Anybody's unit ever Flood on them :(

proudowner

formely cannotdecide
A few weeks ago we left our unit for about 1 and a half hours and when we returned we were wondering where the water on the road was coming from. As we approached our beautiful Sundance we could see that water was pouring out of it... Cleaned up all the water for a very long time and then dropped it off at the dealer the next day. There was water everywhere. The insurance adjuster is still trying to decide what to do..... we figure that the holding tank filled and water kept on running from the shower (the little black valve was apparently off). Soooooo sad :(:(:(:(
Anyone experience this at all???

jbeletti

Yes - forum member Midastouch had her unit flood. Here's her thread on it.

Sorry to hear about your flood :( What little black valve are you referring to? If a valve was "off", wouldn't the water be off then?

Best of luck to you.

Jim

proudowner

formely cannotdecide
Thanks Jim, it was the little valve in the shower that you would switch off to conserve the hot water while showering. that is the only thing we can think of as our little fella went to take a shower the next morning and said there was no water, he turned the valve on and the water started again.

jbeletti

OK - I get it now. He may have left the valve open, allowing water to trickle, fill the tank and overflow the shower pan, thereby flooding the coach.

2010augusta

Sorry to hear about your issue. We did something similar once. We put a load of clothes in the washer and left for wal-mart, came back later to find a full shower and water running out of the bathroom and down the stairs. Mopped it up and opened the drain to the tank. Lesson learned. ANYTIME the washer is running the gray tank is OPEN.

Two Hands

During our trip to Alaska this summer the camper next to me was telling how he had connected the city water to his black tank sprayer, turned on the water, then left for Wal-Mart. When he returned the water was gushing out the door. He topped that by saying that later in the trip the washer drain hose had popped out while they were away and the bedroom had been flooded. He still seemed to be a happy camper.

proudowner

formely cannotdecide
OMG, I would not be a happy camper... So frustrated as we have had many, many issues with our 5th wheel. It seems like somebody upstairs is telling us something... I'm not listening.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I had a similar situation, although nothing bad happened. We are in the mountains of Colorado where it gets cold at night. We took the advice of our neighbors and let the water drip overnight. I had dumped our blackwater yesterday and had forgotten to open the gray water, so when I remembered it this morning, the tanks were both full. I opened them this morning and drained all the water out but it could have been bad had I not remembered.

vangoes

I had somewhat the same experience as Jay. We had a freeze warning one night a few years ago so we decided to trickle the water all night rather than fill the fw tank and disconnect our hose. I also closed the gray tank valves so the sewer hose would not turn into a block of ice. I had no idea that a very small trickle would actually fill up our grey tank. Guess what.....it did! The next morning when we came down from the bedroom, the kitchen sink was overflowing and the living room area was soaked. What a mess! Lesson learned........in freezing temps disconnect the fresh water!!!!!! Even with the grey valves open, the sewer hose could freeze up and have the same effect as being closed.

Pulltab

I bought a wireless water shutoff valve and installed it on our rig. Whenever we walk out the door I just hit the button and it shuts the water off. I think it cost about $120 or so.

jbeletti

Do give details Tab. I have researched this in the past and then for an hour today. Found a few high-end valves ($400) and some low-end irrigation stuff as well as a few in between but no ready-to use solution at your price point.

Jim

davebennington

When we arrived at the rally I was hooking everything up and I remembered that I did not dump the black tank after the last camping adventure so I started the black tank flusher and forgot to open the dump valve. A very short time later my wife was yelling turn off the water. The black tank flusher filled the black tank and forced you know what up into the commode and on to the floor. What a mess, we spent the next several hours cleaning up sewer water and trying to wash towels, mats and trying to get the smell out of the trailer. Lesson learned do one thing at a time, when you get old do not try to multi task.

Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I don't mean to brag but I have overflowed ours on 3 different occasions. I guess I am a slow learner. DW says once more and I will be traveling alone.