Hitch with a Bedliner ?

highrail

My new Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab came with a factory bedliner. Will it have to be removed to install a 5th wheel hitch. I will have a reese 15K or 16K installed. Sure would like to keep the liner if possible. Anybody know if this can be done. Should pick up my BG 3400RL around the 22nd of July.

Thanking you in advance
Tom in TN

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Oh ya

I have a plastic bedliner also. The dealer that installed my hitch actually cut (2) openings in the liner for the rails and it looks great but you kinda loose that liner action. I also have a folding hard cover for the bed so it doesn't bother me so much having those (2) openings in the liner.

Hope this helps,

Mark

BluegrassMan

Hey Highrail and Mrcomer:
My dad has a drop-in bedliner and a 5th wheel hitch in his Ford. The installer used metal rods under the liner where ther ribs in the liner are. This made a strong even base to draw the bolts against, under the bed the brackets are bolted to the frame like always. I hope this helps, I will tell you though, it's a f-150 and a 24ft. 5ver if that makes any difference.

nhunter

I have a 3/4" plywood box liner and a Reese 16K slider hitch. They just cut out the box liner and mounted like usual.

J

Jim_1899

I wanted to ask a question about spray in bedliners. Should I have them remove the whole fifth wheel hitch from the bed before they spray the bed? Or should they just take off the hitch and leave the two bars and mask them?

I have an appointment on Monday so any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jim

DennisZ

Jim
My rails are installed over the spray in lining, I think that would be your best solution, that way you have the whole bed covered in case you want to remove the hitch rails in case you were to sell the truck.

Dennis

5erWonk

My B&W hitch was installed by the same guy that did the bedliner. He cut all the holes, then did the spray in liner, then added the hitch hardware after the liner material set-up for about 24hr.....The guy did a great job!!

BluegrassMan

I had my rails put in a day or two after mine was sprayed. (Rhino),way back then there weren't the "new" types of sprayed liners, My next truck will have Line-X. It sets up almost imediately, my Rhino was still somewhat soft when they torqued the rails down. I know it would have a little marking if I took the rails out. It really doesn't matter to me though.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
My previous truck had the spray in liner over the rails. I masked off the holes the hitch mounts in. My current truck will be done the same way. I don't think it would be possible to convince me that the spray in liner doesn't have some effect on reducing the torque applied to the bolts holding the rails to the frame brackets. I understand others have attached rails over the liner. To each their own. I'm not an engineer or rocket scientist. Just plain logic here???

BluegrassMan

When you assemble an engine, the most important thing is torque. pieces are torqued down in RTV silicone, composite gaskets, permatex, etc. Your valve covers are either rubber or RTV. That shouldn't affect anything, I'm not an engineer either, just worked for Mack Trucks Inc. for 38yrs in the Engine Assembly Dept. That bedliner will be like a washer, and will only squish so far, then it's solid like. Forgetaboutit!

nhunter

I'm with Bluegrassman, torque it to specs and you will be good. If you are worried retorque after the first time pulling.

Uncle Rog

Howdy, I had my hitch initially mounted with cut outs in the liner. I weas wrestling my generator around in the back and almost slipped and could have been hurt for sure. I ripped out the liner and had a spray on installed two days later, much better and safer..........UR

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
If I were to do it again, I would get a spray in bedliner. I would not let them spray the rails for the hitch. ;)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
BluegrassMan said:
When you assemble an engine, the most important thing is torque. pieces are torqued down in RTV silicone, composite gaskets, permatex, etc. Your valve covers are either rubber or RTV. That shouldn't affect anything, I'm not an engineer either, just worked for Mack Trucks Inc. for 38yrs in the Engine Assembly Dept. That bedliner will be like a washer, and will only squish so far, then it's solid like. Forgetaboutit!

I guess that makes a lot of sense. I stand corrected. I still like the appearance of the rails being sprayed though so I'll still spray over the rails in the newer truck. I guess it's a personal choice thing. Thanks for enlightening me though.

Uncle Rog

mrcomer, I pulled the rails to have the bed sprayed, not easy without a 90 degree rattle wrench, had the bed done and sprayed the rails top and bottom and over the side rails also. It is not rust proof, but it is pretty rust resistant and looks really good. I then added the retractable cargo hooks to the bed rails to add tie downs.....UR