 TS. Neither has a hitch and all I want to put back there are the bicycles for me and the wife. The carrier probably weighs more than the bikes. If memory serves me correctly, my current HH uses a Lippert frame and that has a hitch. As we are full timers, we need a location to mount the bikes. If installing a hitch voids the warranty, I may have to rethink on what we buy.:(

Wade

lwmcguir

Quite a difference between the GC and the BC. Both are nice but many options come standard on the Landmark. I am sure you are aware of that. Regarding the Lippert frame, if you touch it the warranty is voided. They are covering themselves for sure and there probably is some wiggle room but you couldn't count on it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Keep in mind you only need to worry about warranty restrictions and limitations when you have problems. Will you have problems?

Delaine and Lindy

Our Mobile Suites was ordered with the option of having a Class 3, 2" receiver hitch and the 15" boxed frame is from Lippert. GBY....

2010augusta

Can someone PLEASE clarify what is triple towing and what (if anything) is double towing for an RV. I realize the in commercial setups a triple is: tractor, fifth wheel trailer, dolly, fifth wheel trailer. like this.
df_carolina_1.jpg

then what is this considered? Quintuple?
2_1210258500_triple-trailer-truck.jpg

In all my searches I can't find all state with laws limiting any "double towing" but many states have laws on triple towing. And his does not even began to start to talk about limiting total length.

Hamshog

Hey All Ya'll,

Towing doubles is two trailers, towing tripples is three trailers. You don't count the truck (TV), as you're not towing it.. :) Some states dont' allow doubles, and only a few allow tripples. Length limits are usually from 60' to 75' and some states up to 100'...

Lightweight trailers and their frames would probably not be the best choice to refit a hitch for more that 200#'s of weight...

Regards, Hamshog

lwmcguir

Most states that do allow doubles or triples will check to be sure you have brakes on the all the towed units.