Refrigerator not cooling well.........

J-W&E

Our refrigerator when set at #5 (the highest setting) keeps the items in the freezer frozen, however the lowest I can get the refrigerator part is 40-50 degrees. I read on the Trailer Life Forum to move the white plastic slide on the fin up toward the freezer and that would lower the temperature in the refrigerator. Has anyone had any experience with this?? Does anyone have any suggestons as to what might be wrong?
Thanks.

jbeletti

Jim and Wilma,

I am sorry but do not have the answer for you. I hope you hear from others on this. Sorry.

But I may be able to help other Landmark owners with floorplans other than the Grand Canyon.

Looking at the floorplans on the factory site, all Landmark floorplans except the Grand Canyon do not have the refer in a slide-out.

So for those floorplans, I was told by Holmes on Wheels that there are 2 fans above my refer. Those fans pull air in through outside vent on the wall behind the refer and pulls that air and refer heat up through the back of the case and out through that big refer vent on the roof.

I mention this to others because the 1 amp fuse in the 12 VDC circuit that powers my fans was blown and that is why at the rally, my refer would only get down to maybe 43 degrees. Also, for 2 fans, I am now using a 3 amp fuse. I learned to do this as a) my 1 amp fuse was blown and b) many owners of the Mobile Suites trailers had to switch to a 3 amp fuse as soon as they took delivery of their trailers. My fuse was the glass type and in a black plastic fuse holder behind the exterior refer vent on the slide.

Back to Jim and Wilma's issue with their refer that is in the slide-out - my understanding is that the venting is different as you cannot have a vent in the roof of the slide-out itself. I believe they are on the ends or end of the slide as well as on the outward facing wall.

Does anyone know if the Grand Canyon refer also has fans? Holmes did not mention it to me so i am unaware.

Jim

phranc

plastic slide -fridge fan

JW&E.. I have a Bighorn with the reefer in the slide and the temp has fluctuated a little. In an attempt to correct this we have also moved the little plastic slide that is on the fins . We have tried to move it in both directions and have had no results. Temp will hold at 37 - 38 deg and will not get colder no matter where the push button temp control is set.. Or the little plastic slide.. I had deceided it was the nature of the beast untill I learned there were fans in back of the fridge..Now my model ( frdge in slide ) may not have the fan(s) and if not, I will most likely add one.I have several computer chassis fans lying around and a couple of 120V ones also..

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi everyone
I had the same problem, and Butch from RV's for Less called Dometic and they replaced the whole refer. The slide temp adjustment worked for two days and then back to not getting cold in the freezer. The new refer had worked perfect for the last year with the setting on four, gas or electric. They must have had a problem with some units, my Grand Canyon is number 29, built in April or May of 2004. One of the first.

davebennington

Hi all

We had some questions about the frig getting cold enough, so being a tinkerer I played around and did two things.

1. I put a fan in the frig (bought from camping world takes 2 "D" cell bateries).

2. purchased a solar powered fan mounted it under the coils in the back of the frig. that seemed to make a difference, even tho there is a fan in the frig stack.

Dave:)

J-W&E

We have opened the black "brain box" and checked the fuses. There are 2 and they appear OK. I can see above the frig and there is just a large open space because it vents out the top-side......no fan visible. Can you see your fan, Jim or is it located in the roof vent. I should have had this looked at while at the rally, but I thought we could only have the things checked that were listed on our work request form - and the frig had not been entered as a "tweak". It is still under warranty and I also purchased the 3 year extended warranty.

Paul & Nan

Something I learned years ago, from an article in Trailer Life, while living full time in a Hr 5ER, put a small zip lock bag of ice against the fins of the fridge. It somehow fools the brain of the fridge and it stays cold. Have done this in 4 RV's and it always seems to work. Nancy

mike

Mike
We too have had a problem as of late with frig not cooling very well, I had the dealer out twice last week and one of the things that they/Dometic found was a wire that goes to the fans was melted for laying on top of the coils in the back, that has help some but we are still only getting down to arround 40 degrees. Today I have sent another email to Dometic to see if there something else we can do..

Mike

J-W&E

Thank you phranc for the link. It is very helpful. I am going to move the thermo clip in (2 fins from the right) and also toward the top. I will allow 24 hours, then see what the temperature is. Thanks !!!!