What to do with the extra space?...Add a freezer.

2010augusta

Well today we did another modification. As we now signed up with Costco, and can buy lots of frozen goods at good prices, we decided we needed more room in the freezer, sooooo.... We looked on-line and found the Lowe's had a nice 5cf chest freezer for a good price and it would fit in the "empty" corner where the table and chairs used to be.

Attachments

• DSCN8368.JPG
    DSCN8368.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 262
  • DSCN8370.JPG
    DSCN8370.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 242

skyguy

If that was my freezer.it would be crying for some kind of covering to get rid of that stark white contast.

A wood veneer, or even some faux wood contact paper would be better!

IMHO, of course:D:D

Al S

2010augusta

Yup, just trying to figure out how to deal with the trim pieces first, Might have to spray paint it some and then wrap with contact paper for a cherry finish. Maybe black and brushed stainless would go better with the other appliances. I'll just have to wait and see what finishes I can find.;)

f150k

Al Contact a sign company and have them wrap it, like they do for race car. They can print on vinyl anything you want. Our son has a shop, we had him do some of our photos on vinyl for our unit.

rick_debbie_gallant

Hey, I know. How about wrapped with some heartland graphix like what is on the front of some of the big horn or big country or landmark. or even....................:)

SmokeyBare

We decided on having a freezer as well. Our choice was to get a 3 Cubic foot with a front door. (Not a Chest type) The freezer has 4 plastic drawers that hold quite a bit. We placed it in the front closet space where a washer/dryer combo unit would go.

TanDumb

Kim and Chris
We decided on having a freezer as well. Our choice was to get a 3 Cubic foot with a front door. (Not a Chest type) The freezer has 4 plastic drawers that hold quite a bit. We placed it in the front closet space where a washer/dryer combo unit would go.
Good idea!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Yep - that washer/dryer area works great for an extra apartment-size refrigerator. Seems like we used to never have a big enough refrig will camping but now that problem is fixed. :) :) :)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Marv, it sounds as if you have the exact same freezer as we do. Avanti? If so, do you have a little excess frost right under the temp control dial?

SmokeyBare

Ray, Yes it is an Avanti. The temperature control is located in the back outside of the freezer. I can just reach around the corner... right side of the freezer... below the main box... and close to the Compressor. I just checked, No Frost that I felt... but to do it right so I can see, I need to get a flashlight and a mirror... that I will check tomorrow.

Marv

nemo45

Now you need an inverter so you can run the freezer when you're going down the road. I use an 900W inverter I mounted in the basement on the wall next to the hydraulic compartment and hooked it to the battery in there. Works great. We have our freezer in the basement next to the 110V outlet.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We installed a 3.1 refer/freezer combo where the w/d goes from Lowes. Works great. It will freeze coke cans in the fridge if your not careful.:eek:

SmokeyBare

Ray, No frost forming behind the Freezer near the controls... armed with a flash light & hand mirror I looked today.

Nemo, I could run the Freezer with our 2000 Watt inverter I have connected to a battery bank and solar panels. I would, IF I felt it was needed... BUT we have satisfied out concerns over traveling with both the freezer and the fridge turned off. We've been full timing for 5 years now... with both our (SOB) as well as our Bighorn and have yet to ever melt any of the frost off the walls of the Dometic Fridge/Freezer. The fridge stays off for many hours at a time, many miles we travel each day. But as you say... Its nice to have an Inverter as a back up. :)

Marv

Happy Campers

That's a great tip on using a inverter as we have had our 5 CF freezer for 3 years.We don't keep it full but in bulk buying it sure helps on the space issue.We are planning on going to alaska this spring and I was thinking generator but the inverter is looking better.
Thanks

rick_debbie_gallant

hrs run w/o power

We have an avanti freezer also. It is either a 3 cf or 5 cf not sure. got it at abc warehouse in mi. Anyway, we have gone as long as 24 hours with zero power. Before we cut the cord from land we would let it cool way below zero by setting it on max. Then we would put a blanket over top. Like I said we went 24 hours before plugging in and the warmest it got in the box was 16 degrees.

rvn4fun

Our little freezer

Hopefully the picture will show up. Sure saves us alot of money, and stays hidden in washer closet.

Attachments

• DSC02862.jpg
    DSC02862.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 63