Warranty or not?

Bogger

Well, let's just say I am a little disappointed so far. We have a 2010 Eagle Ridge with the 4" square bumper on the back. On the 1st trip towing it home, I was being followed by a friend who immediately noticed that the rear bumper was not level with the 5'er- it had a slight dip to the drivers side. I immediately contacted the dealer to inform them of this and a few other minor items. After a couple of e-mails back and forth, and taking and sending pictures, I still had no answers. That was a few months ago, and we have been able to use it without any issues, so I wasn't pressing the issue.

Anyway, I have posted in the past that we had a bike carrier and have used it a few times to carry 2-4 bikes. All of the bikes are lightweight aluminum bikes. Six weeks ago we took a trip a 1200 mile trip out to Glacier Park, MT. About 1/2 way there, the top of the bumper gave way from the frame, rendering our bike carrier useless for the rest of the trip out, and the whole trip back. We had to carry all of the bikes IN the 5'er for the rest of the trip

So, as soon as we returned from our trip, I contacted our dealer about this issue and the other original more minor issues, with a few new ones added. They again asked me to send pictures so they could forward them to Heartland for an answer on how to proceed. After more than a week, and not hearing back, I contacted the dealer and was told Heartland was having a meeting on Friday where the issue would be discussed. That was 3 weeks ago. Last week I again had to contact the dealer to find out what the result of the meeting was. He said he was still waiting to hear. Finally, this week he had an answer for us, but as you might have guessed by now, the answer was not what we wanted to hear. He said Heartland had discussed this with Lippert and it was decided that this was not a warranty issue. Based on what, I have no clue. How could it NOT be when I have pictures of the bumper being higher on the right side (or lower on the left) as soon as I got it home?

So, what do we do now? I can't imagine this not being a warranty issue. I have seen literally hundreds of RV's, 5'vers and TT's with 4 bikes and a bike carrier on the rear bumper. In fact, there was 1 in Glacier that would be considered a step or 2 down from a Heartleand, and that guy told me he's been carrying them like that for 3 years. So, what gives with mine?

Besides this problem, I still have no answers to my other issues (1 being the lighting wiring) we've had either. Maay questions, many issues, and no solutions. I guess I am wondering what anyone thinks of this, or if anyone has any ideas on what I can do to get any help? I can say, I am very disappointed in my dealers response time, but I can't say I am very happy with Heartland right now either. :(

CrazyScotsman

If I was you I would contact Heartland customer service directly. A lot of times these dealers will blow smoke up your a@@.
I am positive they ( HL ) will get your problem resolved.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Personaly I think you should contact Heartland directly and calmly state your case and discuss with them the experience you had going through your dealer. Keep us informed.

Good luck,

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
It is becoming more and more clear that some dealers are the biggest hinderance and obstacle for Heartland.
Our personal experience with heartland has been quick and decisive.

Cyncwby

Just a little info, a while back someone asked about using a gooseneck hitch adapter on their Big Horn. After a bunch of replys...."yea you can, no you can't" I called Lippert and asked their tech folks. Basically they said "NO" on the g/n hitch, the frame is not designed for it.......and furthermore "ANY" type of modifications from a g/n, rear reciever hitch welded to the frame or even a bike carrier attached to the rear can and will void the warranty on the frame. This really needs to be posted in plain sight inside the coach just like the front landing gear issue.

Bogger, I don't blame you for being p------ at your dealer but I have a question, did you or if you're unable have a friend get up under the rear and see why the rear bumper was canted to one side? It could have been missing a bolt or had a bent bracket or maybe something you could have fixed instead of taking it back to the dealer and been at his mercy......just wondering?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm not trying to rub salt in any wounds but why would you continue to haul the bikes on a bumper that may have a problem? It sounds as if you knew it was out of whack but still hauled the bikes on it. Not a real good idea in my opinion.

Bogger

I did inspect the rear bumper to see if thee was anything I might have been able to do to straighten it out when I first brought it home. If you've never seen one, it is welded directly to the frame, so no missing bolt, bent bracket or anything quite so easy. I didn't notice any cracked weld or anything like that either. But that is what I have now.

This question has been posted many times here, and I even replied one 1 thread stating "the rear bumper can hold 4 bikes no problem" as we had done it a couple of times. As I said, I've also seen it done hundreds of times by others. If it shouldn't be done or it voids the warranty, then I would hope Lippert and/or Heartland would have said so.

If they are going to say the bikes & bike rack caused this problem, then I will have a different approach. I won't ask for the "broken" bumper welds to be fixed- I just want the original UNEVEN bumper to be mounted level, and of course STILL fully attached to the 5'er. Because THAT was a problem it had before it left the dealers lot. And proof of that is my original e-mail with he dealer stating just that.

I will be contacting Heartland direct, but I honestly think they DO know about this issue as I do believe the dealer has contacted them. I just think the dealer has been dragging his feet because he doesn't know what else to do.

Bogger

I'm not trying to rub salt in any wounds but why would you continue to haul the bikes on a bumper that may have a problem? It sounds as if you knew it was out of whack but still hauled the bikes on it. Not a real good idea in my opinion.

The bumper was not level, but as I just posted- there was nothing else "visually" wrong with it. And why would I? How about I just spent $XX,XXX.XX on a 5th wheeler that was going to be hauling bikes for my family, was included in several vacation plans, and when the dealer was notified, he did not take any action or offer any immediate solution. Should I have just parked it? Brought it right back? Had it repaired? Or, Heaven forbid, use it as planned???

Ray LeTourneau

The bumper was not level, but as I just posted- there was nothing else "visually" wrong with it. And why would I? How about I just spent $XX,XXX.XX on a 5th wheeler that was going to be hauling bikes for my family, was included in several vacation plans, and when the dealer was notified, he did not take any action or offer any immediate solution. Should I have just parked it? Brought it right back? Had it repaired? Or, Heaven forbid, use it as planned???
In your first post, you made no mention of visually inspecting the bumper. That was the post my response was directed to. Yes, I do know what the square tube bumper looks like and how they attach. I've had several RV's with them. Some even have an aluminum skin on them to make them look good. Believe me I understand your frustration. Cracked welds are almost impossible to see with a naked eye. I used to do NDT in the Navy which is inspecting welds using dyes and imaging techniques. There was a post a while back from a member that lost his bikes because his carrier broke. In the owners guide for the carrier it stated not intended for use on rv's. These beasts have a lot of bouncing going on back there and 100#'s of bikes and hardware exerts a fair amount of stress on a bumper that's only about 3/32" thick. If there is any play in the hitch or bike rack allowing it to bounce, it makes it all that much worse. If it were mine, I would have corrected the problem before further use. Again, just my opinion. :)

2010augusta

One quick though one the bumper being unlevel. Could it be designed that way to drain "water" out since the sewer hose is stored inside, and a level bumper could allow water to pool and cause rust in the bumper?

How was the bike rack attached to the bumper?

Anyways, contact HL service directly and quit letting the dealer drag there feet.

Bogger

If it were mine, I would have corrected the problem before further use. Again, just my opinion. :)

I tried "correcting" the problem immediately by contacting the dealer and then awaited their response. But yes, in the meantime we did continue to use it.

I guess my question to you is this- do you think the bumper being mounted "crooked" is a warranty item?

One quick though one the bumper being unlevel. Could it be designed that way to drain "water" out since the sewer hose is stored inside, and a level bumper could allow water to pool and cause rust in the bumper?

How was the bike rack attached to the bumper?

Anyways, contact HL service directly and quit letting the dealer drag there feet.

No, it is not intentionally mounted that way. First off, it looks just plain stupid. I have also looked at other units from Heartland that do not look like ours did.

The bike rack was mounted using a receiver hitch meant to be mounted to the 4" bumper sold at Camping World. I already had the bike carrier, but a 4 bike carrier is also available from CW. So, if an RV bumper shouldn't be carrying them, why does a store such as CW offer (and sell many) of them?

Anyone see any of the posts with people asking this exact question and see anyone from Lippert or Heartland say "no, they aren't made ro carry bikes"?

2010augusta

Bogger, It looks like HL will back you up on this since the Brand Manager told you it would hold the bike rack in the earlier post. But, Did you know that the 2" adapter is only rated to hold 100 pounds?

Surco RV Bumper Adapter (4 inch x 4 inch) Mounts to 4” x 4” square RV bumper Accepts all 2” receiver applications NOTE: Max capacity 100 pounds

Ray LeTourneau

I guess my question to you is this- do you think the bumper being mounted "crooked" is a warranty item?
I would say yes, a bumper mounted crooked should be a warranty item. Have you personally called Heartland Customer Service yet?

Regarding the broken bike rack in my earlier post, quality varies by brand. I was only stating what was reported in the thread. For that particular brand of carrier.

I'm not saying square tube bumpers aren't designed to hold and carry bikes but I still would not have hauled the bikes in your situation.

As earlier responders to this thread have said, try calling Heartland directly and plead your case. Calmly. From your initial post it sounds as if your dealer is dragging their feet on several issues, not just the bumper issue.

geeksrus

I would suggest that once your issues get resolved that you forget about carrying your bikes on the rear of the unit & carry them on an adapter for the pin box. This way you can see that the bikes are secure at all times.

I have seen a number of bikes being dragged down the road when they were rear mounted.

I use a commercially available pin box adapter (http://www.toppoprails.com/) and there are a number of owners that have a 'home grown' solution much like I had on my previous 5er.

Good luck regarding getting your current issues resolved.

Eh!

Bogger

Bogger, It looks like HL will back you up on this since the Brand Manager told you it would hold the bike rack in the earlier post. But, Did you know that the 2" adapter is only rated to hold 100 pounds?

Surco RV Bumper Adapter (4 inch x 4 inch) Mounts to 4” x 4” square RV bumper Accepts all 2” receiver applications NOTE: Max capacity 100 pounds

The bikes are all "Specialized", with the heaviest one being mine at 28 pounds. Then there is a females bike and 2 smaller adult/larger kids bikes. None of those 3 weigh more than 25 each. Pretty close to 100 pounds, and the receiver isn't the part that had the problem.

Thanks for your replies. I will keep you all posted.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
My unit came with a spare tire mounted to the square bumper. I did not like the way wheel/ tire could shake or bounce from the 'cantilevered' mounting bracket. I removed the spare and mounted it under the unit with 2"x3"x1/4" angle across the frame.
I have my generator mounted on top of the bumper now with a 100% solid rigid square U-bolt bracket. (Note: I did grind down the factory's cold lap bumper welds and re-welded them).
It appears you bumper had issues from day one and i'd think Heartland should repair it to factory specs.