Water heater maintenance tool and WARNING

2010augusta

Well today I thought I would drain and flush the water heater because it might be the last nice day for a while. I bought the "tank saver" flushing wand at camping world for about $11.00. and a new anode rod. The wand is suppose to break-up and rinse out any sediments in the water heater. We must not have had much sediment because I got very little "stuff" out, and we do not use a "whole house" filter, just a small one on the refrigerator water dispenser/ice-maker line. Any how it seems to be a good product to have to do maintenance on the water heater.

The surprise in this maintenance was the sticker included with the new anode rod. It has the following in bold print: "REMOVE DRAIN PLUG EVERY 30 DAYS AND INSPECT" I thought that every six months was adequate, but with some recent posts that included a broken anode rod stuck in the tank, maybe more regular inspections would be appropriate.

Attachments

• DSCN8376.JPG
    DSCN8376.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN8380.JPG
    DSCN8380.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 45

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
WOW - I'm with you thinking that once every 6 months was good. Hum - will have to rethink maintenance procedures. Thanks for the headups.

brunsje

I took mine out last weekend and was AMAZED at how much of the anode rod was gone! We bought the camper the latter part April and I checked it September 19th.
I'll be putting a new one in this week! 3/4 of it was gone! I think every 30 days would be a wise idea!