my suggestions for the new fx-22

jiminny

I hope that the design of the FX-22 may have the capacity for an oven, even if only the half-time option and I also hope the wall thickness may allow for a separate shower faucet and not the dreaded sink faucet extension hose that appears in the Edge M22. Too much water ends up on the floor.

If the design is still in flux at this time and you don't mind any more suggestions... may I suggest you don't include the triangular base cabinet of the M22 for the ent. system in the FX22. Please consider extending the sink counter and cabinets to the door, instead. People need more food prep space and storage. If you mount the TV and stereo above, near the upper cabinets, assuming the thicker wall framing permits, the controls can be kept out of the reach of children, as a bonus.

A pantry cabinet is always a plus, if there is room. Storage under the bunk is also better than pumps or heater blowers, especially during bedtime. I hope the u-shaped dinette slideout will remain, and if not, I hope a long sofabed (72") slideout will replace it.

This is just some food for thought, for what it is worth. I hope you find the suggestions helpful.

Thank you.
Have a great day.

M

Mcreech

I have some good news and bad news.....There is no oven and we did use the triangle counter top for the TV....and the good news is we did use the U-shape dinette and the shower has it's own water supply.......Sorry its not 100% what you wanted but hopefully its good enough...

jiminny

Mike,

Thanks for responding. Where do I begin?

Gotta say I'm a little disappointed. As far as the good news...I took the U-dinette and queen bed as a given, considering you said it would be based on the floorplan of the Edge M22. So I expected those items at the least. But, I am sorry you didn't go with the longer kitchen cab and hang the entertainment system higher. Isn't the wall strong enough for the tv arm? I would much rather have the usable counter space and cabinet for food prep and storage. My kids would have a field day with the various switches and radio/cd player in the triangular base cabinet. Even a low pantry would have been a better choice.

The lack of any oven, even the half-time convection, the one that separated Heartland from the rest of the pack in the first place, is also disappointing.

You mentioned the shower has its own water supply, but in the pictures on the web site it clearly shows the hose coming from the sink faucet.

The length has also shot up to 27'2"....a full 14" longer than the M22! Why?

Let's talk weight for a moment: The FX22 UVW is 810lbs more than the M22 yet the GVWR is only 300# more. That means the M22 has more cargo cap at 1210# than the FX which has only 700#. Now with the larger tanks of the FX (35/37/37), you won't even be able to fill 2 of them and one propane tank before going over cargo cap. This leaves no room for options, hitch, battery, a single stitch of clothing, box of cereal or even a knife and fork. This leads me to ask what kind of frame are you utilizing in this application? Who is the manufacturer and what is the weight rating of the frame?

I remember you last mentioned in one of your posts that the FX would probably have 3500# axles. The website says they are the same 2500# axles found on the M22. Is the frame rating dictating the use of 2500# axles? Did I mention the trailer is more than a foot longer and 800# heavier than the M22? How do you account for this? I got the numbers right off of the website specs pages for both trailers.

I must say, although floorplan is king and I like the idea of the FX22, I would not find it a practical solution for camping.

I still think you folks make a great product and would like to find one I can tow that meets our family's needs.

Thanks for listening.

Jim

M

Mcreech

Let me correct some things....The FX 22 shower uses a hose connected to the sink, I know its not the idea situation but the engineers say its the only thing that can fit. The FX does have 3500lbs axles, the web is wrong in this case. Also the FX series has more of a curved front end, which makes the FX longer then the Edge series....
I hope you find what you are looking for...
Mike C

jiminny

Thank you for the corrections. I think you can see why the 2500# axles would make the FX22 impractical, to say the least. That would have been a major concern and a deal breaker for me. I am glad to learn that the published specifications were in fact, incorrect, and that Heartland will offer the higher rated axles, after all.

Obviously, the section of my last post referring to the whole weight issue and lack of cargo capacity is now rendered moot. But they were the company's numbers, not mine. Of course, the web site errors can be forgiven.

But Mike, you still have not answered my other questions concerning the frame construction. Is the GVWR going to be rated at 7000#, as the combined rating of the axles might suggest? or less? Is the info on the frame manufacturer or frame construction details available to the public?

Just looking for some answers in order that I may learn if you have what I am looking for...

Thanks,

Jim

M

Mcreech

The GVWR is probably going to be set at 5600lbs......but as you know it could be 7000lbs if i wanted it to say that but to many people confuse GVWR to what the trailer actually weighs....... The frame is made from Lippert which makes 90% off all Trailer frames and its a 6" steel I-beam.....hope this helps