Heated water hose

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Last spring we had our water hose freeze a few times, we are planing to travel this winter so i figure its time to prepare. I could only find a few heated hoses online and the prices ranged from $100-$1000. This one seemed like a deal for $103 (retails $150), its 40' long and made of a quality flexable rubber. I unrolled it to find it layed out streight without any set in curves.

Attachments

• PICT0014.JPG
    PICT0014.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 172

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I just went to Lowe's and picked up some heat tracing tape and pipe insulation. Probably $40 total cost. Spent the winter in Billings Mont, then moved over to Washington state. Sub freezing temps the whole time and never a problem. The heat tape plugs in to the UDC. Has a termostat that kicks in below 40 deg.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I just went to Lowe's and picked up some heat tracing tape and pipe insulation. Probably $40 total cost. Spent the winter in Billings Mont, then moved over to Washington state. Sub freezing temps the whole time and never a problem. The heat tape plugs in to the UDC. Has a termostat that kicks in below 40 deg.

Really? I looked into making one also. A good rubber is $40, heat tape $30, proper outdoor qualty pipe wrap $40+. I've see the home made ones, looked just like it was home made. Post a picture of yours please.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I'm like leatherneck.. I took a 25 ft white hose, 3 heat tapes from Wally World and some pipe insulation from Lowes and duct tape and made mine with an inline water regulator.

Wrapped the heat tapes around the water hose. Put the pipe instulation around the hose and tape. Sealed it with duct tape. Wrapped it up when I left Dallas and stored it for use this year. Sure was a lot less than $320.

BC

bigredtruck

I'm like leatherneck.. I took a 25 ft white hose, 3 heat tapes from Wally World and some pipe insulation from Lowes and duct tape and made mine with an inline water regulator.

Wrapped the heat tapes around the water hose. Put the pipe instulation around the hose and tape. Sealed it with duct tape. Wrapped it up when I left Dallas and stored it for use this year. Sure was a lot less than $320.

BC

we did the same.

ludwigdavid

David & Diana
As long as you have full hook up, leave the gray water tank valve open and let the tap trickle during cold weather and the hose will not freeze. We have done this up in Yellowstone and had no problems.

Bobby A

BC

I went to do this same thing last year and was talked out of it by the guys at Home Depot and Lowes, both told me that the heat tape is not ment to be used with rubber/water hose cause it will melt the hose. If I recall they said the heat tape can reach temp of over 100 degrees. Did you find a heat tape that doesn't get that hot or just take your chances that it won't melt the hose ?? Thanks

jtcfishing

If you dont mind could you send me or post where you purchaced the hose look like something I would be in the market for. Thanks John

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I used the heat strips from Wal-Mart with the cheap white water hose with the blue stripe down the length of it. You can get the hose at Wal-Mart or Camping World.

No it did not melt the hose. Infact the directions indicate it is for use on a water hose if I remember correctly. I have it stored in my cargo trailer so I can not get you the instructions but I will look at Wal-Mart to see if they still carry them.

BC

PS.. The tapes do not reach 100 degrees. If they get above 40 degrees they turn off.. Built in thermocouple. Someone had their facts wrong.

Bobby A

I used the heat strips from Wal-Mart with the cheap white water hose with the blue stripe down the length of it. You can get the hose at Wal-Mart or Camping World.

No it did not melt the hose. Infact the directions indicate it is for use on a water hose if I remember correctly. I have it stored in my cargo trailer so I can not get you the instructions but I will look at Wal-Mart to see if they still carry them.

BC

PS.. The tapes do not reach 100 degrees. If they get above 40 degrees they turn off.. Built in thermocouple. Someone had their facts wrong.

Thanks TX Bobcat, let me know if you find it, I must of got some real bad information. What Department at Walmart ?? Probably the Hardware Dept. ??

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Thanks TX Bobcat, let me know if you find it, I must of got some real bad information. What Department at Walmart ?? Probably the Hardware Dept. ??

Your infomation may be correct somewhat. The heat tape itself may get to 100+ degrees....I ran a quick experiment by placing the thermostat on ice and within 10 minutes the hose went from 60 deg. to 89deg. so i unpluged quickly before it got hotter. A laser temp gun was used to measure the heat. The thermostat controls the internal water temps not the outside hose temps.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
IMHO a hose will not melt at 100 degrees. If it would all of the hoses sitting outside in the Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California summer heat would melt. I have been in temps up to 115 degrees and have never had a hose melt.

Bobby A

Ya know guys, I would love to be able to get all the material at Walmart, Lowes or Home Depot and make my own, which I have seen it done many times without incident. With that said, I still would be unconfortable having that plugged in to my rig in fear of a fire while I'm away. This is our home as we full time, not to mention we have two labs thats like our children waiting for us to get home. It would be to much of a risk in my opinion. If anyone knows of a heat tape that doesn't get that hot, please inform me. After all, we only need it to be above 32 degrees don't we ??

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
The 40 foot hoses are on backorder with a shipping date of 7 november from Doctor Fosters. I'd like to have a hose with the plug on the other end...but, it's not worth $300+ to get it. Their price is good...and it's worth it to me to NOT have to make my own again.