Satellite Antenna recommendations

Clark

My brother has a 32 foot 5er down in Arkansas and was asking me about the various good points and bad for different types of satellite dishes as he is thinking about getting one. I don't use satellite myself so would like to throw the question out to this group and get your recommendation/opinions. Roof mounted or ground, automatic scan or manual, VuCube or TracVision? Appreciate anything that you have to say.
Thanks, Clark

jnbhobe

On the ground on a tripod with lots of coax. That way you can move it where you can get a signal. JON :cool: :cool: :cool:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have a Wineguard automatic dish on the RV roof. Works great as long as I have a clear sky. Get in trees and forget it. So we will always be the ones in the sun with no shady site. Oh well at least our satellite works.

2010augusta

I second the tri-pod and lots of coax, I can setup the system in under 10 minutes most of the time, and I got the dish, tri-pod and two 60' runs of coax for free from DirecTV.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
3rd the tri-pod with lots of coax. That way you can move it to get the best clear sky view. We also mounted a pvc pipe on the back of the ladder to mount the post of the satelite dish on if we need to have the dish higher to clear trees.

sealman

Motosat HD sat on roof..No problems...Just push a button...If trees are gonna be a problem it may not be for you
John

I have the Vu Qube system. Sattelite dish in a box. I carry 100 feet of coax with it and have never failed to get a picture, wherever I am. I just point the cube in a close proximity hook up the coax. Press # 1 or 2 depending on which sattellite I wish to hit and presto. 2-3 minutes.... no fuss, no muss and football is crytal clear.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I agree with sealman. We have a motosat HD 5LNB on the roof and it works great. Location on roof is the big question. Mine is toward the front but I have been advised to put above front door. Also motosat keeps updating their system and you have to go on their website to find out as they don't have an email list to send warnings out that updates are here. I still think its the best on the market. You must choose between Dish and Direct TV. We chose the latter and are very pleased. Trees can be a problem but if all u do is watch tv in your rig, you mite as well stay home.

Clark

Very Big Thanks to all of you for your input on this. I copied your comments and emailed them to my brother for his decision. I had recently seen the VuCube in Camping World Myrtle Beach and thought that it might be a good alternative to a dish on a tripod (which could be subject to getting knocked over easily). I will let my brother make his decision and go with which one he thinks is best for him.
Clark

Delaine and Lindy

Traveler RooF mount....

We options for the Traveler Wingard roof mount. And it works like a charm. We have had HDTV since it was available and have always used a Tri-Pod. Have never had a problem setting up the Tri-Pod, we also have a Birdog and very seldom use it. If you decide on the Tri-Pod get a good heavy duty leg adjustable type, the key to setting up for HDTV is make sure its level. After you set the system a few times it should take 30 or less from start to finish. However if it were me I would go with the Traveler roof mount by Winguard. Each have their own opinion. If you plan on doing a lot of State parks or boondocking you will need a Tri-Pod. We try to avoid Trees, they cause nothing but problems. But now when I spot the 5er in a site DW has to push one button and by the time I'm level and hook up the electric and water which takes less than 20 minuntes the Traveler has already been up and running. And when you get ready to depart push one button and thats it. As I said we avoid Trees as much as possible and when using the Tri-Pod I very seldom had to use more than 50' of coax. Its your choice, buy what you want. Stay away from Trees, nothing but problems. I'm in a park that has trees but we just finished our Rally, and reservations were made for us. So I'm having to park the Freightliner and HHR down at the office. Don't like Tree sap. GBY....

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I use a VuQube, too. Self levels, lightweight, takes about 1-2 minutes to lock in. $700 from Tweety's when I got it. No problems here. I have DirecTv and only one standard receiver.

rjr6150

Kathy and I have he VQube 2000 total automatic push the button and have all three dish sat within about 2-4 minutes. We have dish with hd:D

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Question... Doesn't the Cube only have one coaix connection.

What do you do if you want to go to 2 receivers??

I just got a new receiver that has the DVR and have it hooked up in the bed room. I run on cable to the bedroom and one to the living room. Have a second cable to the living room so I can record shows when I move the receiver to the living room.

BC

SmokeyBare

The cube can only look at one satellite at a time... if you use a dish service that uses 2 LNB's... then the remote must be switched from one satellite to the other... which makes the Cube re-aim.

jgallego

The winegard roof mount can be connected to two recievers and does not have to move to view more than one satellite. It is also high definition and automtically locates the satelites. I have one and it works great. I have separate receivers for the bedroom and living area.

Jaime

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
How do you lock down your vucube?

I never have...yet. So far I have always set it on the ground near a slide. May have to put it on the roof someday to avoid trees.

Question... Doesn't the Cube only have one coaix connection.

What do you do if you want to go to 2 receivers??

I just got a new receiver that has the DVR and have it hooked up in the bed room. I run on cable to the bedroom and one to the living room. Have a second cable to the living room so I can record shows when I move the receiver to the living room.

BC

Like Marv said. Dish allows you to program 2 satellites in and swap when you need, by a push of a button. I only have one satellite with DirecTv and one standard receiver. I have the VuQube 1000, but noticed recently they have models 2000 and 3000 out now also. Not sure of all the differences but the go up tremendously in price. :eek: