Is plumbing system heated ?

cdnrver

Hopefully this topic is in the right section.

Haven't used our 2009 Sundance 2900mk that much yet so I am still not familiar with our unit as a whole.

We used our unit for a few days this summer - so I had to de-winterize it. We are heading to Texas for the winter around the first week of November. We live in Canada. Our Sundance is currently in storage. Because of the chance of colder nights here BC as we approach our departure time, I'm growing a bit concerned about our water lines freezing before we leave.

My questions are:

1) Is the plumbing system (water lines, waste tanks, hot water tank etc) heated if the furnace is running?

Instead of winterizing our unit again, I was thinking I would just turn the propane on while our unit remains in storage and set the thermostat low enough to keep the trailer warm)

2) I suspect that I will have to put my batteries back in (two deep cell 6v) in order for the furnace to run - but will leaving the furnace on low for a couple weeks discharge my batteries (have no idea how much juice the furnace's electrical components will draw)

thanks

jbeletti

cdnrver,

The underbelly is heated by a single duct off the furnace. While it "may" work to keep your plumbing thawed, I don't think you'll get more than a couple of days on the batteries, depending on how cold it will be getting and how long that cold spell will last.

I suggest that you winterize with compressed air. If you are fuzzy on that or don't have the gear to do it, consider re-winterizing with RV anti-freeze.

Hopefully you'll get input from others with other ideas on this.

Jim

vangoes

If your unit is anything like mine, it only takes about 15 minutes and two gallons of antifreeze to winterize your unit. To run the furnace for any length of time just to keep the lines from freezing could be an expensive tasking versus the antifreeze. For instance, I do not full time but I do travel with the rv several times throughout the winter. I ended up winterizing 4 times last winter due to winter trips. Its no big deal to winterize....save your propane and money for keeping yourselves warm. Use antifreeze.

2010augusta

The furnace does not use much electricity, but the blower fan does. The fan can run down a single 12volt deep cycle in a single night, with freezing temps. With the two six volts you might get 4 days to a week. Save yourself the hassle and winterize the trailer, it is easy and in the long run cheaper.